Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 PM

It seems there's no alphabetical sorting.

I added three songs, they did not sort, I see no option.

I did not play the three songs I added, so they could still be deleted.

I didn't even put them in reverse alphabetical order in case it sorted new songs that way for some reason. It did not. (Songs are added to the top of the list.)

And I closed the app in case that would sort them!
I covered every possibility. There's no sorting.

I do not want a mixed up list.
And even if I actually decided on every song I would ever want to add before adding any, the included songs would be ordered wrong.

And another thing: someone said you can even delete the included songs if you five-star them... Intentional? Possible to undo? (Maybe fixed in this update already?)

Last edited by Intendro; 05-24-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilMcW00t View Post
The swiping is often misinterpreting my intended direction at the worst possible time. And the 5 star requirement is so strict. Breaking combo late pretty much ruins the run and every time it screws up my input I'm just looking at the screen and sighing. It's making it harder to go back to it now.
Getting 5 stars can be pretty hard, but it's certainly doable, sometimes even if you screw up your combo once or twice.

A helpful strategy might be to invest some of the records you earn into upgrading the Magnet power-up, and start equipping it every time you play. Once you upgrade it to last 20/30 seconds, you never really have to worry about collecting the records anymore and can just focus on swiping to avoid the objects to the beat.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
The part I dislike the most is groove mode though, not seeing the blinking sidewalk throws me off sometimes, forcing me to rely solely on the beat.
That's the whole point, though! Not having the flashing indicators makes judging your timing a little harder, but your reward for doing well is double the points!

(P.S.: There's sort of still a visual indicator during Groove World if you keep having trouble--the character's run animation is timed so that you should be swiping right before their foot hits the pavement in front of the obstacle. Whenever I find myself screwing up the timing in Groove World, watching the timing of the feet and playing along to that usually sets me straight.)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Game Impressions

Anyway, some impressions/suggestions/feedback for the developers:

#1: Please please please please please please please let us delete songs and reuse the song-slots after we've played them. I've loaded about 21 songs into the game so far, and 8 of them just aren't fun to play for a variety of reasons.

Some of them ("In the Street" by Big Star, "Range Life" by Pavement, "Government Center" by The Modern Lovers) have very slight tempo changes or an inconsistent beat that makes the song awkward to play (because the music doesn't sync up with the visuals).

Some of them were processed strangely... "Surfin' Safari" by The Beach Boys, for example, is a song with a quick tempo, but the game paired the character footsteps to half-note beats instead of the usual quarter-beats, so it looks like the character is running in slow-motion for no reason.

One song, "Lights Out" by Santigold, has beats that are matched a bit out of sync and I have absolutely no idea why (the song uses a drum machine, I had assumed it would be a good choice for the game).

And finally, the most recent song I loaded up, "Care" by Kaada, was INSANELY messed-up--the flashing indicators weren't matching the beat in any logical way--until I realized that the song was in waltz time and the game had difficulty forcing it into 4/4.

Because of the nature of a game like this, the consumers are basically play-testing their own game levels, and sometimes they're a little broken. For this reason, I really hope you guys can come up with some kind of solution for deleting songs/reusing song slots. Otherwise, I (and presumably a bunch of other players) are just going to have a lot of wasted song slots cluttering up our lists with poorly beat-matched songs that we'll never want to play again :\

#2: Backstage Passes are too hard to earn through regular play
After you play through your first four or five songs, the number of backstage passes you receive settles into pretty stingy default amount for playing a song: 3 Passes for earning 5 stars on a song you play for the first time (or 1 Pass for a earning 4 stars on a song you play for the first time, with 2 Passes for earning 5 stars later). After that, replaying a song and earning 5 stars only gets you 1 Pass. 4 stars gets you nothing.

Let's assume you're a great player and you always earn 5 stars on every song. Let's also assume all you spend your backstage passes on is song slots. You'd have to complete 8 5-star playthroughs per new song. Now, let's consider the reality that it's not always easy to get a 5-star run, and that's a lot more playthroughs wasted on 3 and 4-star runs with no Backstage Pass yield. And it's a lot of playing the same songs over and over and over and over again.

There are a few ways I think you guys could make this process less grindy for players who aren't willing to funnel money into the game for resources. The missions aren't really enough, because almost all of them include some kind of grinding task (wall run over 250 obstacles, jump over 2500 obstacles, earn 10,000 records, etc.)

In games like Candy Crush and SongPop, you have a once-daily opportunity to spin a wheel and earn some in-game resources/power-ups. In Candy Crush, it always ends up being some inconsequential one-use power-up, and in SongPop, it's usually either 2 power-ups or 25 coins (used to contribute toward buying song quiz playlists). And while neither contributes to progressing through the game in any kind of overwhelming way, it's nice to get a little boost just for booting up the apps. It would be great if you guys implemented a daily prize mechanic offering things like records (say, in 250, 500, and 1000 denominations) and, most importantly, Backstage Passes (1, 3, 5). You could also offer things like "Free Sprint Solos for 24 Hours" or something.

But most of all, I just wish you were more generous with the passes won for completing a stage. 1 Pass for 4-stars and 2 Passes for 5 stars (regardless of how many times you play the songs) seems more fair to me, at least until the user has like 30 songs in their library so they don't have to play the same fifteen-minute playlist over and over again.

