Warhammer 40K: Storm Of Vengeance

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by grenadedodger, Feb 26, 2014.

1. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Did a search and looked back through 10 pages and couldn't see anything on it so thought I would make a thread. New Warhammer game, looks like Plants Vs Zombies meets the Warhammer universe.

[​IMG]

2. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Great looking forward.

3. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    looks more like Plants Vs Zombies should've never met the Warhammer universe

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
  5. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Looks great, but I don't see how it looks a thing like PvZ. Rather, it looks more similar to the Lane Defense custom game that was popular in StarCraft.

I like the concept of switching resource generating and upgrades during matches, I liked push and pull games like Lane Defense in SC, and having some alternate mechanics would really add to the gameplay.

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Bought into the beta on Steam. It's pretty fun, but needs some tweaking. Definitely going to be one of those games much better on tablet than PC.

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    When is this going to be released, I would love to try it.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It is a lane defence game an it's due on on the 27th of march I'm sure I seen somewhere beta started on the 27th of February I tried to contact them but having trouble. Online it says

The battlefield is divided into five lanes, with defence and attack the objective. While placing and defending your own buildings you must destroy three of your opponent's. The first player to do so wins.

On the Space Marine side, buildings, such as the Comms, generate a resource called Redemption. This is spent on unit cards, which are bought from unit-producing buildings such as the Drop Pod, the Stormraven and the Rhino. Drag the unit card onto a lane and it will deploy, slowly marching toward the enemy, shooting opposing units until eventually firing on the enemy building.

Adding depth to the experience is a leveling and skill tree system. During a battle you can spend resources to upgrade your units, perhaps giving them the useful grenade ability. And you can switch your buildings so they generate a special resource called Resolve instead of Redemption. Resolve is used to play more powerful units, such as the hero unit Belial, and command abilities, such as the last stand command For the Lion.

The Orks work slightly differently. The Ork Camp is used to generate resource, and the Warboss Hut is used to place all units. The Mech Shop lets you create cards that can be combined with others. And there's the Weirdboy Tower, which generates magic powers such as Frazzle. The Orks have units such as the Bomb Squig, which rushes along a lane before blowing up, and the weak but versatile Gretchin, which can shoot across lanes.

The game includes over 50 missions per faction spread out over a campaign set during a 27 day period. The campaign mode is based on the best-selling book Purging of Kadillus by Gav Thorpe.

In single-player, clicking or tapping on a building pauses the action. Outside of single-player there's cross-platform multiplayer, which enables PC, iOS and Android players to play against each other. This is faster paced, as clicking or tapping on a building does not pause the action. Multiplayer battles affect your multiplayer rank and feed into a Risk-style faction war. Every 14 days players earn campaign medals based on how their faction is doing in the wider war.

As mentioned the game includes the Space Marines and the Orks, but Eutechnyx will sell a third faction, the Imperial Guard, on launch day as 69p DLC. It intends to add other factions to the mix post-launch.

On Steam Storm of Vengeance costs £6.99. On iOS and Android it costs £2.99. Eutechnyx told Eurogamer the game does not feature micro-transactions as it is aimed at the core market. "We're not trying to be Candy Crush in space," game designer Kenton Fletcher said.

All copied from a website. Sounds good to me though and happy to hear no micro transactions although the price to buy a new team like the Imperial Guard doesn't put me off as 69p is cheap and if new factions add variety in play and strstegy like on Hero Academy I'd be happy to purchase those.

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Suprised this doesn't have more attention yet.

10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Not much in the way of previews has been released. The beta is live on Steam right now, so hopefully the attention is being paid on smoothing out some of the rough edges.

11. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
  12. batmania15

batmania15 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Release date is April 3rd

13. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yup, looking forward to getting an IOS version. The Steam beta has been fun, but I can't see playing on my PC again once I have the game mobile.

Having played the beta significantly, my advice for new players would be as follows:

For the Dark Angles, get the skill For the Lion! as soon as possible. This is a once per game skill, but it's invaluable, especially in multiplayer.

As Orks, get a Mekshop and then the Trukk. There are other really powerful Ork units and upgrades, but for 2 skill points total, the Trukk offers the most bang for your buck early on.

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Definitely want this, want to hear more about the game from people that have played too

15. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I can offer my experience with the base game up until the Dreadnaught and Stormboyz add-ons. The Imperial Guard never made it to the open beta, nor did Terminators.

Singleplayer: There are two campaigns, one for Dark Angels and one for Orks. Each campaign takes place over 29 days, and each day has 1 to 3 missions, for a total of about 50 or so missions per campaign. These missions range from straight-up battles where both sides build like normal and duke it out, to Skirmish missions that are basically puzzles where rather than build you are given X units and/or other abilities and have to figure out how to beat X enemy units, as well as progressively harder missions that are a hybrid of the first two, build and battle missions that give the player certain handicaps or the AI certain advantages, or both. There are two difficulties, normal starts off fairly easy and gradually get harder, the AI builds about at the same rate as a human player might. Hardcore has an AI that builds and uses units/abilities pretty much instantaneously, not wasting a moment on decision making.

Multiplayer: Multiplayer isn’t much different than singleplayer. In both modes you have to level up to gain skill points, which in turn unlock new buildings, vehicles, units, upgrades, etc. Multiplayer has an additional useable unit for each faction in the special characters. There is a win/loss tracker and if you search for a multiplayer game and can’t find one, you have the option of playing against the AI for experience points.

Factions:
    The Dark Angels have much stronger starting units than the Orks, but tend to reach their apex in strength sooner. You have Comms that generate the basic resource, Redemption. Drop Pods create Tactical Marines, which can be upgraded with additional weapons and abilities, and can attack on their lane and adjacent lanes. Rhinos can shoot down the lane they are in and generate Devastators, who attack on their lane and 2 lanes over. Stormravens have the best attack for the Dark Angels stationary vehicles, and generate Assault Marines who dominate melee combat and can be upgraded to be able to jump lanes. In addition, you can switch any of the troop generating building from generating troops, to generating Resolve, the secondary resource. With Resolve, you can build units like Ravenwing Bikes, Captain Belial, and the Dreadnaught, as well as use other abilities like Stasis Grenade that slows time in a section of the field. Redemption units generate “cards” that you can play in the lane of your choice right away or save for later and send out in a big push with other units, Resolve units have to be played right away and are either one time use per battle or have individual timers to reset.

The Orks are a lot weaker initially than the Dark Angels, but build up over time. A single building generates troops, making Gretchin, Bomb Squigs, Orks, and Ghazghkull Thraka. Another building, Weirdboy Tower, generates their secondary resource and also casts their psychic powers, the more of these towers the stronger the abilities. A third, the Mekshop creates upgrades and Trukks. Unlike Dark Angels, Orks have to manually combine their unit cards with their upgrade cards. The upgrades specialize Orks into melee, range, or defense, and multiple upgrades can be attached. If all four upgrades are put onto an Ork, he spawns as a Nobb, a bigger, much more powerful Ork unit. Rocket Packs are a 5th upgrade that can be thrown on to allow an Ork or Nobb to be spawned anywhere on the map, even the opponents side, however, it comes with a risk of the Ork crashing and blowing up, or simply blowing up.

Overall the game is pretty fast paced and can get pretty hectic. There are numerous builds to play around with for each faction, and I managed to sink 30+ hours into the beta trying different strategies.

16. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

#16 Chaos_u, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    How can I post youtube video here...HAHA..I got it!!1

Gameplay video