Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I hate ads and never click on them.

Also sadly I've had to delete several games I really enjoyed because the ads were just too annoying or got in the way of the game.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far! I totally agree, any ad that puts a break in the gameplay is annoying and will be avoided. My plan right now is for a banner add on the main title screen and possibly on the options screen. I'm debating about whether or not there is any appropriate place to put a pop ad (or maybe another banner / link to a free game).

Also mentioned, if you paid for the app, there shouldn't be ads in it is my opinion as well. My game will be free to play, hence this post. My next game idea I feel caters towards a premium game (not free to play) and I would never think of putting ads in it.

@kioshi, I thought of putting something in the developer forums and may do so eventually to get developer thoughts on the effectiveness of ads in generating revenue. But right now I'm more interested in how they affect players like yourselves.

@Nobunaga, you bring up a good point. My plan was to have any IAP you purchase remove the ads, so I'll have to figure out how to make this work with consumables. My goal is also to make the game completely playable and enjoyable, without the need to ever make a purchase. I'm debating if ads would be worth it to help with the monetization in these cases.

In the end, I know this is my first game and my expectations are not too high for the revenue it will generate. The idea started from an old game I used to play some ~12 years ago. Its a simple concept, but I do believe the game will be fun for others and worth their time to play it (especially since its free). I definitely don't want to ruin the experience with annoying ads. I would love to recoup my costs making it, however, I would much rather build a game that doesn't make any money but gains a good reputation for itself and for me as the developer.

Jason