Universal Funky Smugglers - (by 11 bit studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Just hope there's a decent sense of progression here without IAPs!!!

2. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Score chasing....I'm sure no one on TA suffers from that malady.....;)

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Sounds like pay to win with 10k needed for that 10x multiplier. Sad, but more reflective of the nature of the app store these days than the devs' intentions. The absolute counter to this is Polara. In an ideal world Polara would do better.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ha...

just earned 300 coins after scoring 494,928

pretty sure it doesn't depend on score, but more on how many people you've cleared.

Damn.

5. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Cool......I mean not cool!
    Had to restore my Itouch yesterday via iTunes
    I was having an annoying pop up for a sandbox environment account because I DL two beta ad hoc games into my device that had a test update addressing the I touch 4g crashes
    The developers are well known and trusted so no problem there
    I think it was IOS6 that recognized the slightly different apps there and assumed I was a jail broken device so it continuously sent me this incredibly annoying pop up!
    The only solution was to delete everything and restore to factory settings
    The good news is it worked, no more pop ups!
    The point I'm trying to make after my lengthy long winded post is I redownloaded Funky Smugglers and after reading your post I'm wondering about the fun factor vs time/coin acquisition?
    Another fun fact: yesterday in SMAMC I finally for the first time bought the oriental express mode plus power ups dog and cat...I was pumped to get a great score and instead it was a terrible flop
    What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    This really is quite a good game. I was a little leery at first because it seemed like it would be very repetitive. I was really suprised with it. It is a great time killer.

7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

In case anyone finds it useful, here's a few tips I've picked up along the way.

1) To get the biggest scores, you need to master what the game calls "tossing". Essentially this is just throwing the items you hold and re-catching them. What this does is reset the countdown timer allowing you to increase your combos.
    2) In combination with the above try to get perfect rounds. This means collecting every red item in 1 long combo chain. You get bonus points for a perfect round - for example a perfect 1st round will net you about 2k points.
    3) The biggest combo I've ever got is about 110. The game says at 100 that this is the ultimate combo or something like that and the score is appropriately huge. You can only achieve this is certain rounds due to the number of people and items that have to be collected. It is easily the biggest scoring mechanism there is. Do this with the 10x multiplyer active and you'll be in the top 20 on Gamecenter. (I'm currently 14th without getting 100 - I think my best combo in that game was 80ish)
    4) To earn the most coins, try to complete as many goals as possible during your game. I'm pretty certain these are the biggest earners and there are bonuses for completing multiple goals. I'm not sure, but there might also be bonuses for completing goals in higher rounds.
    5) Buy the upgrade that increases how long you can hold onto items. It means you have to do less tossing to complete large combos. The 1st 2 are relatively cheap and these will help a lot in building 100+ combos.
    6) The people move in patterns or groups of say 10. Positions of green/red items can change, but there are a limited number of these variations. If you memorise the patterns you should have an easier time building combos.
    7) Powerups can be negative, especially in rounds 8+. The speed rush pickup in particular becomes near impossible about round 9, so just avoid it. I also find the slow down pickup to hamper my rthym and this causes me to hit a green item. Again, just avoid them.
    8) Join the tema battle as there are bonus coins for each time you play. Also if your side wins it says you'll earn over 1000 coins.

8. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the great tips!!!
    Really like this game!

9. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=159842][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159830][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159833][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159850][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=159843][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159867][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159819][​IMG][/thread] [thread=159832][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]FUNKY SMUGGLERS[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    10/10/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to keep the airport safe from hammers, scissors, and other illegal goods?

[size=+3][thread=159932]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    10-17-2012 at 06:28 PM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

10. 11bitstudios

11bitstudios Well-Known Member

Hi,

For some reason, I voted for the article giving it 5 stars and did the same when voting for game of the week.

That was stupid. Blame me. I should think before going into click action.

Meanwhile, let me read the topic and clear the issues, altough the post by nizy is verrrrrrry helpful.
    thx

11. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    How does this compare to Airport Scanner?

I kind of like that game is this the same or better?

12. 11bitstudios

Hi,
    I can't judge which one is better. I believe both are pretty cool.
    Our game is rather humorous arcade fun, not relating to real airport scanner at all, except the fact that you use x-ray to detect wacky contraband.
    Check the video:
    gameplay trailer
    thx

13. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I cannot figure out how to clear the toss 20 items mission. Ive tried everything and the blue progress bar on it wont budge.

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It isn't explained in game, only in the help text from what I remember.

All it is is taking your finger off, letting go of what you're holding and grabbing it again. Resets your timer and is very useful.

15. 11bitstudios

Yep. You need to quickly tap the item or items combo again once holding and you'll reset the time ring. We called it "tossing" (a bit unclearly...)
    thx

16. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    So guys, whats your highscores? I've reached max plane 13 (wht abt you)? Is there a plane limit?

Btw, I got 1.1mil, but using the 10x booster! :)

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I quit playing after the first 4 days. Felt like a complete waste of time.

18. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Do you agree that this game, while slightly innovative, is too shallow in terms of gameplay? I'm already feeling so after an hour of playing it. Maybe a 3 or 3.5/ for me to be frank.

19. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Wow, you went from "enjoying the game immensely" to "a complete waste of time" within 4 days?:eek:

Really glad the IAP system scared me off...;)

DBC

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, I really did.

At first, it was a blast... but then the IAP system wore me down... upgrades are way too expensive, and every time I played I felt like I was just grinding/going through the motions just so that I could slowly gain currency for that one game out of 50 where I'd actually have to pay attention, and get as far as I could.

=o/