Universal Prizefighters - 2D Arcade Boxing Game coming December 14th! (by Koality Game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KoalityGame, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KoalityGame

KoalityGame Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    #1 KoalityGame, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hey TA!

Prizefighters is a 2D arcade boxing game that I've been working on since the beginning of the year. The graphics and gameplay are inspired by the classic NES game Punch-Out!, however, I've added my own vision and designed the control scheme specifically for mobile phones and tablets. With zero on-screen controls, you have the ability to attack your opponent's head or body by tapping or holding your finger on the screen to pull off 8 different punches of varying strengths. Mix a few punches together and create your own combos for increasing damage.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Block your face or body from incoming punches by holding down two fingers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dodge by swiping left or right. If you time your dodge successfully, your opponent will become momentarily 'stunned' giving you the opportunity to land a knockout punch! Fail to dodge, however, and that can mean bad news for you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Punch too often and your player will become fatigued and unable to attack. Stamina management will be key throughout the fight.

[​IMG]

If three rounds pass without a knockout, the fight will go to the scorecards where the result will either be a draw, split, or unanimous decision decided by three judges.

[​IMG]

Career Mode

Prizefighters will also feature a reasonably in-depth career mode. You begin at rank #30 and will fight your way up to the top against 29 other randomly generated opponents so you'll never play the same career twice. Along the way, you'll attempt to defeat three different champions to earn their belts and eventually become the undisputed champion of the world!

[​IMG]

Player Progression and Customization

After fights, you'll gain experience and coins which you can then spend on customization options, rating upgrades, or choose between one of two unique abilities in the skill tree every time you level up. What kind of fighter you want to become is entirely up to you!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Planned Features and Open Beta

Other modes include an Arcade mode with modifiable game settings and an online head-to-head mode that will be coming in a later update. Prizefighters will be free to play with a planned release date of December 14th and an open beta coming in the next week or so. If you're interested in testing just PM me your email and invitations will be sent out via TestFlight when available.

Please let me know your thoughts on the game so far and thank you for your time!

Twitter
    Facebook

Screenshots

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ZAF<3

ZAF<3 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Will there be an IOS version as well?

3. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    #3 KoalityGame, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Of course! I plan on supporting both iPhone and iPad. If you're interested in beta testing via TestFlight, you can PM me your email address. Invitations should be sent out next week!

4. savedmanallos@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2014
    Prizefighters level up suggestion

Wow this looks like a great concept! Great work so far. i want to suggest something concerning level up of stats to diffrentiate this game from the slew of others.
    What about using a skyim-like experience gain system in which your successful use of a particular move ie. jab, hook, dodge etc levels up that trait which then opens that skill tree to further skills.
    e,g, 500 successful jabs gives the option to increase jab speed (less likely to dodge or block) jab strength ( health depletion) or jab technique (less stamina consumption and greater combo potential)
    500 successful dodges gives the option to increase dodge speed or stun length or special punches.
    I feel that this system would make for more diverse play and a greater attachment to the game because you are committed to your own development.
    daily training regime bonuses would also encourage player investment
    What do you think? i have some other ideas...

5. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    This is really an amazing idea! I was more of a Dark Souls player rather than Skyrim which is where I initially borrowed the Stamina and Upgrade systems, so I appreciate hearing about mechanics from other games that I have yet to play.

Although I don't want to completely remove the current upgrade system I have in place since it took some time to implement and will push the game's release back further, I will definitely consider using your idea in some way, possibly tying it in with achievements or other skill bonuses.

Thanks for the feedback! I would also love to hear about any other ideas that you have to improve the game :)

6. Satish Kumar

Satish Kumar Member

Nov 4, 2017
  7. savedmanallos@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2014
  8. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
  9. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Love the look and the idea of a punch out style RPG, one thought on the controls - it mentions that at points you may need to use two fingers to block etc - it’d be great if there was a control option to play one handed in portrait mode - perhaps using touch3d to block when you press hard on the screen?

10. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    Hi Stelph, this is a great suggestion! I've thought about gamers that want to play with just one hand and using Touch 3d sounds like a perfect solution. I will look into implementing it into the game, thanks for the feedback!

11. TempleRacer

TempleRacer Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Looks tight. How do the controls work?

12. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    Thank you! The screen is divided up in half horizontally and vertically so that there are four total inputs. The left side of the screen controls your left arm, and the right side controls your right arm. Tapping the top half of the screen will target the face, and tapping the bottom half will target the body. These are your basic attacks and are quick to execute.

Holding your finger in any of these quadrants will 'charge' up your punch for a strong attack. For example, holding your finger on the top and right side of the screen will charge up an uppercut for the strongest attack in the game. Because these punches take longer to pull off, you're more vulnerable to a counter attack by the opponent and can result in a stun, so be cautious of when to use them. They also consume more stamina than a basic attack.

You can guard your face by holding down two fingers anywhere above the horizontal axis, or guard your body with two fingers below. Dodging is executed by swiping either left or right. If you get knocked down, tapping the screen will get your fighter back up.

13. Satish Kumar

Satish Kumar Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Thanks

14. TempleRacer

TempleRacer Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Nice one!

15. slack8182

slack8182 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2017
  16. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    Beta?

Hello!
    Getting such punch out nostalgia from this!
    Any spots left to beta test?
    ( My test flight is [email protected]
    Just in case!)
    It looks great and I'll be checking it out regardless :D

17. RedDeluxe

RedDeluxe Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Westcoast
    This game looks freaking awesome!!! Can't wait to try it.

18. luizkazan

luizkazan New Member

Nov 14, 2017
  19. KoalityGame

Patreon Bronze

Jun 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Portland OR
    I've added you all to the list!

Thank you! I'm excited to hear what you guys think of the game.

20. ananomoose

ananomoose New Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Looks awesome!

I’m really looking forward to giving this game a shot, and I was thinking about the one handed playing.

First, I second the 3D Touch idea, that was great. Second, If I understand correctly, the entire screen is split in 4, which I like WAY better than virtual buttons. But, I’ve got a plus sized phone, and maybe if you also had the option to switch the controls to be split in 4 on just half the screen as well, we could reach all of the areas one handed on the bigger phones.