Universal Demon's Rise (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I just bought this. Is there any good party formation tips, or is it just better to go with one of the pre-made formations? I usually min/max, but I am a wee bit lost here. There are just a ton of options, and I can't really find a cookie cutter setup.

Help!

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd probably go with something straight forward like 2 fighters, 2 shooting guys, 2 mages. Otherwise, any of the starting teams are well balanced. When the next update arrives, you'll be able to switch your party members for free as often as you like so you can go with anything now and keep switching it up as you get more familiar with the game.

3. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Right on. I'll go with whatever is the first team on the pre-made list and go with that then. Maybe I'll restart, or switch them around once that's possible. Cheers.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... a big update was finally approved by Apple. Hope you enjoy it.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    awesome! time to play a bit :) DR2 and Hydra might be a bit more mature projects from the start, but DR 1 is the most special of the three to me, and what i think of when i read Wavelight. Thank you for your work!

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #1546 stubbieoz, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Gosh I truely hate Apples insistance on not allowing people to somehow have a seperate hard drive that you could run games from in iOS.
    Now I have to decide what to delete to make way for, once again, reinstalling Demons Rise on my already full 125gig iPad Pro.
    Like you ramzarules, Demons 1 also has a special place in my fav games list (maybe it's just having that cool icon on my home screen # ).
    I am really looking forward playing it again with this patch, expecially the ability to swap and change characters freely. #

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks gents.

Next round of updates will include an undo last movement button so you can undo accidental movement actions. Some other tweaks and I may finally have time to fix the spelling and grammar mistakes in all the many text sections.

I agree on Demon's Rise 1 ... it has a certain, immature and straight forward charm that the others lack. It's a classic dungeon crawler and it really doesn't take itself too seriously, which is fun.

8. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, and i will post this here since it is your newest updated game :
    I think you should take the time and try for
    1)camera work: autozoom on interesting "events" and action following
    2)neat looking UI : the Hydra was bounds better than the X's of DR but still needs work for perfection
    3)instant reactive animations and synchronisation in hit-getting hit-evading between two characters

in short, master these X-com secrets that are still evading you
    your next game will be monumental, and i think you can def port it to the strategy loving crowd of PC-Ps4 for more income-exposure.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. Oddly enough I was actually working on those recently.

1 - I'm experimenting with a new camera system they introduced in the latest Unity called Cinemachine that does exactly that. I'm still learning the ropes of it but I'm hoping it can be used to make awesome close up, action shots for future games. If it's not too hard to back-port, I may even put it back into the existing games.

2 - Working on the new UI for the next fantasy RPG ... which is going to be called "Shieldwall Chronicles". It's based off the Hydra UI but with some improvements. Hopefully it hit's the spot.

3 - The animation timing I fixed recently. It will be in the next update for Strike Team Hydra. Shieldwall Chronicles also features parry / dodge animations that are played when an enemy attack misses, which is turning out to be very cool.

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    fantastic, i look forward to the updated systems and Shieldwall :)

11. Impz

Impz New Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Just bought this game when its on sale on google play and have to say that this game is really good. Created an account to compliment the good job for the developer.It is a relatively strategic turn based strategy ( i play normal because i dont like too much of a challenge) and will greedily look forward to the sequel being on sale...and then buying it. :)

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... glad you like it. Demon's Rise 2 is on sale now actually for both IOS and Android. :)

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
  14. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #1554 Verse, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    I'm playing through this right now, and the one thing I'm thoroughly annoyed about, is that the camera zoom level resets at the end of every turn. I think the default view is annoying, so I zoom in a little every turn, and I have to do that over and over and over and over and over. It gets annoying after a while.

Is that fixable somehow?

Oh, and a followup question. I find myself wondering about the design decision to make it so that the loot that you get a chance to collect at the end of a level has to be moved into the inventory of a character, and then you have to back out of the questing you're doing in order to visit the merchant and sell it there. That takes you out of the gameplay for no real reason. Wouldn't it be preferable if anything you left on the left side untouched would just be instant sold to a merchant behind the scenes?

