Confirmed: No Shadow Comlex for iOS devices

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirAwesome, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Sad news, but its good that Chair is not gona make a crappy port to make a quick buck, which I respect.

Article from pocket gamer:

Critically acclaimed XBLA shooter Shadow Complex won’t be coming to touch-controlled devices anytime soon, according to the game's creative director.

Talking to Eurogamer about the possibility of a port of the game's forthcoming sequel on iPhone, Chair Entertainment's Donald Mustard said, "I still cannot think of a way that we'd be able to bring over the precision controls [to touchscreen devices] that Shadow Complex needs to be amazing.”

He went on to explain that "Shadow Complex is designed for a controller. I'm not a fan of trying to shoehorn console controls onto touch screens. They don't feel right. You just lose so much precision."

Do you, though? While Mustard's point is broadly fair, Ravenous Games's recent retro hit League of Evil demonstrated that that precision and touchscreen controls can go together if enough programming flair is applied to the problem.

A Metroid style 2.5D platformer, Shadow Complex was nominated for several awards when it was released in 2009, boasting an 88 per cent percent Metacritic average score.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    This doesn't touch me so much!

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Well as the front page says, they are still open to the idea, they are just uncertain as to how they'd implement controls. Not necessarily 'confirmed' 'til they say in plain English (or whatever language the natively speak!) that it's not happening.

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    good point, I had the thread up before the story was on the front page, I guess if duke nukem can finally be released nothing is hopeless :)

5. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Good, it's better suited for the console. The developers can perhaps work on a dedicated iOS game?

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Really wanted it. :( Oh well. Hopefully they are going to make great iOS exclusive games in the future.