How will the iPhone 5 change the industry?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Moofelt, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Moofelt

Moofelt Member

Jul 16, 2012
    #1 Moofelt, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    I did a search for "iPhone 5" in the developers area but I couldn't find anything on the subject so I thought I'd ask, how is Apples new phone going to change the arena?

(First post virginity lost btw ;P Haha! Awesome friggen forum!)

I am on my first project and am only about 4-5 weeks old in this industry :p so basically I don't know wtf is going on and need to know if developing a game for the iPhone as is and releasing around Oct/Nov/Dec is a good idea knowing that there have been rumors that the iPhone 5 will be coming out around then. Are these rumors even true? Did it matter when iPhone 4 came out and all games were made for the 3 - with all the resolution changes and mumbo jumbo like that...???

2. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    How would anyone know? It hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't think too much about it. Just work on your app and release it when it's done. An app that runs on a current gen iPhone will most probably run fine on an iPhone 5. That has always been the case and anything else wouldn't make sense.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Just be prepared for the Retina2 screen with 4x the pixels of the current Retina Display.

Just kidding. Like the above poster said - probably only a select few in the world know what the iPhone 5 will be like.

4. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

Use vector graphics to be prepared for any possible change. Best to put in the effort correct the first time, instead of playing catch up and remaking stuff. The most recent change was in July with the iTunes icons needing to be the size of 1024x1024 (previously 512x512) to support the new iPad. If you were making a iPhone only game, you would need retina screenshots as well. The 3GS is still hanging in there, and just a matter of time until the next iOS update won't be compatible with it.

Be smart how you design your UI too, should be flexible enough for you to accommodate any potential resolution changes.

Also, develop for the retina 4S, but make sure it works just as well on 3GS.