You really gain nothing by having it the way it is. And loading is not super fast. It takes a while to return to camp, visit merchant, select buy, sell the things. Accept the trade. Move back out. Quest. Select level.

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada

Sorry for the late reply. The camera not moving back to your previous zoom value is a bug. Will fix in yhe next patch. It is supposed to zoom out in enemy turns to give a better view of enemy activity and then return to the value you had before.

For the items, I could have them automatically convert to gold. However, wouldn't you need to visit the shop anyway to use that gold? I'm not sure it would really save much time for the player.

16. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    You'd definitely still need to visit the shop to get better items, but there would be no need to sell everything, every time. And it's not like you get enough gold out of every item to buy something needed for the party.

Plus the majority of the items I seem to get don't have stats, and are essentially useless junk. So having to manage it, just seems pointless. I'd much rather just be able to go on with the questing, and return to the shop when I had collected enough gold to make a difference.

To me it just seems pointless to have to click on an item, then move it to the inventory slot of a random character, and then have to sell it manually. All gold is collected at every stage end anyway, so there is some automation going on already, and this just seems like a logical step to me.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds good. I'll add to the list of things to do. It may not make the next patch but should be the one after.

The next patch is almost done and contains a lot of UI improvements. Completely new camera controls that are way better than the previous ones. Also some other great quality of life improvements like a confirm end turn button, undo accidental movements and several big bug fixes. I finally tracked down the pesky bug where you would randomly lose control of one of your characters. Also fixed a bug that would cause a game freeze to happen sometimes when casting a projectile spell on a position that included the caster in the area of effect.

18. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Fantastic. Just 2 more things if I may. Would it make sense if instead of having to move up to a spot and then press attack on the hostile npc, you could make it so that just double clicking on a hostile npc would mean you would move into attack range?

It's not so hard to judge the distance needed with melee characters, but I find that I have trouble gauging how far I need to be with half my team (1 archer, and 2 spell casters). I never know how far to move to be in range, and having to stutter step and check if I can attack is a bit annoying actually.

That's why it would make more sense if you could just press the creature you intended to attack, and it would just move into range automatically (though make doubly sure there is a confirmation on this I guess, so you aren't left exposed unnecessarily).

Also, if at all possible, would it be possible to add something like a feature that could tell you the max range of your attacks in squares? So I'd be able to judge if I could attack from cover, or if I needed to move to an open spot in order to make it.

The other thing, is that, I noticed that going on patrol seems to have no actual tracking involved of how far you got. You can just skip over any number and go right to the last one you unlocked by way of questing. And once you've completed a patrol map, it isn't crossed over like the quest maps, so you have to remember where you got to in terms of difficulty.

I have quite a few other small requests and such, but I don't want to hammer you. Hopefully the above mentioned isn't too much all at once :)

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The next update is in Apple's review process. Here is a change log:

- Fixed bug where camera zoom level would not return to player-defined position at start of player turn.
    - Added a button to allow players to undo a movement (provided they have not attacked or performed an ability from the new position)
    - Added a confirm end turn button to prevent accidental end turn button presses.
    - Significantly improved camera touchscreen controls.
    - Rotate touch controls changed to a 2-finger rotate instead of a 2-finger pan gesture.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That would be quite hard and it would involve the computer determining which adjacent tile you intended to attack from. Since that can have a big impact on the battle, I'd prefer to leave that to the player's discretion.

Attack range is kind of visible because when you click on a character or a tile they wish to move to, any enemies that are within attack range are highlighted in a red hex. So I think it's pretty easy to click a tile and see if it will put you in range of your character's attack by using that info.

It would be good to have the ability to show the enemy's movement range and attack range when you click on them or something. I'll look into something like that and see how I could incorporate it.

Thanks for feedback. I do intend to add a star or something to a completed patrol mission like I have in Strike Team Hydra. I just haven't had the time to do it yet.