Universal Random Heroes - (by Ravenous Games) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Winterymix

Winterymix Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Registered Nurse
    West Virginia, USA
    No lag I can detect on my 4S.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, that's pretty strange. I haven't had any lag on my 4th gen touch, and it's a POS. =oP

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    No lag here either and I'm on a 3GS!

4. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Great game. Controls are excellent, level design enemies, weapons, I like everything.

5. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I am a big fan of Ravenous' League of Evil series and I think that in many way they are the iconic platformers on iOS. On the other hand, I detested Ravenous' Burger Cat and though that it was a deplorable attemp at cashing in on both their reputation and the I Can has Cheezburger Internet meme. I think that Random Heroes design choices contain noticeable influences from both games. Stylistically it resembles League of Evil. In terms of gameplay it has slow and dull character (skins notwithstanding) and minuscule difficulty level as in Burger Cat. It represents a step up from their previous game for sure, so Hopefully they can continue to climb back up to the level of their former greatness.

6. meto1003

meto1003 New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    eh..
    looks classic but UI could to be better looking..

7. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm obviously the downer here, but I am somewhat disappointed in this one.
    I finished the game last night in an hour, although you do get enough coins to upgrade your guns and character. I picked 'Neo' as he was def the best all around for me. i tried the Nun too, and although she had more health, Neo was def more damaging.

I just can't believe how quickly the game went by. The level designs were pretty good, not great, but I agree that the AI was as stupid as they come. Some of them just stood there and shot in one direction and you can jump over them and you're fine.

I also don't think the levels were all that much longer than LOE's levels; yes, they were longer, but not by much.

Previous LOE titles were, for me, a heck of a lot more challenging, and therefore, more entertaining.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm really enjoying the game, and it's great to see that enemies spit out coins, unlike the flash version, and you don't need to push down to go through doors like you do in the flash version... but the controls could be a little closer together. Even on my iPod, they seem just a tad too far apart, and on the iPad, it's basically unplayable for me. The option to place buttons wherever you want, as well as adding Joypad support (like you did with LoE 1+2) would be awesome!

Other than that... I'm really REALLY enjoying this one. =oD

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, I'm REALLY trying to NOT compare this to LoE, as I know it's a completely different title... I think that's what's helping me enjoy it more...

If I want LoE, I've got both of em on both my devices, I'll play it... but this is a nice change of pace, and when not compared to LoE, I think the enjoyment level goes up a bit. =oP

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Crashing like crazy on my ipad2! Sometimes when enemies hit me, when going thru doors, and if I die. Whats up with that?

11. sinuous

sinuous Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Lead Mobile Developer
    UK
    Thanks, I dunno what it is, maybe I'm super sensitive to it or maybe its only happening on my devices but I've tried it on a bunch of devices and its always the same.

It seems most noticeable if I stand on a moving platform, but its as if the framerate isn't consistent or its out of sync or something. Just seems sluggish and not as smooth as all the other games I have. Eek!

I want to play the game so much that I'm just looking past the problem and trying to ignore it!

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Played through the first couple levels, really diggin' this so far! :D

13. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Very well put. I'm going to mix up some guns and characters tonight and give 'er another run based on opening my eyes this way and not comparing.
    I certainly want to like it more..

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yay or Nay? Buy or no buy? I have 2$ left and have yet to buy nothing from new releases

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I say buy. Don't expect LoE-style platforming, though. This is different, but still solid!

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    BUY IT. As suggested, do not compare this to their previous games and you'll love it.

The content might not be too much this time, but knowing Ravenous Games and how they make their children grow, this game will grow big.

17. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Ravenous Games is no longer synonymous with Instabuy.Ok were do I begin,I finished this game in 50min to a hour (way to short) and I did enjoy it to a point but I think I enjoyed it off of previous game merit/success i.e Loe (ios classic),Loe 2 is ok but not quit as good as the first and Burgercat I hated.Maybe they set the bar too high w/Loe.I pretty much cursed thru this and once I bought the Rocket launcher it was a breeze.I see absolutely no replay value at all.The AI walk away from me and let me shoot them in the back w/out turning around to fight back.The enemies in general are weak and pose no real challenge.The hardest part of the game is maybe timing your jumps (and thats not hard).I expected much more.I guess Ravenous is just synonymous for spot on controls (that they get a A).

18. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Kinda have mixed feelings about this game. It's really not that much fun, more frustrating then fun. I am a big fan of LoE1&2 but this is no where near that. Maybe once you collect coins and buy better weapons it gets better but right now not so great. The levels are boring too not much variety and the enemies are just plain annoying. It's hard to avoid them.

19. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    This game is quite good. Completed within an hour no need to purchase any iAP as coins are easy to get (beat a boss level a few times and that gives you a lot of coins to buy stuff in the shop).
    30 levels is too short, 60 would have been acceptable at launch. Guess this is just gonna sit in a folder until an update comes along and I'm guessing it's gonna be sometime as LOE2 hasn't had any new levels since it was released!

20. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Buy it. Like LOE, it's worth every penny and then some.
    As others said, it's not LOE. It is one of the best platformers on iOS though.
    Reminds me of early mega man games in some ways.