★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Climbing A Tree In 1978: A Pretentious Indie Game (Feeback Wanted)

05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Climbing A Tree In 1978: A Pretentious Indie Game (Feeback Wanted)

My friends and I are indie developers and want to get some feedback on a working title for our next game:

"Climbing A Tree In 1978: A Pretentious Indie Game"

What do you think? What kind of images come to mind? We're looking for as many opinions as we can get. Thanks!
05-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I would probably buy a game called Climbing a Tree in 1978, but the subtitle would give me pause.

I play Glorkian Warrior because I am the Glorkian Warrior.

05-09-2014, 08:51 PM
I like the title, it's eccentric and full of personality. I think the subtitle "a pretentious indie game," while casual compared to the more poetically vague main title does well in turning the overall thing into a fun joke. I assume the game is not really about climbing a tree so the subtitle helps cue people into the "bigger picture."
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM
As someone who does occasionally enjoy the occasional pretentious indie game, the title is appealing to me. The image it conjures (due to the date '1978') is an Instagram-style "70's filter" over the whole view. The idea of 'climbing a tree' gives it a whimsical/lazy-sunday feel in my mind. Since the date is mentioned, it implies it's in the past, so I would imagine that maybe that it's about some sort of flashback to that time. Like @undeadcow mentioned, 'eccentric' is another word I'd use (in a good way)

As a mainstream title, not sure, but I would definitely click to read more about it. It's unusual enough that it stands out well among often same-named games on the app store.
05-10-2014, 02:14 PM
It feels like the game is aimed at me because I was born in 1971 so climbing a tree was conceivably one of my pastimes in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm not sure exactly which years I was most active tree climbing because memory fails but it feels right. I hope this is actually an unpretentious tree climbing game where you wear classic late 70's t-shirts as rewards for honing your tree climbing skills into the early 80's.

The sequel should be a BMX game as that's what eventually put paid to my tree climbing time back in the day.
05-10-2014, 04:12 PM
a vertical platformer (you're climbing an infinite tree) with a soundtrack of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Power to the People?
And I love the subtitle; it's so tongue in cheek and a cute dig at indie games.
05-14-2014, 08:24 AM
I imagine a touch and click adventure game. Like, climbing the tree might be some kind of puzzle that needs to be solved.

I play Glorkian Warrior because I am the Glorkian Warrior.
05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks everyone

We're probably killing the subtitle and replacing with something else. Seems to rub people the wrong way. Maybe something like:

"A Lo-Fi Indie Game Simulation"
"A Lo-Fi Simulation"

We're kicking around Atari style graphics.