Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Beatmaker 2 is out. Will be interested to hear anyone's impressions if they decide to give it a whirl--I'm not sure what makes it worth $20 if you already have the original Beatmaker.

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Ack, it's not Universal and there is no iPad version?!? So 2009.

Whatever, I'll probably get it anyway, because the first one was great for it's time. Now they have NanoStudio to compete against, though...

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Unversal/iPad update coming soon according to Intuas website.

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #544 Booch138, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Holy F*CK!! I have been waiting for this for FOREVER!!!! Next payday this is mine. I have the original but always down to pick up the new one and support the devs. They do good work.

5. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Best news EVAR.

6. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Thinking about buying an iPad JUST TO USE Beatmaker 2 on it. When the update comes out, that would be god damn sick!

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Just picked up Beatmaker 2. Will post impressions soon. 490 Meg DL. Freaking huge!

8. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Interested in Beatmaker 2, but not buying yet.

Bought Seline and Bebot yesterday, enjoying them both. They are nice for playing around :p

9. How is Beatmaker 2 compared to the original and Nanostudio?

10. FictionalCharacter

FictionalCharacter Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    hey all. new here. just got my iphone monday, and have $24 left on my gift card (first buck went to dungeon raid).

i play guitar, drums, and some piano and have tried my hand at composition a few times, but it seems to stress me out. i'm hoping that perhaps getting a few music apps will get me into a routine, calm me down, and i'll actually get comfortable composing. plus i find it absolutely insane that some of these full-fledged studios are like 20 bucks. plus i should probably spend my money/time on something more productive than games...

so, my neediness accounted for, i'm looking at apps that will be very accessible and user-friendly, but still capable and which can be exported and whatnot.

noise.io seems like a solid bet at $5 right now, and the consensus from what i've seen of this thread seems to indicate that nanostudio is one of the more streamlined full-featured apps. does that sound about right? am i missing anything crucial? i've read a lot of this thread, but i've got a lot more to look through.

11. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    NanoStudio owns, in my opinion, and noise.io was at the vanguard of the early app store music-making onslaught.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've been messing around the last hour or so with an update of cue play dj it really is one of the best and most professional applications I've bought in the entire app store.
    If you like mixing tracks together this has to be the best app in the store and I can't recommend it enough.
    The one downside of this I would warn about is probably having to import tracks into it instead of using the itunes library but apart from that it really is quite amazing if you are into dj'ing.

I have a few other music apps like nanostudio and pocket guitar not that I'm any use with them but they make a fun distraction and I can tell nano studio is very capable.

13. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Wow, better than DJay or Sonorasaurus? May have to pick it up; the interface looks good and it looks to be full-featured.

Do you happen to know if there are plans to make it Universal or release an iPad version?

14. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm really not sure there are a lot of clips of Ferry Corsten using it on an ipad on youtube if you haven't already I'd recommend watching them as it's a good demonstration of the features.

15. FictionalCharacter

Feb 18, 2011
    do you guys think it would even be worth it to get noise.io, or should i just head straight for nanostudio?

16. #556 Haruhi, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    I've never tried noise.io, but Nanostudio just feels like a complete package to me. It also gets constant updates from a very active and friendly dev at the Blip Interactive forums. Nanostudio is definitely the best choice if you're looking for a synth-based app.

17. FictionalCharacter

Feb 18, 2011
    nanostudio is pretty comprehensive though, right? not just synth stuff? ideally i'd like one app with an easy interface that i can use for more or less everything and then export to logic/reason. noise.io is limited mostly to electronica stuff?

just seems hard to argue with noise for five bucks as opposed to fifteen.

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nanostudio is a complete DAW in your pocket, noise.io is a monophonic synth.

Both are great, especially if noise.io is still $5...

Unless you're dying for a nifty synth, you'll probably get more bang for the buck out of Nano Studio, it's got a lot to it, is pretty easy to use, and is a bargain for $15 IMHO.

19. FictionalCharacter

Feb 18, 2011
    #559 FictionalCharacter, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    probably going to go ahead and pick up nanostudio tonight. probably no use in spending $5 on noise.io when i should end up getting nanostudio anyway.

edit: anybody know anything about isequence? currently on sale for $3, and it seems to have pretty positive reviews.

20. mrphantuan

mrphantuan New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Any composers in the house need to have a look at Symphony Pro