Trouble with iControlPad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by landhuman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I thought there may be some experienced ICP users here that might know something about this...

Mine recently arrived, but I've had zero success so far getting it to do antyhing useful.

I have a non-jailbroken iPhone 4, so I realise the analogue sticks are out - and that I can only pair it in keyboard mode.

It pairs ok, but I can't figure out how to make any games respond to it properly. I've tried iMame - which crashes moments after the buttons do little/nothing, jamming it up.

I've also tried Mos Speed Run, but the controls jam in strange ways. Most of the time, it gets stuck in a certain direction, repeatedly jumping. If I mash buttons, I can occasionally make him stop running, but it's really absolutely 100% unplayable.

Is there a game I can try that definitely works fine on a non jailbroken device?

2. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Probably would find more help on icontrolpad forums http://boards.openpandora.org/

But I'll give it a try. When you turn on the iCP make sure you are holding ABX while u hold start to get it in iCade mode. Then probably going to need to delete and re-add to bluetooth paired devices. Try all the buttons because sometimes games have strange icade controls and they map to buttons like start or L on the iCP. unfortunate.
    Not sure about imame because I dont use it, but there's a thread with all icade games listed on TA somewhere
    Free games with iCade mode to test out I would suggest baby monkey, league of evil lite, league of evil 2 lite etc...

There is one game that uses analogue sticks without a jailbreak, and I highly suggest getting it. Vertex blaster 0.99. Connect by holding AX and start to enter special packet mode, pair it up again (easier if you upgrade to v2.3 firmware, doesnt need to be re-paired when changing to a different HID bluetooth mode), connect to icontrolpad in options in the app and voila, a dual stick shooter with actual sticks! you can also remove the onscreen sticks to make the battlefields easier to see.

3. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Also just to say that jailbreaking makes these controllers so much better, not only are the more emulators available, most with native iCP support, but you can get a program called blutrol and 'patch in' icade controls for any app with virtual buttons. Again theres another list of these on TA somewhere, but imagine street fighter 4 with a dpad that works, all those platformers that forget icade support, and some big 3d games like prince of persia and galaxy on fire with proper controls.
    Just saying...

4. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. I got it to work finally by (re)trying your suggested icade mode bootup and pairing again.

I was pretty positive I'd already done that several times and had no luck, but I finally got it going, so I'm a little more relieved now that I at least didn't receive a DOA unit.

I was looking into the pandora boards as well but one problem I've had while trying to search for ICP help is that it's nearly exclusively aimed at jailbreakers, and since I use my iPhone for development I have no interest in jailbreaking it.

Appreciate the help, cheers.