TouchArcade is looking for writers!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Eli, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#1 Eli, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Well, technically speaking we're always looking for writers, but we figured we'd make it official and actually put out a casting call for TouchArcade forum members to get more involved in the site. Think you've got what it takes? Read on!

First off, the nitty-gritty requirements:
    • Must be 18+ years old.
    • Own at least a 3rd generation iOS device.
    • At least 6 hours a week to commit to playing games and writing about them.
    • Some kind of industry-centric writing experience.

Our ideal candidate(s) would be someone with a history of PC/console gaming who is knowledgeable of both retro and modern games. Since the advent of the App Store, they've been following the day to day releases of games, knows the history of iOS game releases, and can recollect past favorites as well as identify and appreciate inspirations in recent releases as the iOS world continues to evolve. We also need you to have good writing skills, be able to provide balanced and well thought out gameplay evaluations, and meet agreed upon deadlines. You should already be reading TouchArcade daily, and you should be able to easily adapt to both the tone and the writing style of the site.

If this sounds like you, send us an email at [email protected] with the subject "TouchArcade Job". Also include the following:

1. A brief resume with a bio and any applicable writing/gaming experience. In addition, include your age, location, and current employment.
    2. Links to existing published reviews.
    3. Favorite iPhone games, game genres you prefer as well as genres or game types you tend to avoid.
    4. Realistic availability estimate, what time of the day you'd prefer to work, and how many articles per week you see yourself writing.

This would be a part time freelance position paid in US dollars. We're open to international applicants, as long as you're open to being compensated in USD. Since we're a proper legit company, US citizens will need to fill out a 1099 and other associated tax documentation to be a bonafide worker.

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    This is awesome. And I simply would love to apply/join, I honestly do think I have what it would take. However, I simply do not have the time to commit. That's the shitty part. =( Good luck to all who apply and good luck to TA finding people!

3. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Application sent!

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Definitely interested and will try to get my details in tonight.

5. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Wow... what do you reckon guys (n'gals)? Should I give it a go?

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Of course what could it hurt?.. I'm thinking about submitting something myself.. ;)

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  8. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I nominate you Bat!

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

CHARLEY!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Definitely applying, tonight.

11. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    Will definitely be applying by tomorrow, if that's okay.

12. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to write for TA, unfortunately I am only 17 so I guess I will just have to wait another year :(

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    This sounds interesting and I would like to write for touchArcade, but I'll definately need someone to correct my grammatical mistakes.

14. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #14 HardcoreEricXXX, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Is this compensation per article? or some other criteria? Is the pay competitive and worth my time? How many unique page views does TouchArcade get a day?

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Definitely applying soon. Working on a review right now. :)

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We pay per article, from what I've been able to discern we're incredibly competitive with the blogging scene in general especially when it comes to iOS related sites. No idea if that's worth your time or not. We get around 750,000 unique visitors a month per http://toucharcade.com/about/

17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I think it is impressive that you pay at all and it says something about this site. I was a reviewer for NintendoLife and all reviewer positions were non paid and I know there are a lot of other sites out there that are set up the same way.

I am not putting in for this but hopefully more reviewers means more reviews, since this is pretty much the only site I visit for iOS gaming.

18. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Is there any timeframe for when you'll choose someone?

19. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Is this exclusive? As in would we only write for TouchArcade, or would we be able to write for other sites as well?

20. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You know it! :D
    While I nominated Bat, you of course would get my vote!! :) :p