Favourite gameplay Style/Genre on Handheld

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    #1 Jyaw3, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    Hello Everyone! (2nd post! I'll stop counting now, anymore is hard =))

So I've got a game coming out (in approval) Tetris/Columns falling block type. Will post more when it gets approved. I'd call this style genre, Real-Time Puzzle.

And another which is about 70-80% complete that's, Turn-Based Puzzle

So now my question to you guys is, what's your favourite style of gameplay and genre? I'm looking for ideas on a 3rd game, and essentially I want to ask the community (or as many people as I can) what kind of game they like to play and why?

You can send me messages in private if you got a great game idea (remember I'm only one person, so nothing like an MMO pls) or you can just list out games and why. Keep in mind, this relates to handheld devices.

As for me right now, Personally, I think I prefer turn-based game play, I just fine that in a lot of situations when I'm using it, there's always an occasion where someone will talk to me, or something that when i'm playing something that takes concentration and I have to react is just hard to go in and out of. As for genres, I like puzzle or strategy, as they both seem to lend themselves well to that style of gameplay.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'd personally like a Crackdown clone. Can you make a game that's graphics match this? It also has to run at at least 60 FPS.

[​IMG]

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Fapp apps, mostly.

4. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    can you really match the 360's graphics with an iphone/itouch? how bout a turn based rpg? i'm sure it'll work well with the iphone/itouch

5. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Tower defense games :D

6. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    360 graphics...ya...no :p

I have thought about an rpg actually, the only issues with it are
    1. A lot of Art/Sound is needed
    2. An actual good story
    3. The market, while there are gamers who would like it, I don't know how well it would appeal to others/mass audience.
    4. Cost if oyu made a good rpg I couldn't see it selling for less than like $15-20
    5. Would you play it on a hand held? Sure there are some rpgs out there for handhelds (lots actually) but people who play them are Gamers and probably not the average person

But I guess if you like rpgs, the question that I'll ask now is, what do you like about them?

7. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Ya I considered making a tower defence game, there's quite a few out there though.

Though I guess I'll pitch this out their to people, What do you like in a TD?

Variety of towers? Different Creep Types (Flying/Armoured/Immune)? Creativity? Lots/Few Upgrades?

Fixed Path or Mazing Path? Squares or Hexagons?

Scenario, like you progress to unlock towers, or do you prefer all towers to be self contained within one level?

Any features you'd like to see in a TD that hasn't been done?

8. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    it doesn't have to be extravagant, i prefer it 2D with sprites anyway. If i had to list what i like about rpg's, here they are. good story, decent music and sound, and good gameplay.

9. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Okay, so if it were an RPG game, What battle style do you like/prefer?

Action
    Zelda LTTP/Phantom Hourglass - Top Down/ 3/4 view
    (Some game I can't remember) - Side view - kinda like a 2d beatem up

Turn Based

Final Fantasy - World Map/City Map/Separate battlefield
    Chrono Trigger - World Map/City Map (Fights happen on the map)
    Dragon Quest - First Person Battle mode
    Golden Sun - Separate characters from overworld view but generally side

I am considering making an RPG since there's not that many out there, my concern is really what/how to deal with art, since I don't want to require too many different people.

10. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    OMGOMGOMG please make a game like fire emblem!! I like advance wars but i get sick of advance wars clones on app store. If you don't know what fire emblem is, it's a turn based strategy game, but you have characters who you carry from one mission to another and there is classes and upgrades and statistics and different weapons and if a character dies he's gone for good. Basically my fav game of all time. If you make it i will probably cry in joy

11. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Fire Emblem eh? I've never personally played it myself but I do hear people like it. I've got some questions, When the player is in the world map mode, and their little icon moves, is that all automated? ie, it's a completely linear game?

Also other than city to city, the only other type of movement becomes in the battle, when moving your units? How do you get more units?

When I look at the game it reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic (a game I personally love) But then again I don't know of the popularity of it, I'd say Advance Wars looks like it's something in between FE and HOMM, since you can build troops but battle movement is more like FE.

So people's thoughts? do you think a game like this would be popular?

12. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    yes i believe it would be, but i prefer chrono trigger style. but fire emblem would be awesome.

13. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

A Fire Emblem clone or a Fire Emblem exclusive for iPhone would be very awesome. Definite buy at even $9.99.

14. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    haha lets hope it isn't

15. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    well i would say just make a simple cheap game that you have to get highscores for. make it simple clean graphics and a global table. maybe something where you customise it yourself. make it have lots of replay value and you got yourself a best selling game.

16. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

o_O?

17. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    Fire emblem and advance wars are both from i believe the dev is intelligent systems correct me if I'm wrong. I know they are both from the same dev just not positive that's it. But yeah you might want to get a gba emulator and try out fire emblem (no subtitle). The way it works is you have a hero that is the main character of the story. If he/she dies, you have to start over the level. If other characters die, you can continue, but you lose that character forever. The way it is different from other strategy games is that since they are not nameless characters that you produce. You might meet a character in your quest and he is automatitcally added to your party, or you might see him in the map as a green character (neutral) with his own agenda, and if you talk to him with a certain character, or in some cases pay him, he will join you. This can also happen occasionally with red enemy characters, you talk to them with a certain character and you can convert them to your team. All your characters can level up with certain amounts of xp that they gain from battle or if they are a healing character, healing. The max level is 20. Once they get to level 10, and if you have the correct seal that you find in either the map or is given to you, you can use it to level up the character. In the first fire emblem on gba there was only one upgraded version of each class, but you had the option to choose from 2 in the second one. Certain classes can wield more weapon types, and have different statistic limits. When characters level up their strenth, agility, etc. go up. It has so much depth that when I play I calculate everything and plan out these ridiculous plans of battle that I carry out. Then there are weapon triangles. Sword beats axe, axe beats lance, lance beats sword. Then in the physical weapons class there are also bows. Then there is the magic weapons class. Regular mage stuff (fire, lightning) don't remember what it is called beats light magic, light magic beats dark magic, and dark magic beats mage stuff. Then there is also healing magic. You can only weild weapons of certain calibur if your character is proficient with that weapon type. You can only have one weapon type per character with proficiency S, and at the end of the game usually you get special weapons with proficiency S. There is trading of items/weapons, and you usually get a merchant so you can carry more items into battle. And the weapon triangle system doesn't gauruntee a win, it just gives the character with the better weapon an edge in battle. I can go on and on about the game, but you really should try it for yourself. Get a gba emulator and try both of the fire emblem games on gba. If you do decide to this game, I advise you to play throught both of them to completion so you can really get the feel of it. And just as a note, you will prob want to get a good artist if you do this. Having high quality character sprites and good tilesets will mean alot. There are several turn based strategy games on the platform, and besides the rpg elements of yours, what will sell your game at a higher price will be the production values. And make sure you nail the menus and whatnot because if not done properly, it can come out clunky like in uniwar and reign of swords.

18. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    the app store is completely devoid of a turn based srpg in the vein of fft, so many advance wars clones

19. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    just in response to my earlier post I'm very proud of myself for remembering it was intelligent systems who developed every fire emblem game back to the nes and advance wars. As I was searching I was thinking to myself, wait wasn't intelligent systems paper mario? Turns out they developed that too, all 3 of them.

20. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I've been buying a number of ipod touch games to see which genre I like the most. FPS, TPS, RTS, puzzlers, online games, platform adventure games, racing. I really like them all.