We just found a clone of our app, Rebus Puzzler, and the clone is in the top 200 now

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tornroos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. tornroos

tornroos Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Our word and picture puzzle game, Rebus Puzzler - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rebus-puzzler/id624161291?mt=8 , has been copied and since it was made by a relatively big developer they have gotten it ranked to the top 200 overall free iPhone apps after two days of being released. Their app icon even copies one of our puzzles exactly which is how we found out in the first place (not to mention the other puzzles in their app).

After seeing other similar situations (of copied and clones apps) there is not much we can do about clones and app copying... but... we are putting our app up for free now in hopes we can get more downloads than them and outrank their cloned app.

So, if you enjoy puzzles and word games please take a look at Rebus Puzzler: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rebus-puzzler/id624161291?mt=8

And to be completely transparent we had put in in-app purchases when we first launched the app to enable someone to play through the puzzles faster if they want (by using coins to give extra clues) but the in-app purchases are not necessary to beat the game. You can beat it on your own without any costs at all.

Attached Files:

2. Could you give a link to the app that copied you in the app store please?

If it is a perfect clone and it doesn't have any permission from you and there is proof of your app making it onto the app store first, then shouldn't all of that give you a perfect legal case?

3. tornroos

Jan 9, 2013
  4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Their icon is similar, but not the same - the hand image is different and so is the solution. It's not a particularly original Rebus puzzle and it seems like a logical choice for an app icon, too.

It's not like you invented Rebus puzzles or the interface, which is similar to Draw Something and every game which wants to be the next Guess the Logo/Video Game/whatever, Badly Drawn Movies/Actors, 4 Pics 1 Word casual phenomenon. It's possible the developers had seen your app but there are so many devs jumping on the same bandwagon at the moment that I suspect it's just a case of convergence.

It's bad luck for you that their app is more popular, but I think it's pushing it to accuse them of cloning you and trying to ride on the Luftrausers wave of anti-clone opinion.

5. Smithey

Smithey Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I think a number of people are confused as to what a clone is - versus a game that's similar. I've seen this with example people have been giving oot in the on the Vlambeer stoey too.

6. tornroos

Jan 9, 2013
    That is definitely possible but it is not just the app icon.

As I went through their app many of their puzzles are direct copies of mine (if not all). I could not find any unique ones not in my app even though some of theirs have different graphics, etc. Now, a rebus puzzle is not unique and I never invented it but of course it is disconcerting to see some other app coming out after mine which is more popular from their larger user base.

Definitely not trying to ride any bandwagon. I just used that example since the first commentator was asking about their app being an exact copy, which it isn't.