Losing memory on my iPad 2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hex Blade, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    Everytime i play any game or app, ive noticed that im losing memory...about 2-5 megs at a time.

Once i uninstalled a game which was 286 megs and within 3 days i had 0 bytes and i hadnt downloaded anything in that time, just played other games...where did that memory go?

Can some games and apps drain your memory?

2. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Savegames or especially cached files could be the reason for this.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Facebook/twitter can use a lot of memory.

Go to settings/General/Usage/show all apps and click on some of the apps, eg facebook. Then you'll see how much extra documents&date are used

I've got dropbox, the apps only about 40 meg but its currently 230 meg as it has 190 meg worth of documents/data (so i have to clear that cache via the app)

Facebook is currently 160 meg for me, 54 of that is documents&data, for facebook i tend to delete the app then reinstall, then it'll go back to its original size.

4. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Are The Document And data of ou're games ,Apps you can see clear under "Setting/usage/ as already mentioned And here you have a list of all games/Apps on you're iPad,you can see every Document And data from here..normaly save for games Are 10Mb And up,but i've some games like BIOSHOCK that eat me up 300Mb for 2 saves..crazy,never happen with other games..then premium games have less data than F2P or FREEMIUM.that take huge data,and social network like Facebook or TWITTER for example,if you use them a lot,i've got a MAX of 900mb for FB only some years ago,but you can delete them,then reinstall,AND you got free space(only social)without lose nothing,but only with social networks Apps..

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I had a similar problem and it was Tunein radio that hogged my memory, it held space for podcasts I was streaming I think, like others have said, face book and social networks can do this too, also if you use the native email app that can hog your memory as it dloads emails to your device, I just use a browser now and save so much space as a result. Try having a look at your usage under general and check any documents and data of any unusual sized apps.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I deleted Twitter as the file size kept going up and up.

Now user 'twitteriffic' and the filesize for that seems pretty standard and hardly increases.

Facebook i'll probably give up on soon, i just email friends/family

7. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    wow! Thanks for the quick and helpful advise guys. I've deleted Twitter and Facebook to see if those are the reason for the memory drain.

8. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    You can deleted TWITTER/FACEBOOK Apps after they eat too much space,then reinstalling,do in This way you free some space,And delete them again when The size for you It's too much,It's The best way since you don't lose nothing..i do This trick every year,but,This can be apply only to SN,normal Apps And games you lose all data if aren't ICLOUD enable,or if you don't do regular backup with iTunes...

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do that a bit with facebook, fed up with twitter hogging space so thats why i started using that other app i mentioned as that doesnt hog the space like twitter does.

Its ridiculous theres no 'clear cache' button for either the app or in the usage list specially when it gets quite large. The only way to do it is to delete/re-install which seems a bit odd.

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Instead of using the Facebook app just use Facebook.com.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i do that a lot to read private messages. I dont want to download another app just to read my messages as i used to be able to do that on Facebook till they messed about with it

12. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Yeah,totally agree,a "clear cache" button in The Document And data of every Apps should be there,every time delete/reinstall It's a bit boring,The user need more option like This,especially that Iit's a common thing on other non iOS devices..really don't understand Apple from This point of view..

13. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    If you run out of space, iOS cleans cache automatically - you'll see a little circular progress bar over your apps, one by one.

I'm not sure how different this would be from uninstalling and reinstalling an app. Ideally, the only time you'd need to do that would be when you're out of space.

14. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Tumblr, instagram, twitter, facebook, vine. ANY photo or video site except youtube and twitch they take more than 400 mbs