★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple - tracking on-device behaviour (anonymously)

08-29-2013, 09:06 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,790
Apple - tracking on-device behaviour (anonymously)

The article below is an interesting read as I was unaware that Apple had enabled advert tracking on my IOS devices. They should have put that option under PRIVACY, but instead it's somewhat hidden away and defaults to be being enabled. The data is collected anonymously, but without requesting permission.

http://www.theverge.com...

I'm guessing that most people will have this monitoring enabled, without knowing about it. I changed the setting to "On", which is how to turn it "Off".
08-29-2013, 09:08 PM
#2
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
I'm guessing that most people will have this monitoring enabled, without knowing about it. I changed the setting to "On", which is how to turn it "Off".
Wut.
08-29-2013, 11:09 PM
#3
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,264
I switched it off when I set up my iPhone on purchase date. Also some apps have anonymous data collection enabled automatically. I switched that off also.
08-29-2013, 11:35 PM
#4
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I switched it off when I set up my iPhone on purchase date. Also some apps have anonymous data collection enabled automatically. I switched that off also.
Off off or On off?

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-29-2013, 11:50 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Wut.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I switched it off when I set up my iPhone on purchase date. Also some apps have anonymous data collection enabled automatically. I switched that off also.
Some apps have an option under IOS settings for preventing data collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Off off or On off?
Yep. They use intentional obscuration.

řƹȡ1
08-30-2013, 02:17 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
Some apps have an option under IOS settings for preventing data collection.
But many apps also just do it My PDF reader for example phones home every time I open a new ebook. It sucks.