Does the game suck?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JackNg, May 15, 2010.

1. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer
    Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a long time. I notice that most of you are very friendly and helpful.

I am developer of Uggy. Yesterday, we have released a new game called Doodle Pubbox. It is a puzzle game which is totally a new type in app store.

Uggy is not selling well and i am afraid that Doodle Pubbox may still selling bad. I have promote Doodle Pubbox in TA forum and seems not many people are interested in it. There is only one reply.
    You can check this TA post.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=54758
    I also sent tons of email to review site like Uggy did, but i think no people will wanna review it. Sad........

I would like to ask you guy if you think Uggy or Doodle Pubbox is interesting?
    I wanna know if i fail because the game is really suck. If the game is suck, why?

2. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I suggest getting a better translation of your description text. Also, Uggy is a bit easier to guess how the gameplay works. What is 'Pubbox'?

3. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

After reading you description I've no idea what the game is about. Moving the box to the exit, but what's the challenge? Also, you should have your description written (or checked at least) by a native English speaker. There are quite a few errors in it.

The name is not very good, IMO. Pubbox is a weird name and it says nothing about the game. I haven't checked how your icon looks on the iPhone, but if it's the same as in iTunes, I guess it looks quite croweded; it looks as if it was actually 4 icons crammed into one. Name & icon are very a important factor in attracting people to your game.

I also think that the graphics are a bit lacking. It's ok to go simple (actually I recommend it to non-artists), but in this case it's a bit too simple. Your screenshots are not much to look at... Besides, you chose a "doodle" style, but you didn't stick to it. Those concentric circles and spirals, for example, are not doodley at all, they're too perfect. You should have also chosen a more handwritten looking font. And why do the bombs have a "9" on them, why not just... a bomb?

Given all of this, if I just happend to come accross your game on iTunes I would most certainly let it pass. Sorry for the brutal honesty, but I actually hope my impressions help you make your game better in a future update.

4. waterduck

waterduck Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Chef
    UK
    Does the game suck

will it work same as for the iPod classics??

5. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I tried the lite and it seemed boring. If you make the first correct move the level is basically done.

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I actually think it is MUCH harder to compete by deving casual games because its harder to stand out, hence why your sales arent as high as expected. Also its harder to market because there are 100x more casual games then "fully featured" ones out there for the iPhone. Unfortunately the simple truth of the app store is that you need more then just good gameplay to succeed now that the market is so saturated. You need good graphics (whether they're just quality or original), you need a fresh concept, you need amazing presentation, and THEN you need good gameplay :eek:

While your games don't look bad by any means, I must admit imo there just isn't much to make them stand out.

Basically here's the dilemma: while yes, "most" of the app store buyers are probably casual gamers (not to say there isnt a big inbetween market, as well as a large gamer crowd), there is no place to market casual games to casual gamers, making it VERY hard to get noticed! They typically just pick up games on a whim that look cool or are on the top 25. Most casual gamers are not going to research their purchases here on TA for example before they blow $0.99. The flip side of the coin is making fully featured games. They're harder to make, and you're competing with "the big boys." While you have a better chance of getting people to notice your game this way (via all these iphone gaming websites) and are targeting more of a specific market, will people really want to pick it up over say, a new Gameloft game? Additionally the "gamer" market is ultimately smaller then the casual market, so it is harder to hit it really big (this is why the Fruit Ninjas, the Doodle Jumps, the Mega Jumps and Impossible Games forever dominate the top 10).

Heh, sorry if that was long winded...

7. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

The marketing could definitely be made better. Remember the user's point of view. The typical things while browsing on iTunes are:
    1. Icon, Name. This is what grabs your attention while scrolling through a huge list of games. If it sounds interesting, then..
    2. Description. (Especially the first 2 lines. Not everyone reads the whole thing :)) If it sounds like it could be fun, then..
    3. Screenshots. What is the "game" about? Does it look something *I* will enjoy?

People above have already commented on the first two points, so moving to the third point.. screenshots.

Take a look at a successful game, like Fruit Ninja for example: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52604

Just looking at the screenshots, you can begin to form an idea of what's waiting for you inside. Clear words explain the game "Beautiful Fruit, Effortless Controls, Stunning Splatter". And when you look at the screenshot and that description, you do get an idea of what kind of game it *might* be.

Unfortunately, with Pubbox, I can't really figure out what kind of game it is from the screenshots. Remember that since you developed the game, this might all be very obvious to YOU. But to me looking at it, I'm thinking "Hmm.. what's the game here? What character am I? Where am I? What do I do?" I couldn't figure this out till I went to the description screenshot.

So, my suggestions would be:
    1. Have a nicer icon
    2. Polish the description text
    3. Find a way to make the screenshots communicate the "game" better

8. Well, with regard to the games, you've chosen to develop highly derivative games, which means you're competing against tons of other games that are largely the same. That immediately puts you at a disadvantage as you then have the task of making your games stand out by being different -- significantly so, if you want to attract attention, and from what I can see there's not really a whole lot that's different in your games versus its peers.

While marketing can be particularly tough, and there are some good, basic suggestions here for improvement, it is tougher still for even the best marketing to sell games that themselves don't appear to be significantly different than similar games on the App Store. It doesn't mean your games suck, it just means they don't stand out enough to get noticed.

There are bascally two ways to make money on the App Store: Make derivative games like this, but make a lot of them and hope to make up for slow sales with volume, or develop something different, something that doesn't quite fit into the same mould many other games do. That's a pretty tough things to do these days, but the rewards are worth it if you manage to come up with a concept that's both different and entertaining.

9. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer
    Thx GregH and ArtCoder

I will get a better descprition text.

10. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer
    I come across the name because it is puzzle about box. I just call it pubbox.
    I will try to have a nicer icon. Thx for your suggestion.

I think it is really challenging to tell a gameplay when it comes to puzzle game. I changed the screenshot with some description on it. It is better?

It is OK ArtCoder. Brutal honesty is the best. Your impression really help. Thanks!

11. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer

Those are really good points. At first, i think the game can at least stand out a bit because i can't really find the same puzzle type. After reading your reply, i think i should compared with all puzzle game instead of a certain puzzle type.

12. JackNg

JackNg Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ya. The first few level of Beginner level is quite easy. However, level start from Intermediate difficulty can be really challenging.
    Actually, i unlock all level in the coming update to ensure that some people like you, can enjoy the harder levels.
    Thanks for your impression.