Universal Warhammer Quest - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    This sounds awfully weak. The games been out for 10 months, gotten 2 area expansions and additional characters. It's gotten far more support than most games. Crying over some additional IAP that aren't required at all by the game to progress comes off as whinny.

2. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think you're missing the point. Many fans of the game were expecting more areas and expansions, and then news seemed to emerge that wasn't going to happen, and rodeo would be moving on to other projects. Then their WAS another update, but people saw it as an iap cash grab. I think the issue that bothers people is that if they were going to continue working on the game, fans would have hoped it would have been another area, monsters, etc.

3. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    That "support" wasn't exactly free. Every individual character came with a separate cost, as did each zone. Coming from a consumer who felt most of this content was worth the purchase, it was a lot more extra costs for specific, often small items than one would generally see in a non-freemium game. In addition, the game already had unnecessary IAP that added nothing but making the game easier in the form of gold and legendary weapons.

So what you consider "whinny" I simply consider being disappointed as a consumer who supported the game, and expected a little more from the company. Does this business practise take away from the gameplay? No, but it does add a feeling that people who were willing to support what was marketed as a "premium" title are being nickel and dimed by cheap, freemium-style content, rather than having something of substance added. Had the company handled the release of this IAP differently than essentially sneaking it under the radar after months of virtually no updates, perhaps it would have been more accepted, as is, I personally am not impressed.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Kirenx is absolutely right. Rodeo put out new content and charged premium prices for it, asking a higher price for individual characters than most devs asked for their entire games. I happily paid that, believing not only that the content was well worth its price, but that, for once, an iOS developer was actually sticking to its guns and demanding fair compensation for their hard work instead of throwing up its hands and running down the freemium rabbit hole.

I never cared about the fact that there was consumable IAP in the form of gold. All of Rodeo's games have been well-balanced, without the need for cheats, so if they threw this option in like they did with Hunters 1 and 2 to make a few extra bucks, who cares? It never influenced game balance, and was never in my face. You could play each game without even knowing it was there. Not anymore. Now they stuck that stupid icon right at the top with a stealth release, no getting away from it. Frankly, it's such a shabby move that it makes me question their commitment to fair games going forward. It's their right to do as they like, but if you don't think after laying down over $40 for this game and praising it to the high heavens that we've got a case to complain, you're out of your bloody mind.

5. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Fine argument, but I have to disagree with you on that legendary weapons bit. In the first couple of weeks when the game was out, fans were crying out for more legendary items with unique looks, remember? Don't know about you but I gladly sacrificed the price of an ice cream to make my marauder and wizard into pure awesomeness. My point is, the IAPs were offered because there were demands for them. Strong demands, might I add.

I guess the same thing could be said for the schools of magic system. If I were to lose my character and precious equipment, I might just make a purchase out of an impulse. The IAPs make perfect sense to me. They are unnecessary to most players, but could come in handy in some circumstances. New enemies and weapons don't make the game "pay to win", they make it more fun.

6. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I just switched the game from iPhone to iPad. So that "stupid icon" doesn't bother me that much. :rolleyes:

7. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    #3887 tarasis, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Dropped to Free? Wow.

Edit --- I'm hoping this is to become Apples next free App of the Week

8. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I'm kinda amazed that something with GW licence drops to free.
    Also kinda sad with few of last updates, they totally ruined the game in attempt to milk more money from players.

9. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Let's face it: there's gold in them thar IAPs.

10. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can't believe it's free now! Anyone remotely interested should pick it up.

But I agree they got greedy in the end with IAP I purchased a few but gave up after a while. Had all the best gear on all my guys and want more game.

11. Is this freemium now or just temp free?

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well there's been no update to change it to freemium so must be temp free. Maybe apples choice this week?

13. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    It's the App Of the Week in the german AppStore. Dunno if it's the same in other countries but yeah.

14. FrehleyzComet

FrehleyzComet Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Foreman
    Pennsylvania
    Dlc is on sale!! What's worth getting? Which characters, tile sets, etc.

15. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    ALL OF IT! (except for the weapons).

IMNSHO.

16. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Everything's on sale bought brutal tribe and skaven

17. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Bought the 4 heroes I had not yet and the last 2 pack of ennemies.

So the full game is now pretty cheap for someone who got it for free during the apple weekly feat.
    Well worth it :)

18. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    It's a great game (play on hardcore). It get's really tense.

I bought everything bar the gear for full price back in the before times and I don't regret it.

Happy playing.

19. FrehleyzComet

FrehleyzComet Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Foreman
    Pennsylvania
    So everything is worth it except the weapons?

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are the weapons super powered cheats or is there a reasonable cause to purchase them for challenge minded players?