Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
THUNDERBOLTS AND LIGHTNING, VERY VERY FRIGHTENING!!!
Galileo Figaro Magnifico!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingman View Post
I was looking at the top charts this morning and this is what I found flappy related:

In the Overall Top 100 Free Apps there are currently 8 flappy bird clones, 4 of which take the Top 4 spots.

In the Top Paid 100 Apps there are 2 flappy bird clones.

Needless to say all of these games are making a lot of money right now.

That's absolutely insane considering how many apps are in the app store. I believe that we're only going to see more of this flappy bird mania, as even though the media coverage is starting to die down, the apps keep coming and people keep downloading. I think this goes to show a few things though:

1. The general app buyer audience wants simplicity. A lot of us gamers want polished, well thought out products, but the majority of app downloaders want simple little time wasters. I'm debating that apps produced in 1 week or less is what people want. If it doesn't take much thought to make then it doesn't take much thought to play. Now anyone that considers themselves a gamer is probably going to disagree with this because you don't think like the average app consumer. This is troubling for those of us that want to make what we consider to be great games.

2. People follow trends: it's human nature. If this wasn't true why are there so many Minecraft clones flooding the app store? And you know what? Almost all of them are performing well.

3. It seems like a developer should just study trends to succeed in this market. Yes it can definitely be done without studying trends: look at Threes! Awesome Game! But, that's the rare exception.

I personally don't hate flappy bird. I was sitting in the airport a few weeks ago and downloaded the game and played it a bit and found it fun. I'm just posting this because it brings up a lot of concerns and made me think about this industry as a whole.

I personally think that viewers of sites like TouchArcade might be more interested in creative and interesting games, or games that have had much more effort and polish put into them. But the average app consumer probably does not visit Touch Arcade or app sites in general. The average app consumer is probably 12-18 years old and follows the trends set from their friends and only downloads what they see on the charts, with the occasional search of their favorite minecraft, angry birds, or super mario. This is just my thoughts but I'm gonna do more digging into this. I find this Flappy Bird phenomenon fascinating.
Spashy Fish, which may be the closest Flappy Bird clone, is dead simple to learn and fast to play.

Tap to make your fish float up. Avoid pipes.

Each game is over in seconds. Faster than it took you to read this post...