To Developers: Be careful with Promo Codes

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sainter, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    This post is a warning about how you give out your promo codes on this forum and others.

As some of you may know, there is a Promo Code Exchange Club on TouchArcade at http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=11

Recently reading the thread about GL Golf where Jake kindly gave out a few promo codes to his games GL Golf and GL Golf Deluxe so that people would leave an honest review on iTunes for him. I was shocked that people who had asked for these codes to put a review up for him were then everywhere on this Exchange Club trading the GL Golf codes to see what else they could get for them.

I understand perfectly if you are giving codes out and don't really care what happens to them or has no instructions about what to do with them, but when Jake clearly stated that he wished for an iTunes review you would think that people would do what he asked.

The sad thing is that these weren't even all Junior members but Senior members who should know to respect requests like this were trading also.

Just a word of warning, as people may just take the codes off you and use them on such Exchange Clubs on here or other sites.

Thanks

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Agreed. If someone wins a code in a random giveaway, they can do with it what they want. If they got it in exchange for a review, it's wrong to trade it for another code.

It's a risk devs might be willing to take though, there aren't that many ways to get some extra iTunes reviews.

3. It's unfortunate, but it happens a lot around here; lots of people try and win codes just to have some currency to trade for codes to other games. The only thing I can suggest is, if you're going to engage in more than one giveaway/contest, keep a list of those who win your last set of codes and don't give any to any of the winners who try for another one in your next set.

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    What a sad thought. I guess I'll have to only give to a few people.

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Hi guys. I made that group. I feel sorry people are doing this. Unfortunately I am just another user here. Plus I cannot look into all threads, read all 60 pages ; and see who got a code for a review. I feel bad though.

I made a thread asking if "group mods" could be possible. No reply. I want this cause some people do see when people get a code for a review. So it's not up to me. Sorry

6. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Just a thought

Being someone that goes on TA mainly to learn about new/upcoming games that spark my interest and take advantage of promos, I am a little surprised by how you are reacting. I was one of the people that received a promo for GL Golf and wrote the reviews as promised. I spread the word to some friends (three of which bought the game since telling them) and wrote a review on my blog.

That said, it is a free country and someone who gets a promo for a game can do what they please with it. If a developer wishes to give out promos, he or she should understand that there is a risk involved. I don't think it's the right thing to do when people trade promos, but it is legal and is something that devs should consider when distributing promos. You can't force anyone to do anything and even though I'm not one of those people, it is inevitable that some people will find a way around the system. Maybe the better question to ask is not, "Why are these people (the promo traders) doing this," but is, "Do I want to take that risk?" I'm not trying to justify their actions; I'm just saying that developers should not be scratching their heads wondering why people are greedy.

Just so devs that gave me promos read this don't get nervous, my reviews are on their way :)

7. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    I received a promo for the original GL golf, which I already have, so I hope my case is justified, I already posted a review on iTunes

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    In an ideal world, if you're claiming a promo to write a review, then people should do that, and turning them around to trade them is dishonest and borderline unethical. Devs provide those promo codes to market their games, and frankly, they're giving away a part of their income when they do that because they rely on the reviews and word of mouth. I'm not saying you write a dishonest review either. Your reviews need to be fair and objective, and you may even take the extra step of providing additional feedback to the developer.

While there's no way to enforce this, people should show some integrity when taking promo codes under the guise of providing a fair review. While some may argue that once a code is given that they can do whatever they want with it, that's really not a valid reason.

@danny95: You don't deserve any of the blame. The club relies on the honor system, and there's no way to constantly monitor it.

9. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It's a shame when people "go behind" devs backs and trade their promo codes when the devs gave other instructions. I always listen to devs, and if they want me to write a review, I'll write a review. It's the least I can do for them. I mean, they're giving me a free game that they worked on for days or weeks, and all I have to do is dedicate 2 minutes of my time to make their app look better. I'm all up for helping devs, and I can't stand when people don't respect promo codes and such.

Also, people that take codes and run (they don't post in the thread that they've taken the code) also really annoy me. I mean, come on, the dev is giving you a free game and you can't even say "Thanks!"?

I'm done :) Good luck to all the devs on this site, and hopefully people will learn some more respect and follow devs orders more often :)

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Thanks.........I know. But people are chewing on my butt to do something. They want I don't know............consequences..............temporary bans.........and like I said; I'm just a user! I already have enough trying to keep the group alive and working.

When the group was made promo codes were just announced / released for devs by Apple. So I thought it would be a great idea.........didn't't think how much stuff could go wrong. But this is an all time low really.

11. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I like when devs give promo codes in contests. It makes me feel more connected with them, and it becomes more than just another free app you got. You actually have to earn it, and it is the most fun when what you did gets used for either promotion or in game.