Do you download 20mb+ games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Luke Kellett, Sep 22, 2011.

?

I will download 20mb+ games...

1. If I can find wifi immediately

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. When I get home

42 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Only if I have wifi access right now

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. 20mb+ is too big and I dont want to waste space

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    So some of the iPhone developers were discussing game size limits and how many people would download a game that is over the 20mb 3G download limit.

I thought it would be interesting to ask YOU as an iPhone gamer what your thoughts are on this via a poll?

2. thehype

thehype Member

Nov 10, 2010
    my iphone4 is jailbroken with 3g unrestrictor!

If there is a game I wanna play imediately i download it over 3g even if its over 20mb!

But most of the great / rich content games have over 20mb, so I think anybody would download then!

The only thing that pisses me off is that there's no possibility do download small updates!

e.g. if you have 1gb left on your device and want an update for, let's say, Real Racing 2 then you must delete something to get it!

Why aren't updates for the common files only?

Does this come with ios5, too?

3. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I understand why we have the cap on downloads (even though iTunes and apps can fetch significantly more), but it's frustrating to hear about something while you're on 3G and can't grab it right away. If they don't raise the cap, it would be nice to be able to buy now and download later, or put it into a queue so we don't forget!

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Umm I use Wifi and I actually downloaded lots of over 200mb games by Wifi straight from my device...

5. thehype

thehype Member

Nov 10, 2010
    +1

I think it should be up to me, what i do with my traffic!
    If I watch thousands of youtube vids one after the other on the go, the traffic will be the same!

when it's used, it's my problem!!!

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #6 drelbs, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Missing option:

YES.

For some reason, I find myself downloading apps almost entirely through iTunes...

But at work, I have Wifi (though it's faster across the street. ;)) At home, I have Wifi. It's pretty rare that I download anything over 3G.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    As the owner of an iPod Touch 2G, I have to use WiFi no matter what the size of the file is. I've downloaded plenty of games over the 20 MB limit.

However, I only have 8 GB so I DO use size in my judgement of whether I want to get a game. If it's a graphically intensive, console-style game that I really want, I don't care as much about size. Usually once I'm done with the story, I delete it and get my space back for the next big thing.

But if it's a casual game that I'm only going to play for small periods of time, I'm a bit harsher in my judgement. I think some developers don't think about game size. When a game like Cut the Rope is under the 20 MB cap, but another casual game like Spy Mouse is almost 200 MB, I have a problem with that.

I got Spy Mouse and did enjoy it, but I've since deleted it, primarily because it wasn't SO great that I wanted it to fill up the space that I could have as many as 10 games in its place. It was well polished, but so are many other casual games taking up 1/10 of the space.

So yes, I do download games over 20 mb. But developers shouldn't take for granted the size of the games they make. It does make a difference to some people who couldn't afford a 32 or 64 GB model.

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#8 Der-Kleine, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    I have an iPod Touch 4 64 GB, wich means:

1. I have to download everything via Wifi (no problem with that)
    2. I couldn't care less about how big a game is, as long as it isn't alot bigger than a GB.

Btw, I pretty much always download apps right on my device, syncing stuff with iTunes is so slowwwwwwwwwww.

9. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I actively avoid the ~20MB games without a ton of feedback showing it doesn't hurt anything precisely because I find it beyond mega-quintuple-asinine that anybody makes a reduction in quality of their game just so people who can't be arsed to wait until they pass yet another McDs or Starbucks will buy your game. You're actively screwing over the 95% of your audience who would rather wait until they get home and have proper textures and sound files to appeal to that 5% of your audience who are so attention deficited that if they can't buy your $0.99 app right-friggin-NOW, they just won't bother.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While there surely are those people who won't buy it because of laziness, there is a group of people who also do care about file size. There are countless games that I find to be quite beautiful graphically even with the 20 MB limit. Sometimes I think it's developer laziness that results in bloated code that results in a huge file size that's unnecessary. I'm not saying that a developer should compromise quality. It's just that when I see the same quality of graphics in smaller files, I sometimes wonder why. There may be valid reasons for doing so.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I don't think I know anyone without an internet connection in their house, I'm sure almost everyone does, or at least almost everyone who can afford an iPhone does. So I really don't understand the benefit of restricting file size to 20mb (well other than to save storage space on the iPhone), just wait till you get home and connected to your wifi to download the app.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I always download my games through iTunes, so size really isn't a problem for me.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I've got WiFi in all the places I frequent, so I wasn't even aware of a limit on 3G downloads until very recently...

14. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Awesome feedback, turns out most people do wifi anyays :)

Yep, I've read this is coming in iOS 5. Kinda reminds me of the Doom days when to get to v1.9 you had to patch up from lower versions. But in terms of mobile games, I think it's a great idea and don't know why it's taken so long to do it :)

Amen to that! With the wireless syncing of iTunes now, you wouldn't even have to connect your device to your computer. You would just automatically have it download when you got home or to wifi!

15. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Personally, I only have an iPad 1 without the 3G so I can only download things over Wifi so I have never thought about it.

At my studio, we had this very debate. Interesting to see responses simliar to what I do personally

16. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    yea, I have an ipod so it's either computer or wifi. idc about the 20 mb limit, just as long as it has a reasonable file size for the game

17. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    I've downloaded probably 300+ games I don't think even 1 was over 3G. It's mainly down to the fact that I'm at work or home reading about new games on TA or Appspy and usually have wifi access when I'm in the downloading mood :)

18. 1bitgamer

1bitgamer Active Member

Oct 29, 2011
    sometimes i do. wish i could download 20mb without wifi.

19. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hopefully they lift the limit to 25-30mb, it's bound to happen sooner or later :)

20. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I think with the easy accessibility to WiFi nowadays, it isn't that big of a deal to download games over 20mb. I haven't downloaded a game on my computer in almost a year.