What the heck is using up so much space?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by spader623, Jun 18, 2014.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm sorry to ask here, but idk where else to ask. I realized my phone has less space, like a LOT less then it should have, even with the OS. So, I check it by syncing it and some 'other' category is using up 14 GB. Yeah... 14. So I google it and try the solutions and nothing works... The only solution seems to be restoring it. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'd rather not restore it. It's a pain and takes a while.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've read that resetting the network settings sometimes fixes it.

I had the same problem few weeks ago but ended up upgrading to 7.1 and it fixed it.

3. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Have you looked under General - Usage - and waited for the app sizes to load? I'm amazed at how big the documents & data can get to be for some apps. That probably won't account for all of it, but you may discover a culprit in there?

4. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Some are big... But nowhere near 14 freaking gigabytes worth.

5. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah, that is a ton and it didn't seem like it would find a culprit, but you never know. You could also try phoneclean or an app like that to get rid of extra stuff that accumulates.

6. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Tried that... Oh it'll find what's wrong... But to delete it, you gotta pay and buy it. Also, resetting my network settings got me a whopping 1.5 gigabytes. Or somewhere around that. Thanks guys.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Its possible you may have comics, books and other document files there which usually fall under "other" since they are data files under an app.

8. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    No comics, or books... But my question is, how do I get rid of it? Someone recommended resetting my network settings and that got Me back at LEAST 1.5 gigabytes.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    If you was jailbroken... iCleaner would give you back on average 1gb of free space by removing many unwanted things that start clogging up the OS. I use it once a month and I get back 600 to 1gb back in free space.

You can read more about what iCleaner actually removes... So you can try manually doing things with iFunbox if you're NOT jailbroken.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Should probably be in the lounge.

Related to this - iMessage in my iPad takes up over a freakin' gig...wtf. To be fair, I use it a lot but still.

To add on to what's been previously mentioned, apps like Facebook & Chrome can balloon in size with docs&data - delete and reinstall those to clean several hundred megabytes.

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Well for one, iOS 7 takes up a shitload of space for an OS. Two, documents and data (mentioned earlier) can be very large for sole apps.
    Also, some apps have a tendancy of having leftover data on your device after deletion.

12. Nidol

Nidol Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Im going to offer some advice and hopefully it helps. I just recently had this issue. I was trying to transfer a game from my computer to my iPad or vise versa and there wasn't enough space on the iPad so every time it would create a copy of the install without finishing. As i deleted more and more things it kept filling up with other and never properly installing. What i recommend which helped me fix is to first delete as much unnecessary apps and files as possible, afterward hard reset your device: home and sleep button together till it fully resets. Then resync and reinstall any apps you need back with the free spec you received. I had 6 gb of other and doing this fixed it and i was able to get the app or put on my computer. Anyway hope this helps!

13. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Check your messages; iMessage is terrible about accumulating data over time. Every picture or video you send or receive is saved on your device - it adds up.

14. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Glad resetting the network setting worked a little for you, do you use a YouTube app or a radio one, a lot of my memory usage was coming from them, deleting them and reinstalling every now and then helps.

Do you use the mail app? That stores a copy of your emails on your device so I always check my mail via a browser now.

Do you use a different iTunes account, like a New Zealand account, I think that stuff shows under other.

You could try ifun box to delete any files you don't think are needed.

It would bug me not knowing what's hogging the space.

15. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
  16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    ...........now it makes sense.

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Oh and iOS 8 will take more resources... And it will come with a new pre-installed - podcast.app

18. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    So, I've checked the documents and data part. It dosnt use up a ton of space. I don't know about messages though. It says it's not much, but if what you guys said is true, it's using up a lot more data then it says. A hard reset sounds Like the best solution... But it'll take up a lot of time and is basically a last resort so I'm iffy on that. Reset my mail, that helped a bit. I have like one song on my iPhone so that dosnt affect me. No audio stuff, besides some podcasts... That's about it as far as I can tell.

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Agreed... The problem is I delete threads but the messages appear to be still stored. I look at usage and it states 1.5gb for iMessages. Any way to fix this? Not sure why it hS cached or saved 1.5gb of messages!

20. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Just used this app and it cleared 300mb from my device. It's usually paid but was just posted in the price drop section if you wanna check it out

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kruptos-free-space-encryption/id661800424?mt=8

Attached Files: