Karateka $2.99 -> $0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by nightc1, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Wow, that was fun! Never solved a game so fast, seemed like 40 minutes. Boy, it is easy with 3 lives plus constant flower refills. They should have a hard difficulty with no flower health regeneration.

Night, on my new ipad there was absolutely no lag or crashes and framerates were rock solid. Have to wonder how it looks like on the ipad 4.

Great game to play through and reload and play again maybe once a month. Looked so wonderful on my hdmi tv with really great 3d graphics. Great story, but poor ending.

Great fun though, wish there was a hard difficulty, but man, was a blast for a short time. Still recommend it highly, especially for a buck.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    A free higher difficulty game mode that you can play right now:

Let the first enemy whack you down to one triangle. Now play through the game without getting hit again and without using the flowers.

Imagine the realism, where these enemy kungfu masters can kill in a blow and every punch and parry counts.

3. King hAPPy

King hAPPy Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Terrible game, broken beyond repair, just an awful simple rhythm game, that's out of rhythm, I just hate it, better if they ported some old 90s game, then we would of known what we're getting, it feels like it belongs in an old dirty 90s arcade at the back of a takeout shop, only everyone would be playing mortal kombat and anyone caught putting a coin in this karateka machine, would get beat down and a wedgie. Absolute rubbish , the developers trying to relive his glory days, but epic fail, he is an example of gamer mid life crisis.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That's cool to hear. I intend on getting an iPad at some point, and will probably upgrade early next year to whatever the current iPhone is.

As for a Hard difficulty... the built in hard difficulty is finishing with one life. IF you need it harder do so without taking any flowers (there's an achievement for that too). I think overall the game boils down to managing your health. A few slip ups as the True Love and you may not get enough flower power to regenerate enough to survive if the next guy lands a few hits. I don't think it's too easy... just it lets people of little skill even make it to the end (just not the best ending).

My main beef with it are the bugs that can crash the game beyond repair, bloated coding for what is essentially a fairly simple game, and related to the coding I suspect is the input timing issues that seem to creep up for me on my 4S. As long as I pay attention to the enemies attack and time defensive moves to those attacks I'm golden, but if I try to mimic the warning pattern beats then I'm more likely to fail.

It's really close to being a good game ... it just needs some work by some talented coders to optimize it better for iOS.

5. #65 Connector, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Night,

Yeah, it is a game in that it does let a beginner end the game, and that is good. Just wish they had 3 difficulty settings, it would be easy to do, have a medium setting be no flowers. Have hard be no flowers one life. Have 3 separate leaderboads on gamecenter. This all could be implented with almost no coding changes. The game might be bloated but all the backgrounds are 3d and different, so I am sure that is taking a lot of filesize.

I do think they should put a disclaimer on itunes saying they recommend newer devices, cause it uses so much graphics processing. I think my ipad 3 gets helped out by the 4 core gpu cause the graphics are non retina. So in this rare case, an ipad 3 will far outperform an ipad 2 and mini. Now you got me curious on how it runs on the other ipads. If anyone has an ipad 4 or mini, let us know.

Honestly, hate to say it cause I am a fan if Dead Trigger, but this game is somewhat like a good tech demo, especially when I play it on console tv dmi. So my experience maybe different from others playing on older iphones. Playing this game on a 40 inch screen with no lag or crashes, must be a lot different, this game to me felt like an arcade game of old, I might play in a arcade.

Good to hear you might get an ipad. Since you seem like such a hardcore ios gamer, I think it would be a must. At that time, you can reload this game, and hook it up to your tv, and have a blast. Of course only for 30-40 minutes though, haha.

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ha@30to40min. That was good.

I can already hook it up to my tv through my Apple TV with AirPlay since I'm on a 4S. I think I can get an HDMI cable to... infact I may order one today if there are any on Newegg. I have some computer purchases to make anyway.

7. Well, in all seriousness now, most people can't last as long as that in bed, and some may pay from $200-$1000 for that experience, so really, Karateka is a good value for a buck, so that is good. Haha :p

I don't want to hijack this thread too much about hdmi, mirroring, airplay, or apple tv, so can you answer a couple of my questions in the hdmi thread? Here is a link. Thanks!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2621329#post2621329