#3: Offer a premium ads-free version!
Ads are dumb. I'd be willing to spend 5 to 10 bucks just to get rid of the ads after every other game!

Anyway, I hope some of these things are worth considering. Aside from these issues, I've been having a ton of fun with the game!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
Anyway, some impressions/suggestions/feedback for the developers:

#1: Please please please please please please please let us delete songs and reuse the song-slots after we've played them. I've loaded about 21 songs into the game so far, and 8 of them just aren't fun to play for a variety of reasons.

Some of them ("In the Street" by Big Star, "Range Life" by Pavement, "Government Center" by The Modern Lovers) have very slight tempo changes or an inconsistent beat that makes the song awkward to play (because the music doesn't sync up with the visuals).

Some of them were processed strangely... "Surfin' Safari" by The Beach Boys, for example, is a song with a quick tempo, but the game paired the character footsteps to half-note beats instead of the usual quarter-beats, so it looks like the character is running in slow-motion for no reason.

One song, "Lights Out" by Santigold, has beats that are matched a bit out of sync and I have absolutely no idea why (the song uses a drum machine, I had assumed it would be a good choice for the game).

And finally, the most recent song I loaded up, "Care" by Kaada, was INSANELY messed-up--the flashing indicators weren't matching the beat in any logical way--until I realized that the song was in waltz time and the game had difficulty forcing it into 4/4.

Because of the nature of a game like this, the consumers are basically play-testing their own game levels, and sometimes they're a little broken. For this reason, I really hope you guys can come up with some kind of solution for deleting songs/reusing song slots. Otherwise, I (and presumably a bunch of other players) are just going to have a lot of wasted song slots cluttering up our lists with poorly beat-matched songs that we'll never want to play again :\

#3: Offer a premium ads-free version!
Ads are dumb. I'd be willing to spend 5 to 10 bucks just to get rid of the ads after every other game!

Anyway, I hope some of these things are worth considering. Aside from these issues, I've been having a ton of fun with the game!
First of all, you have good taste in music :P

Regarding #1: If I remember correctly, Harmonix mentioned on a livestream that you can re-assign song slots but only before an actual score is registered. In other words, if you are playing a song for the first time and you are not satisfied with the way it's charted you'll have to quit (Pause > End Song) and then you will still have the option to delete the song. By the time I learned this I had already wasted a song slot on Drive Like Jehu's 'Here Come the Rome Plows', which wasn't fun because the game didn't like the odd 5/8 (i think?) time signature :P (but then a batsh*t insane Lightning Bolt song played fine, go figure).

And about #3: Ads are disabled when you make ANY purchase. I haven't tried it yet but i had a popup mentioning it.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteAzM View Post

Regarding #1: If I remember correctly, Harmonix mentioned on a livestream that you can re-assign song slots but only before an actual score is registered. In other words, if you are playing a song for the first time and you are not satisfied with the way it's charted you'll have to quit (Pause > End Song) and then you will still have the option to delete the song. By the time I learned this I had already wasted a song slot on Drive Like Jehu's 'Here Come the Rome Plows', which wasn't fun because the game didn't like the odd 5/8 (i think?) time signature :P (but then a batsh*t insane Lightning Bolt song played fine, go figure).

And about #3: Ads are disabled when you make ANY purchase. I haven't tried it yet but i had a popup mentioning it.
I saw Lightning Bolt and Wolf Eyes live together around ten years ago and it was one of those life changing moments. Their LPs do not do these bands justice. I can't imagine how a Lightning Bolt track could work in this game. Maybe one of their more structured songs like Dead Cowboy.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:57 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Would someone please add me on GC and send me a challenge (for one of the game's songs)? I need it to complete my current missions, but none of my GC friends seems to be playing this.

GC id is Flyin' Beagle

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvianna View Post
Would someone please add me on GC and send me a challenge (for one of the game's songs)? I need it to complete my current missions, but none of my GC friends seems to be playing this.

GC id is Flyin' Beagle

Thanks!
You need to connect to another player in this single player game?
I hate when that happens, it's just throwing in a random multiplayer-requiring thing for no reason.
It's not a multiplayer mode, it's more like "go find some random person just because."
This sort of thing shouldn't be required at all. If someone wants to just play by themself in single player, just let them. Don't prevent progress in single player by requiring multiplayer stuff.

*looks through missions* And there's several of these! Argh!

Wait, seems you can skip missions by paying records... I hope that applies to all these.

Last edited by Intendro; 05-26-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Quote:
Regarding #1: If I remember correctly, Harmonix mentioned on a livestream that you can re-assign song slots but only before an actual score is registered. In other words, if you are playing a song for the first time and you are not satisfied with the way it's charted you'll have to quit (Pause > End Song) and then you will still have the option to delete the song
That was mentioned in this thread as well, but I feel it's a pretty janky way of getting around a poor design decision. I mean, what about all of the people who try the game without ever looking online to learn about the workaround? At the very least, there should be a warning that pops up before the initial song score is posted asking you if you're sure you want to keep the song permanently in your library. (Although, I'd much prefer the option of deleting a song from a song-slot)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
That's great news! I'm going to go ahead and buy the record doubler, then!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intendro View Post
Wait, seems you can skip missions by paying records... I hope that applies to all these.
Yep, that's what I've been doing for all of the social missions. Which is a shame, because it'd be nice if any of my friends were playing the game, but most of my friends just aren't into mobile gaming :\