iPad Dungeoned (by Redshift)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jyhjyh, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    #1 jyhjyh, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    Looks very interesting :)

From the creators of THE QUEST:

Dungeoned is a funny little dungeon crawler game with some action, puzzle and role playing elements. From level to level, through various dungeons and other places, you must find and activate the exit which leads to the next level.

Each dungeon needs a certain number of gold coins to reveal its exit. But beware: monsters, traps, logical puzzles and even an enemy with the same goal as yours will stand in your way.

You must get as much gold as you can and find the exit before the enemy does. With the remaining gold you can buy better weapons, armor, spells or potions in the shop which will always await you after you have completed a dungeon.

Dungeoned is OpenFeint enabled.
    ----

Dungeoned

Redshift
    From the creators of The Quest: Dungeoned is a funny little dungeon crawler game with some action, puzzle and role play…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    From the creators of The Quest: Dungeoned is a funny little dungeon crawler game with some action, puzzle and role playing elements. From level to level, through various dungeons and other places, you must find and activate the exit which leads to the next level. Each dungeon needs a certain number of gold coins to reveal its exit. But beware: monsters, traps, logical puzzles and even an enemy with the same goal as yours will stand in your way. You must get as much gold as you can and find the exit before the enemy does. With the remaining gold you can buy better weapons, armor, spells or potions in the shop which will always await you after you have completed a dungeon. Gameplay video: youtube.com/users/RedshiftHU
    Information
    Seller:Redshift
    Genre:Arcade, Role Playing
    Release:Mar 01, 2010
    Updated:Feb 05, 2024
    Version:1.15
    Size:13.6 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Interesting. By The Quest dudes, only they're publishing it themselves this time (good!). The video was interesting but seemed to switch screens at points that might have otherwise explained what was going on at the time. Still not sure about it though. It's cheap enough, just don't know if it's worth hunting for something to delete to make some space, so I'll wait for impressions.

3. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Looks like a pretty cool diversion, need someone to TOFTT first though.

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #5 Ravenblack, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    Played some. Dungeoned seems to be a very retro exit dungeon puzzle. (It is one of their old games) The puzzle elements seem pretty basic (moving boulders onto switches, getting keys for gates, avoiding or destroying monsters and things like that) but I've only played about 12 levels. It does get hard in levels where you have to race against AI warriors for the coins, and you can fail the level if you are too slow. You've got to collect a certain amount of coins per level to exit. Controls are alright (virtual dpad and onscreen buttons), if you are used to the current speed of movement in most current games, this one may seem a little slow. Not as great as I had expected, but for 99c, I like it enough. :)

(It's kinda like Dark Raider, I suppose.)

5. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    For what I played (not much yet) the price is fair. A cute dungeon crawler.

6. raumich

raumich Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Germany
    "Not as great as I had expected, but for 99c, I like it enough." was exactly what I thought!

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I finished the PocketPC version of this game when it came out, and I really enjoyed it. Dungeoned was a nice change of pace from their more in-depth RPG offerings. I hope this does well for them and encourages them to develop the standalone version of their Quest card game.

8. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for the nice review! :)

I think it's completely fair.

About the potential improvements:

1: We know it's not the fastest paced, but even the longest levels are no longer than a few minutes (unless you play on hard and try to conserve gold :)). Also I think it would be a bit problematic for the leaderboard. Anyone who would try to get the fastest times would need to use the speedup all the time.

Of course that may not be that bad. :) We'll think about it.

2: I've included a small warning in the next update. (Submitted to Apple.)

3: We'll think about it. But you can listen to your own music in the background, if it's any consolation. :)

4: Multiplayer is certainly an interesting idea, we thought about it, but at this point we don't think we'll implement it. Dungeoned is just a nice little single player game. :)

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with Elendil - nice review! Multiplayer could be interesting, but you'd really need a whole new set of levels, because I don't think there are currently enough levels to support such a feature, and a lot of the single player levels I don't think would be very balanced for multiplayer. I'm surprised you don't find the two player levels very compelling, though. Personally I find the addition of the need to beat out the second player quite an incentive to try and figure out the best way through a maze.

10. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks!

As for the fast-forward problem, couldn't you have the recorded time go twice as fast also? Then it really wouldn't affect the leaderboards.

You can save multiplayer for Dungeoned 2 I guess...

11. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I agree, some music during the levels would help a lot. Some music from The Quest like you put in the trailer would be fun for the fans, but could look a bit cheap to some. It would still be better than nothing :p

Also found a bug. When you go back to replay a level, your gold window in the shop only counts the coins from levels previous to the the one you are playing on, and not all the levels you have beaten. For example, I'm on level 15 or so and have 35 gold. When I go back to replay level 5, I have 2 gold. And when I go back to level 15 I have 35 gold again.

12. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    We are looking into the music. :)

That's not a bug. You are going through the game linearly, one level at a time. You can go back and replay a level to try to get a better time or more gold, but you have to work with what you have collected up till then.

If you could use all the gold you collected on all levels on any level, you would have an unfair advantage. :)

13. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    One more thing: If you could leave an honest review in the App Store (just what you wrote in your review, only shorter :), we would be thankful. :D

14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Alright, I'll try to get it up sometime soon.

15. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    #17 RagManX, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Oops. Replied to wrong message.

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    there's now a Lite to try:

Dungeoned Lite

Dungeoned is a funny little dungeon crawler game with some action, puzzle and r…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

Dungeoned is a funny little dungeon crawler game with some action, puzzle and role playing elements. From level to level, through various dungeons and other places, you must find and activate the exit which leads to the next level.

Each dungeon needs a certain number of gold coins to reveal its exit. But beware: monsters, traps, logical puzzles and even an enemy with the same goal as yours will stand in your way.

You must get as much gold as you can and find the exit before the enemy does. With the remaining gold you can buy better weapons, armor, spells or potions in the shop which will always await you after you have completed a dungeon.

The Lite version contains the first 10 levels.

Gameplay video: youtube.com/users/RedshiftHU
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Arcade, Role Playing
    Release:Mar 11, 2010
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Now FREE! :D

18. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    For a day. :)

It has been selected as the featured game for OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day promotion for November 10.

Enjoy!