Creature Chaos - Pokemon/Digimon inspired game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by B.I.G Games, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B.I.G Games

B.I.G Games Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    #1 B.I.G Games, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

Update:

Creature Chaos is a game with the emphasis on collecting and evolving creatures. It was largely inspired by Pokemon and Digimon.

Here is a video of what we were showing off at PAX this last weekend.

Core Gameplay:
    The goal of the game is to explore and evolve your creatures. Exploration is the core of our game. We tried to accomplish this primarily in 2 ways.
    - Procedurally generated worlds. Every world in the game is infinite and different every time you venture out. As the player explores the world and moves on to deeper areas the creatures strength will increase, but so will the chance of finding more rare creatures.
    - Branching evolution paths. Unlike Pokemon when you evolve your creatures in Creature Chaos there is not strictly one evolution. Based on how you raise your creature you might get a different evolution.

Battle:
    We wanted battles to be a little more interesting and interactive than a classic turn based battle system. To accomplish this we gave every creature an element, which comes with strengths and weaknesses. Along with that when you attempt an attack a metronome-like bar appears and based on where you stop it you might miss, hit, or critical. The size of the bar is based on your creature's speed. So a fast creature has a much better chance to critical, but at the end of the day it's based on the players skill. We're experimenting with some other mini-games, but we don't want to get too gimmicky.

Collect:
    Currently we have about 60 creatures to collect and are expecting to have way more. Capturing creatures is very straight forward. When you defeat a creature in battle you get the opportunity to capture them.

Current Status:
    We are at the point now where we are primarily working on adding in content. There is some polish work that needs to be done, but all core systems are in place and working. We're looking to be live in the app store later this month.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

2. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I love these types of games! :) There's not much to judge from yet, but the drawings of creatures look creative and really nice. Can't wait to find out more.

3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Hell yea, more pokemom looking games. i am going to collect all the games and play the shizz out of them. Looking forward to some gameplay, or anything.

Thanks.

4. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Loving the little guy on the far right. More info ASAP!!

5. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Gotta get 'em all! ;)

6. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Love Pokemon alike game too, please release asap

7. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Any rough idea of the release date? :)

8. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Here's another screenshot for you guys.

[​IMG]

As far as a release date we're still not completely set. A rough estimate is September-October. If we can launch earlier we will. I don't want to rush launch, but I do plan to launch a good game and then just continue to build more and update regularly.

For the time being I'll be using this thread to post updates discuss a bit of the development.

We've been working on this game for a couple of months now. I'm the developer and designer on the project.
    All of the artwork can be attributed to my artist. If you'd like to see more of her work visit her website www.charamath.com

The core concept of the game is very similar to Pokemon. Where the major goal is to explore, battle and capture creatures. So that's exactly what you'll do in Creature Chaos. We hope to launch with 3 worlds to explore. Once you have chosen the world you enter a procedurally generated map, where you'll explore to find creatures and other treasure. The battles are turn based, with a bit of a twist, but I'll share the details later. Your creatures can level up, learn new skill, and evolve.

We decided to take some concepts that we really liked from the Digimon games. The most notable of which is branching evolution paths. Depending on how you raise your creature it will evolve into something different.

9. bonecrrusher

bonecrrusher Member

Jan 16, 2013
    looks like an awesome game ! is it exploration like pokemon? and most off all is it gonna be freemium because i dont want to be forced to pay iap or wait an hour before resuming play

10. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    That's really cool, looks like there's even a lava world. I noticed a "log out" button on the screen though. Does that mean the game will require you to play online at all times?

11. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    No, we might change the wording there. The game doesn't require you to be online. The logout button is there because we support multiple saves on a single device. So you need a way to go back and switch between saves.

12. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    The game will be free with in-App purchases. Nothing in the game requires a purchase to access. I'm hoping to model the in-App purchases after games like Jetpack Joyride and Punch Quest, where there were in-App purchases, but they are never really necessary unless you just wanted to progress faster.

As for the exploration factor it won't be anything as robust as Pokemon. It is much more roguelike. The worlds are generated procedurally, so it will be different every time you go to explore.

13. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Hope to see a gameplay video soon! Thanks

14. Darkenemy

Darkenemy Member

Oct 6, 2012
    How many monsters will there be?

15. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Ok, that's good. I'm not a huge fan of games that require you to always play online. It's sweet that you'll support multiple saves on a single device. That's something you don't see very often in iOS games. :)

16. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    We're hoping to launch with 50 or so, but we have way more planned. I really hope to provide a constant stream of content once the game is launched.

17. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Status: Most of the core systems are in place, we're currently in the process of dropping in final UI elements. Then We'll be moving on to working on content and general polish.

I'm hoping we'll have enough final assets in the game to show a video early next week.

Till then, here's the current battle screen. We're still missing some UI elements, but it's largely done.

[​IMG]

18. Istvan

Istvan Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Student/Barista
    Canada
    Im really liking the art! and im glad to hear the route you are taking with IAP, im looking forward to seeing the gameplay!

19. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Ohhh, how nice. Really liking it.

20. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Love the art, really detailed with the colors also! :)