Topia New Tools Creation contest! 2 x $50 iTunes cards

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by JoshCM, Apr 29, 2013.

1. xM1N1M4Nx

xM1N1M4Nx Member

May 8, 2012
    Cheers :D It is definitely my favourite of my 5. Liking your New York image too :) Good luck in the contest!

2. #22 m13, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    I tried very hard to use Machu Picchu but the terrain was not easily recognizable. It was hard for me to locate it after importing into Topia.

Both Mt Fuji and Santorini were imported from Google Earth with real topographic data.:)

[​IMG]

3. I made a series of RGB color gradients to help explain what to expect with with the 2 import options in Topia. Looks to me that red is highest, black is lowest, everything else lies somewhere in between. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Winners are Artemys and M13! Will be getting the cards this week for you guys. :)

5. Artemys

Artemys Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    High-School Student
    Wow cool thank you! Grats M13!

6. xM1N1M4Nx

xM1N1M4Nx Member

May 8, 2012
    Congratulations you two :D Well done!

7. Thanks and congrats to @Artemys as well.

@JoshCM, your hobby app is getting real interesting. I wonder what else you have in store for future updates. May I suggest Dropbox integration, automatic file format and image size conversion and some sort of additional graphical filtering to make it look nice in Topia. :)

8. Artemys

Artemys Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    High-School Student
    Thank you!

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Well done Artemys. Nice to see a few people playing with the import. I didn't have much time to experiment myself. I had a little fun importing images into crazybump, exporting the bump map into the red channel and the image itself into green/blue. After a few hits on the smooth button I'd made some interestingly organic, if NSFW, landscapes.

10. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Man don't tell me it was Topia the World builder! How could have I missed it?

11. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I really like the volcanos. Obviously the map of the British Isles in the update is from real data. It actually supports 2048x2048 monochrome .tga files which it downsamples for theoretically slightly better results than from a 1024x1024 image.

12. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I tell you what, it's not really a competition but if you (or anyone else) can make a world nice enough in the next few days, i'll include it as a preset in the next update. No prize other than that you'll be credited in the game. I reserve the right to not use any or maybe even use more than one.

13. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Can't enter in this one either.Just got the new iphone.Big brother changed the password of his account.And now I am on a free account.Doesn't even have a single penny.Alas!!!
    Starting to miss the old one!
    Thanks for the chance though.

14. Artemys

Artemys Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    High-School Student
    Thank you very much! The 'Contours' preset terrain is amazing btw, by far my favorite!

15. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Very easy to make, it's a fractal + ziguratise + a couple of smooths

16. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I have the iTunes cards now, picked them up last night - I'll be sending them today!

17. Thanks Josh for the GC!

18. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    I hope Glenn is still planning on expanding his tutorial. I'm an advanced PC user and I couldn't get it to work. The only issue I'm having is creating the heightmap. I know how to save/convert it as a .tga file and how to get it on the device. How do you get the heightmap to begin with? I tried converting an image into a grayscale image then to .tga but I had no luck. I'm sure I'm overthinking things but any help would be appreciated.