Rant of the day..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    APPLE.. what the hell are they thinking?

Why on earth do they give us an option to disable automatic updates when the sodding device totally and utterly IGNORES it?

I did a complete format of my ipad today and one of the first things I did after turning it back on was to turn OFF auto updates as I know the damn thing has been whining at me to install ios 8 for ages and I don't want it.

I look at my pad an hour later and it's downloaded the bloody update!!! Why, when I told it not to??

Yes, I am mad about this, it's irritating.

2. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Is this a "rant of the day" thread where everyone rants about something or just your rant?

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Forced updates annoy me as well whether it's Windows, my Nexus 7, my Vita or something else. They all seem to force you into it by nagging you until you give in and usually at the worst possible times.

I'm a bit more wary of updates now because I had an s4 mini which actually worked brilliantly until it got an update and the addition of Knox definitely hit the performance on it.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    It's whatever you want :)

5. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

My rant of the day is that there are a lot of spam posts about skin care products here by various users lately. Probably by various robot accounts :mad:

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Robots can use computers??

7. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    How else did you think they reproduce?

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Loads of things are pissing me off today, nothing serious or major just lots of little tiny things that are fighting for brain space and making me want to go up a hill and scream. I've not had my usual amount of coffee either and it's giving me a headache.

Eta, I'd be pissed off if ios8 got forced on me too.

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I 'm taking them out as I see them, rest assured that it is being handled by the mods and me.

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Expecting a new rant today.

11. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm tired of games (mostly games with online multiplayer where this issues get more obvious) that don't have any kind of balance. I'm talking about simple game balance issues, like upgrades for characters/guns without any downsides, the game itself telling you that X gun/character is better than Y and so on, like in Modern Combat 5; gameplay features that don't make any sense, like the special second health bar for the partner and how Pandora works in Street Fighter X Tekken Mobile; the use of boosters, like in Street Fighter X Tekken Mobile and Captain Strike, and of course games with paywalls, ridiculous overpriced items and IAP-only BS, like in most Glu games.

Sometimes it's so ridiculous it's like the devs don't want us to enjoy their games.

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Think I will have a rant of my own but it's really a very first world problem, I've a week off work and plan to pretty much just play video games.

My trouble is there is simply to many good games on PC it's so hard to choose what to actually play, to make matters worse for myself I've picked up three big games in the last week alone.

Now I'm trying to decide between Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor and Civilization beyond Earth yes totally my own fault but so little time so much choice I kind of miss the console days where if I got one new game I played it to complete death multiple times before I got a chance to get another.

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I really like this idea. It would be nice, however, unrealistic, if somehow all the negative, unproductive crap comments in some of the other threads could magically be directed here. Wishful thinking...

I'll be back when I have something to get angry about. :D

14. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Shadow of Mordor -> Civilization Beyond Earth -> Alien Isolation and I would even go that far to say that you won`t have enough time to play the last Game at all since the ifrst two are big enough to take all your time away.

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    November releases would be the killer for me, although I must grab civ once the rubbish regional pricing here subsides.

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #16 september, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    As a point of reference it's currently $90 USD from Steam which equates to $115 NZD, which is nuts. Generally you'd buy something like that for around $50-$60 NZD (maybe even lower if you got lucky) on release digitally.

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Cost me £29.99 in steam which is really close to a console game price but I justify it because it's a Civ game and I don't think there is anything with better replayability also I was hoping it would be more like Alpha Centauri (bit disappointing in that aspect).

I did end up playing it most of yesterday but I'm only about half way through my first game, it is very similar to Civ 5 but different enough to make it new.

Shadow of Mordor is also excellent from what I've played so I do think Alien Isolation will be played last I do intend to complete that one as well though but I can see myself playing that one in short sessions due to the atmosphere.

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013

I think you can't prevent it from automatically downloading by switching a button. This switch is meant for appstore updates.
    It will only downloading it when your device is charging and wifi is available.

19. september

Sep 14, 2012
    £29.99 is about $62 NZD which is far more reasonable, cheapest locally from retail is $78 (compared to Steam digital at $115). Typically retail here will be more expensive than digital, and that's usually retailers selling for under RRP. I would expect to pay around $80-$95 retail (digitally will be $10-$15 higher) for a console title on release, and that's only if I'm really wanting it as generally game prices drop pretty rapidly, funnily enough quicker digitally. It's very publisher dependant, some companies accountants are better than others.

20. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    And I thought the Tax in the UK was pretty awful if it helps any my advice wold be hold off on it until they add some more factions to the game, I always tend to load my civ games with all the AI's I can fit but with beyond earth I think there is only about 8 of them.

Game needs some serious DLC or Mods to add more content to it in my opinion, it's still good if you like the Civ games though.