Any fighting game in the boxes ?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by c0re, Apr 22, 2009.

1. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #1 c0re, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    Hello there,

I'm currently developping a fighting game for iPhone, based on the traditional mechanics from Street Fighter, Fatal Fury and co. It's just the base reference here, there will be much more original mechanics.

Well the point of this thread is that I'm really surprised not to find any other SF2-like 2D (or 3D on 2D) fighting game development on any iPhone forum I'm browsing, since monthes ... Especially when we are used to see numerous clones of brand existing licenses popping out regularly.

Fighting games are one of the core values in videogames, so I was expecting to see at least one or two serious projects in this domain, especially in this constantly booming market that is the appStore. :confused:

Not that I need some kind of challenge or else, but it's always better for the overall gaming market quality to have several products in one genre. Isn't it ? :(

So are there any fighting game currently in dev for iPhone ?

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    A lot of people are afraid of making fighting games cause they aren't sure of how to go about making the controls.

Some devs are caught up "maximizing the potential of the iPhone" meaning they want to stick to simple tilt/ swipe mechanics, ending in gimmick games. They won't entertain duplicating any part of a traditional control scheme (e.g. On paper twin control wheels seemed like they wouldn't work for action games. It took Paradise, iDracula and 7 Days to show it actuallt was a great scheme).

On the other hand you have the problem of where are you going to place all those virtual buttons and movement control on the screen.

Here you're gonna need to balance out the flow of the game, and playtest a rudimentary version o the game with different control schemes with players to see if they actually like it. It's one of many seriously neglected genres in the Appstore, and whoever gets it right is going to clean up.

3. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #3 c0re, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    well, that's one exceptional response here, thank you :)

However, I read a bit (mainly here) about those controls problems, and am still surprised to see real genius ideas for controls in other game genres, but not for this core one.

Actually I'm using 2 keypoints for my game :
    - a few buttons, but using multitouch to allow combinations between them
    - customizable button positions

I believe it's not the best interface, but after some tests, it still works for me : I can chain different moves at an average speed without messing up, which is one good point as I have big round fingers :rolleyes:
    (see attachment)

Although, every fighting game doesn't need tons of buttons like SF2 I guess.
    That's what led me to be fairly surprised with this lack of representation :(

edit : another point is that every action game (Sparta, iDracula, etc) got at least 3 action buttons, a lifebar and a crosspad. Which is not so few for a fight game, is it ?

Attached Files:

4. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    wow that pic looks awesome. if you added some more features to the game and obviously made them look like proper characters.aswell as putting it at a decent price then i would buy this game.it would be a steal at 59p but i think u could get away with the £1.25or whatever it is.(dunno what it is in america)

5. bojack13

bojack13 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I'm 99% sure there aren't any traditional fighting games on the iPhone. It's great to hear that you're working on one and I hope it works out. Any plans on making it playable online?

6. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Why doesn't someone make a real Kung fu theme game like the old 70's flicks with the hero and the villian like the ghost faced killer or the master of the flying guillotine. Put in all the old sound like the kicks blocks and slaps just like the movies. Maybe even a story line. I would pay almost anything for something like that done right. I know I'm not alone on this one.

7. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    the ONLY fighting game on the iPlatform is Funky Punch, which completely and totally sucked.

I would love to see a good fighting game on the platform, go for it man, i don't mind buttons if they work.

although, while we are discussing control schemes, why not implement some sort of directional swipe to strike mechanism? would that be really hard?

8. yomachaser

yomachaser Member

Feb 5, 2009
    The closest thing to a normal fighter on iphone would be Ironfist Boxing. The 2.0 upgrade has supers, slow motion combos and a nice combo system.

9. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #9 c0re, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Don't worry, I'm gonna make it very, very, I mean very polished. My whole year spare time is on it.

I can't tease yet about all the features, because expectations would grow too much stronger, but yes, there will of course be online multiplayer (bluetooth too).

Thank you for your enthousiasm :)

To be back on topic, I read somewhere here that Capcom was making a SF2 port on iPhone, is it true ?

10. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
  11. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #11 c0re, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Cool april fool you linked here :p
    More seriously, all the vanilla 2D fighting games like MK on 32 bits would be so easy to port, I hope they will :)