GameClub Melodive (by Johan Gjestland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I hope this isn't bad news disguised as good news. Are you happy with how the project turned out? Will you continue to develop the engine and create apps for iOS?

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Haha, no this is only good news! I've sold about 6000 copies (50k downloads total) and have gained a lot of insights. Melodive is so niche that I never expected much from it. The support I've gotten here and on reddit has made be very motivated to continue development on other projects. I'm very much looking forward to it. Also, as I plan to release the sound packs as IAP, it's good to have a large install base. This will also help me promoting new games. I really felt that I broke through the noise with Melodive.

I just want to repeat that the love I've gotten here and in the appstore reviews is what makes this worthwhile for me! I think the TA-community is great in it's nerdiness and attention to iOS-gaming, and I would encourage people to continue supporting the small developers with kind words/suggestions/interest. It really means the world, a fact that is easy to overlook! :)

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    If you like Melodive, please consider leaving a small endorsement here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=187410

If you're a redditor, I also have a thread at r/apphookup: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=187410

Finally there is a thread in r/whoadude: http://www.reddit.com/r/woahdude/comments/1dkwt9/hey_rwoahdude_our_favorite_ios_app_has_gone_free/

Visibility is extremely important, so that's why I'm posting this. I said no to appoday (they wanted 50% for 90 days + nag-screens), so I need all the help I can get. A few countries has Melodive in the top 100 now, but the states is lagging behind. Hopefully it will pick up tonight!

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I know I haven't posted in a while, but I popped in to say thank you for making the text clearer and for the great updates! Changed my review to five stars!

5. Corvo Attano 77

Corvo Attano 77 Active Member

May 5, 2013
    Just posting to say that this "game" is quite brilliant. It took me a few minutes to realise that I was essentially a glider but then the controls clicked. I love the procedural graphics, love the 60fps, and love the full 3DOF tilting.

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    thanks man! Good to hear you could get the hang of the controls, and appreaciate all the things that I felt was important in Melodive!

7. Dueler

Dueler Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Seems every week your changing the price on this. Congrats on your 6000 copies. Care to tell how many people have snaged it during the free periods?

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi there!

Melodive will stay free, but it was down to 300 copies yesterday, so I tried to trick the price drop bots to tweet about me. Do do this I had to momentarily switch back to paid. It's now back to free. If this trick works, I will continue to do this once every two weeks, as I am trying to break 100k copies (currently 67758 copies downloaded). That should make about 62k free downloads total.

I hav just finished a long road trip (filming for my day job). Hopefully I can get back to doing the sound packs now!

9. Presty6

Presty6 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hey Johan, how is the progress on melodive, the IAP and your development progress in general. You haven't updated in a while.

10. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    dev, all these price changes are getting obnoxious. EVERY DAY the price changes. please stop. im temoving from my watch list for this reason alone.

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm sorry, i didn't realize anybody noticed! I thought the watch list was for upcoming apps, haven't tried the ta-app myself. I've been doing some experimenting on what the best way to generate a lot of downloads when going free without any promotion. Only way has been to switch between free and paid. I will be a little more careful with my price-changes now that I now that I'm being watched! :)

Excuse my ignorance, but is the watch list for more than just tracking releases and prices?

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Presty,

I've been busy with paid work, and haven't had the time (besides enjoying the short and light norwegian summer). Also, I've been waiting for the sound-files, as I'm getting two pro musicians to do the sound.

As of today I'm getting back into the programming, as I cannot think of anything more fun doing, and first order of business is to get that music expansion up and running.

I'm also thinking about a few variations of the Melodive-formula that I want to make soon. I cannot promise too much, but my aim has always been destructable terrain, so it would be fun to do something with that.

I want to take what's great about Melodive and remix into something a bit more accessible, but just as psychedelic!

13. Presty6

Presty6 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Ok we'll good look luck with that, I can't wait to see what great games will be had with the melodive formula.

The watch list tracks when a app's price changes, it is released, if it is updated, and if it TA does an article on it.

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, expect more info as soon as I get started!

Ah, okey. I didn't understand the reason for tracking an app you already have, but now I understand. Anyhow Melodive is free again and will stay that way for some time.

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Update!

Hello friends,

It's been a good month for Melodive with 3500 paid downloads after it got featured by Apple under "The best games you've never played" (thanks to all 5-star reviewers!). That was the kick behind I needed to finish up the update, and two days ago I finally submitted Melodive 1.5 to Apple!

Big thing is of course the tree new sound packs, but I also made it impossible to die in FREE-mode (shake to quit) and I fixed the perspective for iPad Mini. You can now choose between four bass-sounds and three different color modes in the new AMBIENCE-menu.

Hopefully the update will be out in a few days. In the meantime, check out the trailer:

The update will of course be free, still no IAP, except the small donation ;)

Cheers,
    Johan

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Given the update in the pipeline Im going to reinstall the game. Free mode sounds like it'll be cool to relax to.

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Why would you delete Melodive, it was only 3mb?! Glad you are reinstalling though. The update is now live and Melodive is free for the weekend to celebrate, so please tell all your friends! :)

18. Balders

Balders Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Got this yesterday. So far I'm pretty bad at it and spend most of my time tumbling painfully from one jagged outcropping to the next.

Nonetheless, I love playing it. Those brief moments of managing to swoop and dive through narrow gaps make all the falling and bouncing worthwhile.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with practice.

Actually, it's very refreshing to have an experience that pretty much throws you in the deep end and lets you figure out how to swim, so to speak*. It's a breath of fresh air after playing so many games that insist on interrupting the flow with derpy tutorial messages like "TAP TO JUMP!"... (5 seconds later) ... "HOLD TO JUMP HIGHER!"

Was playing last night on ipad in bed with lights off. Division between game world and real world began to fade away. Quite an experience! :cool:

*I know there are tutorial resources like Johan's video tute available, and I'll probably check it out later, but right now I'm happy bumbling and bouncing down into the tuniverse.

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Haha, I love your pespective on the tutorial-stuff. If only everybody was like you! I'm glad to hear that you don't get too frustrated as some people do (the 1-star reviewers), i think everybody can practice and get pretty descent in this game, but it takes way more time than usual on iOS. Anyhow, I'm real happy that you see it the way you do and tell me about it as I have slapped my self around plenty for not taking the time to make a proper tutorial.

^^ This is the game right here!

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hello people,

Don't know if anybody follows this thread anymore, but here is a small update:

Melodive is going pretty good, after being picked up by Apple in two categories in the Game Collections-section in about 100 countries, including US and Canada.

I plan to add MFI-controller support as soon as I get my hand on one.

Melodive also made two "best of 2013"-lists:
    http://indiegamereviewer.com/the-top-20-best-indie-mobile-games-of-2013-ios-and-android/
    http://ifanzine.com/best-ios-games-of-2013-nathans-picks/

The reason I'm writing to you know, is that I recently found this competition called "Best
    Apps Ever Awards", and I would like to ask you to nominate Melodive in the "Most innovative game"-category. Yes, I know that is a mouthfull, but some of you might agree, so I gave it a shot. The direct link is here: http://www.bestappever.com/c/ingm/603093983

Cheers,
    Johan