For people with consoles or handhelds, do you play IOS less/value it less?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spader623, Dec 29, 2015.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Let me explain. iOS has some amazing games on it. iOS gaming, while not the best, is definitely something I enjoy... But I feel like I value console games or PC or whatever more then it so I rarely play my iOS games since I can play a game that's 'not a mobile game' instead of something on mobile, even if it's really good. It's a mindset I'm annoyed at myself for having and causes my iOS backlog to be huge. Does anyone else feel this way or have tried to get out of that mentality?

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I prefer iOS.

3. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    I'm the exact opposite. I really love the idea of iOS gaming (mobile gaming in general actually, not only iPhone). I love how your phone is able to do anything, from calling or sending sms to browsing the Internet to playing games on it. I hate taking handheld consoles with me, it feels weird to open it and start playing it when I have a 10 min break, while my iPhone is always in my pocket and I can take it out and play whatever I want. I have a 3ds and I barely touch it. The thing is, I can't find a game I absolutely love. I played hearthstone for a long time but it starts to bore me, and I still didn't find a game that I could play endlessly like it.

And about "value it less" ; I prefer handheld/console games more than iOS games, actually. The controls are usually better and the games have more depth. But I don't see it as "should I play iOS games or pc games now?". If I'm home and I have time, I'll play pc games I like. The iPhone is there for playing games when I don't have access to you other consoles (pc, Xbox etc).

4. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Yeah my problem though is I'm not usually out and about and if I am it's like 3 minutes for being on my phone, so I can't play much of 80 days or king of dragon pass or whatever it may be.

5. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

People are going to hate me for this reply, but I see no reason to play iOS games when you're home if you have a console you like. Games on consoles are just better. The controls are better, most games have way more to offer when it comes to depth and length, graphics are usually better, using a bigger screen should be more comfortable... I too stay a lot at home, but whenever I leave the house my iPhone is a very good device to pass the time with. I think that iPhone has nothing to do with pc/Xbox/ps4. When youre at home and you have some free time, the big consoles can easily offer you entertainment for hours. When outside, you can play games on your iPhone whenever you like and for as much time as you like.

6. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Nah. I play iOS even when I am at home. Playing on bed is great. Each one with their preferences.

For example, Baldur's Gate can offer entertainment for hours. In fact, I have more games purchased than I could play on a lifetime. My favorite genres: point and click adventures, interactive fiction and rpgs are perfect on Ipad. Even some platforms like Goblin Sword and Swordigo are awesome.

If it weren't for upgrades breaking many games and purchase history problems, the system would be perfect.

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #7 ScotDamn, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    I was wondering how this would work when I got my vita and then eventually ps4. I still play iOS games, even at home. But about 2/3 less than I did. Now instead of looking for deep games on my iPad I'm instead on the hunt for truly mobile games on iPhone cause when I'm at home it's all about the console. The game play doesn't even compare. That's objective.

Now ones tastes in game design is entirely subjective and can dictate playing iOS over a more in depth console or PC machine. That's up to you tho. As for me, there's still a few games I will play and looking forward to play on iPad at home but only a handful.

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    That last sentence is the big elephant in the room tho. And it's kind of a deal breaker when taking the platform as serious as any other. It essentially makes buying games on iOS an extending lease.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I have a PS3 and a Wii - but I only ever play on my iPad and iPhone.

10. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

I sometimes lay on bed and play some games when I'm very tired too. But when I'm at home I usually want to play on pc. Every game you play probably has something similar on PC and the controls there will be better. Also, as I said, playing on a larger screen is more fun (that's my opinion but I don't see how playing on small screens could be more fun than playing on large screens). I would never come home and want to play an adventure game on the iphone, because I have better counterparts on PC, like Witcher 3. And that's coming from someone who didn't even like Witcher 3 that much. It doesn't feel like I have a reason to play on my iphone when my PC games feel superb in almost every way.

Just an example that happened to me: I played tons of Hearthstone in the last year. When the Iphone version was announced I was so hyped that I upgraded my old iphone to an iphone 6 just to guarantee better performance, even if it was little.I thought to myself "wow, now I'll be able to walk around the house / outside, do whatever I want AND play Hearthstone at the same time. This is going to be amazing!". In the end I still play on PC way more. It's only because the PC version is... better. In every single way.

11. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    As I've said before, it's all up to personal taste. For example, I prefer playing Telltale games on my Ipad rather than playing on the big screen. Knights of the old Republic also is another great example.

I agree that iphones screen are too small, however an Ipad screen works really nicely to me. Also, it depends on the genres I love playing which fits greatly.

I kid you not, but I barely touch my consoles or pc.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Gone through the Xbox One twice already, a PS4, and Wii U in the last year, and I'm done with them. Got rid of 'em. Still have a PS2, don't use it too often, and I have my Vita that I do use, but I'd say 95% of the time I'm on IOS and Android only. Can't STAND waiting 15 minutes for an Xbox game to load these days. At least with older systems you could start playing right away. I find the waiting totally un-acceptable these days! And $60 for one game? Nah, for me, mobile gaming is where it's at, so I value it MORE!

13. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Same here..

14. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Yeah. I used to game exclusive on iOS, but one day I went to a friend's house and he introduced me to the PS4. The scale of the games amazed me, and flash-forward a year and I own a PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and a PSVITA, and barely ever play mobile games. It's just really hard to play games like batman: arkham knight, infamous, dragon age inquisition and assassins creed syndicate that have amazing graphics, deep storylines and dozens (or hundreds, in dragon age's case) of hours of gameplay and then go back to a platform that is made up of primarily freemium filled casual games. It's not that the App Store is bad, it just pales in comparison.

15. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Baldur's Gates, KOTOR and many others made a different case than you have pointed. There are more premium games available on iOS than ps4. More than my lifeline can handle. The sea of freemium doesn't change that. And some f2p even make it right, like Marvel Future Fight, which is awesome.

Of course we can't compare the types of games on both systems. Also, the race to the bottom prevents bigger scope games being released on the platform, unless it is a port. but who knows what the future might bring.

I have a PS Vita, 3DS and some great games to finish on ps3. However, I barely touch them.

16. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    But you still can't compare most big RPGS today to KOTOR and Baldur's gate. While they could be very fun and give you a lot of gameplay hours, other big RPGS on consoles have more to offer. We're talking about better graphics, controls, depth, story, gameplay, length... I can't even see how Baldur's gate is comparable to games like witcher 3. I mean just look at how people need to design games to fit them into mobile phones: online games that has chat (mmorpgs and such) require you to open the chat window that will cover your entire screen (and the keyboard does that too), which makes a simple task like communicating while playing the game very hard. FPS developers have no choice but to give you 2 buttons, one for walking and one for shooting, and as a result a big portion of your screen is covered with your fingers.

And the fact that there are enough premium games to play for more than a lifetime doesn't mean it's good. A lot of premium games are bad / getting very boring, very fast. I already have a lot of premium games on my device I didn't touch after 2 hours of playing. Playing with all the disadvantages of mobile phones makes the experience worse than most games you'll play on PC.

To sum it up, I would prefer having 3 games that each one of them is amazing in most aspects of it, and that will give me a lot of hours of gameplay, rather than having 40 games that are "nice" in some aspects, and each one of them gives me about 3 hours of gameplay.

17. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    you read my mind.

18. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Don't have a newish console (PS2 was my last console). Wondering why there is a 15 minute or more wait to play games on XBox One/360?

19. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I have an Xbox 360, Wii and Vita (and I used to have a DS, GBA, Gamecube, Xbox and Dreamcast). I like consoles, but on all systems there are only about 10 games that I really love, if that. I like good console games, but for me, that's apparently only the top of the top. I loved the Mario games on the Wii for example and Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future are my favorite games ever. Those are great games and better than iOS games indeed. But then, so many other games I played were just okay, boring even. Often those games feel like they’re just more of the same to me. I recently made my iOS Game of the Year list and had trouble limiting it to 10. So that's 10 iOS games that I really loved in one year, vs less than 10 Wii games over all the years I owned that console. So even though my favorite iOS game is not better than New Super Mario Bros or JSR, I do think there are more good iOS games than good Wii/360 games. Out of curiosity I just checked Metacritic to see if I really couldn’t think of more great Wii games, and I noticed that only 12 Wii games ever got a score higher than 90, whereas as of this moment there are 82 iOS games with such a high score. Xbox 360 has 35, and a ton of those are sequels (Mass Effect 1/2/3, Rock Band 1/2/3 etc.). So even if iOS-great is not exactly the same as console-great, the reviewers seem to agree that there’s a ton more great content for iOS than for consoles.

I guess it depends on the genres you play and the things you care about. I love originality and creativity (and couldn’t care less about voice chat). On iOS I mostly play puzzle games these days and there are so many wonderful puzzle games, and they often control better on iOS than anywhere else. I'm now playing Tetrobot and co and it's so good, and it's so nice to be able to play this on my iPad mini while curled up on the couch.

20. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    As I've stated before, it is all up to personal taste. I haven't played the Witcher, but what do other RPG's have more to offer than kotor or baldur's gate? Graphic? Absolutely. But depht, lenght? Are you serious? Really?

On most games that offers a large timeplay, you have to repeat ad eternum the same things over and over again (skyrim, dragon age inquisition). It is fun for a while, but it gets old and boring pretty soon, at least for me. I take games like Device 6 or Sword and Sorcery over (insert generic fps or action game here) anytime.

The cost to develop games on current gen is skyrocket and you have to sacrifice depht and other things because of that. In fact, you can't take too many risks and have to adapt the games to appeal to the broad audience. To be honest, indies have been much more fun than most of the blockbusters for me. Of course we have great games like Last of us, fallout, unchated, mass effect and batman that are great and would't be the same on mobile, probably. But we have great games that wouldn't fit on consoles, also. And that includes control, which you pointed out as being superior on consoles. That's not always true. Or can you imagine playing a game like monument valley would be better on a gamepad? Point and click adventures, one of my favorite genres, is perfectly fit for tablets.

You don't have to choose one of another, since all systems have many great things to offer. Just look at 2015 best mobile games on touch arcade and you can find many cool things to play. In the end, it all depends on what you are looking for. But to try and diminish mobile(or consoles, like some do) is not necessary at all.