Universal ALONE... (by Laser Dog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I was seduced at the beginning, but now, it's really too hard for me. I'm not a big fan of these kind of games, and now i feel i'm doing the same things all the time, unable to reach the goal.

I feel the same with canabalt (sorry for the spelling).

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'm curious whether you like other similarly difficult games, like Super Hexagon, Unpossible, Dextris, Wave Wave, etc. It seems to me that all those games require a similar mixture of skill and luck to do well, and they all have lots of ardent fans. So I think your criticisms might be more about not liking this sub-genre of ultra-hard twitch games, rather than this game in particular. In fact so far I've found this game to be a little more fair than the other games I listed above as far as throwing impossible situations at you.

Personally, I somewhat share your feelings. I often enjoy playing these games on the lower difficulty levels, but I don't have the talent or patience to make it very far on the higher levels. Part of it is I think I just don't have the required reaction times, but I also get annoyed by the random element to them. The randomization is a double-edged sword: on the one hand it keeps the gameplay fresh, but on the other hand it means that even when I do get a good run, it's less satisfying because I don't know how much of it was just due to luck rather than skill. For me though, the fact that it allows choosing the difficulty level means I still enjoy the game. Unpossible is another game which I feel similarly about. It's way too hard for me on the harder levels, but I still find it very fun to cruise through the easier difficulty levels.

3. Aisxos

Aisxos New Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Those are really the only games I like to play to kill time and relax. The tension-reward-release thing is what works for me. However, while the games you mentioned are all random, they do not put you before impossible situations. There is always a way out, and if you fail to get to it, you were either too slow or just slipped somewhere. Of course sometimes randomization will put you in VIRTUALLY impossible situations, which is fine, it happens, but just outright impossible is not good for gameplay. With Alone..., you can and will run into the impossible at around 1500. 2500. 3500 and so forth in pro. I've not tried expert after that, I unlocked it, saw that it requires me to clear 8km, and quit the game until an update that draws me in again. I'll keep playing Canabalt till then.

4. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I am struggling to reach 4k

5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Lol I just saw you can disable inverted controls, the game is so much easier now.

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    The moon in the background makes your ship almost invisible, which turns a tough-as-nails-but-fair game into something that feels hard in a frustrating and unfair way.
    A good example of what I'm talking about is in the 2nd screen shot.

7. Aisxos

Aisxos New Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Screen goes black after 4km on expert.
    Happened 6 times so far. Have not been able to get past 4km without black screen

Iphone 4s.

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Had the same problem, too, but finally (ten times) i unlocked "void-dark" and so is my screen - pitch black...is this a joke, a bug on my side or how the frog am i supposed to reach 5k in absolute darkness ?!

9. Kangtakang

Kangtakang Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Awesome, pls add this idea to become more awesome !
    - slow-mo in some super-difficult situation
    - more obstacle, prefer big to super big size obstacle, in that moment the screen can be zoom out to enhance the size of that obstacle ( can be big ruined spaceship , giant ancient alien, supernova,....)
    - add some new kind of play scene, like super speed straight forward with blur effect will be awesome !
    i cant figure out more right now but i really love this game, hope you can upfate the game soon, goodjob :D

10. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol GOOD CALL! I just went from best run of 2567 to 6322, so yeah that makes a HUGE difference.

To those with the black screen, I haven't experienced this on Veteran (default) difficulty. On 5S. Are u guys on Veteran, or Pro?

11. Volodymyr Klymenko

Volodymyr Klymenko New Member

Aug 9, 2014
    #92 Volodymyr Klymenko, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

12. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Newest update (for iPhone 6) gives me black bars on the sides of the screen. Using an iPhone 5, iOS 7.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #94 rIcHrAnDoM, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Oh crap...I just auto updated.

Nope, I just loaded it up and it's good on my 5S 8.1 (btw, akd, I found a workaround for my "sound bug" ;) )

14. Anotherkellydown

#95 Anotherkellydown, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    So the update was for iOS 8 but it didn't mention that in the description.. Oh well :)

Glad the sound issue worked out for you! I'm still holding back on the jump to iOS 8... Ha!

Edit: I've contacted Laser Dog about the issue, will hopefully hear back from them soon. Can anyone else confirm they're having the same issue?

Edit 2: got a swift response from Rob at Laser Dog - "That's not very good at all!! We'll get that fixed ASAP! Thanks for letting us know."

15. laserdog

laserdog Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Hi guys, I just did that thing devs aren't meant to do and google our game and start reading forums :)

Thanks so much for all the things people have been writing, it's a crazy feeling to have people discussing something you've created :)

Firstly, I'm really sorry about the iPhone 5 issue last week. In our haste to add iPhone 6 support we accidentally removed iPhone 5 support - what an idiotic thing to do! We managed to get an update out a day or two later to address it though, so it should be all good :)

Secondly, if anyone has any questions about the game at all, feel free to ask :)

Rob

16. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #97 sinagog, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Anyone else tried playing this in portrait mode? I wanted a way to get my right hand behind the ship so I wasn't blocking the view ahead, so finally I tilted the ipad around 90 degrees. I definitely prefer it this way! It's far easier. It transforms this into a bullet hell game. :D

17. Anotherkellydown

Glad to have you here, Rob! Thank you for such a quick fix to the update issue. That was a relief! You've put together one stylish endless flyer with ALONE... I come back to it quite often but I've reached a point where I can't seem to get any farther. It's very tricky, in a good way. Just can't see myself ever enlocking all the difficulties, which is kind of sad :(

18. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yeah this is a nice game, but I don't ever see myself getting 6000 to open the third mode...

19. Anotherkellydown

Laser Dog, if you're still reading this, two of the achievements aren't unlocking for me. "Comet Death" & "Rock Death". I know for sure that I've been killed by both of them hundreds of times. :D