The importance of sound/music?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Cocozero, May 12, 2011.

1. Cocozero

Cocozero Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Student
    UK
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts about sound are in their games. I personally have been focusing on the gameplay parts so far and now that I'm nearly done I'm thinking about adding the sound.

How many of you add music to your games?
    I'm not 100% sure if its worth adding since most of the people i see playing iPhone games usually are on public transport without their headphones in so they obviously don't care for the music.

And for sound effects where do you go to find them?
    I personally plan on using SoundSnapp.com.

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Depends on the game of course. Personally I think a catchy tune for an action game can never be over-rated. Then again, I still pull out the old sid-player to listen to Martin Galway and Rob Hubbard's work from the C64.

A catchy tune makes the game feel more fun.

3. Cocozero

Cocozero Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Student
    UK
    I agree a catchy theme tune can definitely help especially if you're making a trailer too, but would you say it's important to have just a single theme tune, rather than having multiple theme tunes for different levels?

I was thinking of maybe just having a menu theme tune and during levels just have the sound effects.

4. NickFalk

I think it depends on a lot of variables:

1. The type of game
    2. The length of a normal playing session
    3. The quality of the tune(s)*
    4. Development time/cost

*I’d rather listen to one good tune over and over than several crappy ones. I’d also rather listen to cool sound effects than a crappy tune.

Crazy Comets for the C64 wouldn’t have been half as much fun if it wasn’t for the stellar Rob Hubbard tune. There are certainly games that are fun without music (Doodle Jump?). I still believe though that any game experience can be improved with the right piece of music…

5. NickFalk

You HAVE to make a trailer.

6. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I've been trying new music and it makes a world of difference.

Yes a trailer is essential. Even if you edit old data, which I'm now having to do, is better than nothing.

7. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I personally leave a game with the sound on for a couple of days after i bought it, after that i switch it off!
    Tiny wings has a great soundtrack and i liked playing it with sound but after a while it got annoying.
    I agree it depends on the game type, but sound is a must and besides sound effects i think you should also have a tune in your levels!

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Having good music and sounds won't do much for your first day downloads, since most people don't bother looking for trailers and so music won't be a factor in their buy decision. But sound is a critical part of the user experience, and depending on the game, can help with user ratings. Good example: sword & sorcery ep. The music makes up most of it's appeal.

9. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Very true. In my opinion, if you have any hopes to make a top seller, music is important. The ambience you give for the game will make users like it even more, whether they know its due to the music or not. I play a lot of my games with my own music, but I never play world of goo unless I can listen to its in game music. That may not be the main reason why I love the game, but it contributes.

10. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Music is so underrated. It sets the tone for a game most of the time unaware.

Make sure your music will be unique or has a tune that will stick with you unlike many of the orchestral kinda music with their marimba tunes wich are beeing used in almost every game now!

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I play a good portion of my iOS games with the sound off. For something like a console FPS obviously the sound is an important aspect and not having it might actually hinder your abilities, but most of my iOS gaming is casual and I tend to play while doing something else like watching TV or listening to music.

So it really depends on the game. People don't need music to enjoy Sudoku, but if you need to hear an enemy approaching a change in the sound would be helpful to the player.

12. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #12 DemonJim, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    I think good audio is vital - it's one of our senses that so many games seem to neglect.

A rubbish engine sound can ruin a racing game for me, or good audible feedback from an important event like an impact or explosion can make it strangely satisfying.

I think the sound effects are one of the main ingredients that make Angry Birds so popular. Music can be essential in conveying an atmosphere for certain genres (Nintendo are masters of this, imagine Zelda: Ocarina of Time without that music).

It's nice for a game to have title music, but I think for any iOS game the ability to play your own iPod music in the background is essential (overriding in-game music). People seem to forget all iOS devices are also iPods. I think this should be a technical requirement (except for music apps).

13. Cocozero

Cocozero Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Student
    UK
    I definitely plan on making a trailer and after all your comments I think I might attempt creating music for each of my game worlds. As it will add to the overall polish of the game.

14. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    We've invested heavily in orchestral theatrical-quality music for our upcoming space RPG, so I think music is every bit as important as the cinematic visuals we're shooting for. We're planning on releasing a soundtrack on iTunes, Amazon, etc. with the 20+ pieces of music from the game.