iPhone AlephOne (Marathon, Marathon Durandal, Marathon Infinity) - Beta testers wanted

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by vidmaster, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    somewhere in the heavens...they are waiting

So begins the first chapter in the classic Mac first person shooter, Marathon. Come join the beta test of AlephOne, the Open Source port of the Marathon trilogy (iPad only). Have a look at the screen shots below.

Features:
    • all levels from Marathon, Durandal, Infinity
    • HD graphics
    • smooth game play experience
    • 9 unique weapons, fists, double shotguns, and the devastating SPNKR-X18 rocket launcher!
    • infinite saved games, film recording

Development is nearing completion, and we are looking for 10-20 beta testers. Selected beta testers will be given access to the three episodes and asked to provide general feedback, and answer specific questions about the games. The ten testers giving the best feedback will receive promo codes for a free copy of the episode of their choice when the games are released. Beta testers should send an email to [email protected] or pm with the following information:

• first person shooter experience on iOS (noob, so-so, I pwn)
    • number of episodes you wish to test (Marathon, Durandal, Infinity)
    • iPad UUID (directions here)

Welcome to the revolution...
    -vidmaster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    Looking excellent so far from the screenshots. Email sent!

3. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    jazz up the ui a bit and this might be worth it. nostalgia alone isn't good enough for marathon. Make it a unique experience for the ipad.

4. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    ...Please tell me we'll be seeing this on iphone eventually

5. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    If the iPad version does well, I'd port it to the iPhone. Screen real estate is a bit cramped, but I think it could be done.

Cheers

6. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    damn I'd love to see this on iphone/touch at some point.

But still cool that it is coming to the ipad as I do plan on getting an ipad at some point.

7. Elite580

Elite580 Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    When do you think the time it will come to iPhone will be? I love this game :D

8. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    I was hoping for Feb 26, but my beta testers uncovered a nasty audio bug. Apparently, it's a problem for a lot of developers/games in 4.2... So it will have to wait until this can be fixed.

9. Elite580

Elite580 Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Aww That would have been great! My birthday is 2 days after :p Well, thanks for the update!

10. Superhero360

Superhero360 Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I'm so excited to hear that this is coming to the iPad. I'd really love an invite. E-mail sent :)

11. Elite580

Elite580 Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Wait, what do you mean by 26th? Does that mean the beta, or in the app store for iphone? If that's the date it was going in the app store then that means the iphone beta is going on now. I'm signing up if that was the app store debut date!

12. Wow. Bizarre flashback. Back before the App Store some joker claimed he was porting AlephOne (a redone engine to play Marathon on modern DOS-less PCs) to the iPhone/Touch. The thread the alleged dev started on iPodTouchFans generated a lot of discussion, and he had set up a blog to document its progress. In short order I'd offered to remake the music, and managed to do a modern take on one of the tracks, Fat Man. (MP3 link)

And then the "dev" posted a link to an alpha version, which contained binaries that didn't work worth a damn. Actual developers picked it apart and found it didn't contain a shred of iOS code; it was basically the original AlephOne code repackaged. The dude was called on his BS, and he promptly disappeared from the face of the Earth. My track ended up being the only "remake" that you could play in any form. :)

As you can imagine it's kind of weird for me now seeing the game turn up for real this time 4 years later. Definitely looking forward to it though!

13. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Yea, I had hoped to have it for sale on the 26th. The beta is still going on, and there is room if you'd like to give it a go.

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Will it be backwards compatible with OS 3.2?
    Thanks.

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    btw how is going with the audio bug? Seems to be the only real bug there actually so far.

16. Elite580

Elite580 Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Email sent! :D

17. bobobo

bobobo New Member

Feb 7, 2011
  18. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    You people had better buy multiple copies d****t!

I NEED THIS ON MAH PHONE!

19. NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Damn. I would love to test this. Sadly enough, I don't have enough time to test and leave reliable feedback. Looking forward to the release, though.

20. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Still there. It requires a much more indepth understanding of Core Audio, so it will take some time to figure out. I may just push it out to a later release, and auto-save / auto-load progress rather than support background. Up in the air right now.