iCade not working properly

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jharkheld, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jharkheld

jharkheld New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi all,

Last week I ordered an iCade from Amazon and assembled it as soon as I got it. I tried with several games (Space Inversion, Warblade, Sideway Racing, ...) and immediately experienced a problem with the joystick.

When it's in the center position, it seems to send "go to the left" signals to the ipad, as if I kept it left. That makes the games totally unplayable : the spaceship (or whatever you're controlling) sticks to the left border of the screen.

I sent an email to Amazon and got a reply very quickly (nive, given that it was a Sunday !). They told me a new one was already ready to be dispatched to me.

I received it today, assembled it and turned it on. I was convinced it would work. But it didn't. Just exactly the same problem.

I think about never ordering again such a piece of s*** and asking back my money. Sorry for being rude, but that's my meaning now after assembling two NEW units (and I did it very carefully)

I didn't find anything related to this problem on the web.

Did anyone else experience this faulty behaviour ? Maybe it's just a problem of calibration (such as in the old days, when we were using joysticks for nearly all games) ?

2. riugohan

riugohan New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Hello, I'm French I've bought an Icade on ebay ant I've received it today but I've have the same problem...

Please, help us :)

Thanks.

3. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

jharkheld, riugohan. Do you both happen to have your iPad keyboard set to French, ie AZERTY layout?

The iCade pretends to be a bluetooth keyboard and returns the A key for left stick on and Q for left stick off. I'm guessing that it's being interpreted differently when it returns via the French keyboard layout and it's counting Left stick Off as Left Stick On.

Try switching to the US or UK keyboard layouts and see if that works.

4. riugohan

riugohan New Member

Aug 24, 2011

Yes, it works !!!!!

Thanks a lot :)

5. jharkheld

jharkheld New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Indeed, my keyboard is set on french too. I'll try this tonight.

If it works, I will tell the Ion support about that. It could be useful that they put a note for Azerty users.

Thanks for your help.

6. goldenegg

goldenegg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    There is a note about it on their website under "Frequently Asked Questions":
    http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/icade

Code:
    The Controls on my iCade are not functioning properly. What should I do?
    If your iCade controls are not functioning properly you may need to change the keyboard layout setting on your iPad. If the following instructions do not resolve the symptom, please contact us for support.

iCade uses the U.S. Hardware Keyboard Layout. International Users can switch to this layout by following thee steps:

On the iPad launch the Settings app.
    Select General.
    Select Keyboard.
    Select International Keyboards.
    Select (your keyboard language).
    Select English.
    Close the Settings app.

Note:The Hardware Keyboard can be switched back to your language of choice by following these same instructions and choosing your language in Step 6 above.

7. jharkheld

jharkheld New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Indeed, it is very clear :(

Apparently the people from the Ion support aren't aware of this either...this is what I got as an answer :

"Sorry to hear you are having issues with your product. Unfortunately it appears it may have developed a fault. It should still be under wararnty so I suggest you get in contact with Amazon and they will be able to arrange a free of charge warranty repair."

8. l2iceman

l2iceman Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I purchased an iCade yesterday and am having some issues...

at first it paired up right away, but wouldn't work when I went into Atari games or League of Evil...

then I "forgot" the device, and it wouldn't pair up anymore...after struggles n struggles, I ended up resetting all settings and that worked and was able to pair it up once again...but nothing new, in game would not work...

I tried changing my keyboard layout and adding and removing different keyboards to at least see if any type of input would work from the iCade...nothing...

then, I decided to pair it up with my iPod touch 4th gen...worked perfectly...so now I don't get what's going on...both are runnin 5.0.1...

on the ipad, I even restored back to factory, just in case there was something that I installed or set up conflicting with the iCade...

then I figured something might be wrong with my ipad's bluetooth...I hooked up a Motorola S9 stereo headset no problem, worked perfectly...

so what now...btw, I already exchanged it today...just in case...

same exact issue...seems to be something with my ipad...but I don't get it...

it works perfectly with my ipod touch...

a question for you ppl, when this is paired and you open up the safari browser, if you press any of the buttons, does it input anything into the typing field? like numbers or anything? Mine doesn't do anything...which I find odd since it is supposed to be a "bluetooth keyboard" and each button is interpreted as a key on a keyboard...

9. l2iceman

l2iceman Member

Dec 30, 2011
    so it turns out my ipad is defective...Apple will be sending a box for me to return it so they can send a new replacement(not refurb :) ) so hopefully this works...for now i'm enjoying the iCade with my ipod Touch(League of Evil is awesome!)

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm interested to know if you spoke to someone at Apple and mentioned the iCade ? Just wondered what they said about it. As i know devs arent meant to mention the icade in App descriptions (All ridiculous really).

11. l2iceman

l2iceman Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I spoke to an Apple rep and did mention the iCade. She actually knew of it, it was apparently in some list of known devices to work with Apple products...at first she tried to say it was probably the iCade and put me on hold for about 15 min only to come back and say I should contact ION about it...but I then explained how the bluetooth doesn't find anything after a few seconds of being turned on(ie, I turn on the BT on the ipad, wait a few seconds, then turn on my other bluetooth devices, but doesn't find anything) and so she said it must be the iPad 2.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ahhh okay cheers for letting me know. Wish Apple would 'accept' things like the iCade exist, its mentioned in some App descriptions and not others. All totally silly ! Hope you get it fixed soon

13. l2iceman

l2iceman Member

Dec 30, 2011
    ok so got a replacement Ipad 2 from Apple. iCade works perfectly~!