Cloned game - "Operation wow" vs "Wow Operation"

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ivanovich, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

2. Arty Tales

Arty Tales Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    EU
    WOW - Operation was released in July 2012 and you only noticed it now?

Good luck with dealing with Apple. They will send the other developer an email (and frequent reminders) but in most cases refuse to themselves arbitrate anything. They will then send regular reminders but unless you yourself take legal action against the developer, they won't do much more.

3. ivanovich

Yes! Lot of months in the AppStore and we have detected it now :(

4. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    "Wanaka Mobile is a San Francisco based game company that specializes in premier game publishing."

its likely they may just be publishing for a third party have you contacted them direct, wanaka may simply have no idea its copied

5. ivanovich

Yes, I emailed them today. But... sincerely, It's hard to believe for me that they know nothing about Operation wow.

6. Freespirit

Freespirit Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I thought the same as threecubes, there are over 80 apps on their website. This is really shocking and Apple needs to crack down on this quickly. There was another story like this on here. Can't believe people are taking all our hard work and getting a free ride.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well this sucks.. big time..

but then i take a look at both your websites and both of you have no proper imprint and no proper way to contact you legally (since you are in spain you are actually legally obliged todo so.. you can actually get a serve notice for a missing imprint/contact information on your business website within the eu (that can cost easily 4digits figure)

if youre doing a whois on the website you end up with better contact infos

so instead of using a wonky email form on a website who prolly ends in a mail trashcan somewhere in the digital world of ours.. it would be prolly the quicker solution to just call..

and ivan get yourself an proper imprint. legal regulations go both ways.

good luck to get this sorted

8. ivanovich

9. Arty Tales

Arty Tales Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    EU
    What EU rule are you referring to exactly? It may be the case in Germany, but it certainly is not the case in all the 27 EU States. Besides, if one is registered as a sole trader (or that country's equivalent), + given that what one is earning from sales is actually royalties from Apple rather than earnings in the traditional sense, one is not bound by the same rules as for other business types. Of course, this again varies depending on where you...

10. Devcade

Devcade Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes, the graphics from the two apps look the same.

Did you create these graphics yourself, or did you buy/acquire them from a 3rd party? People do sell
    code and graphics for entire apps, so it is possible that two games can look and play the same way.
    But, you haven't provided us with much detail about that.

11. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Earlier this year I found a game that swiped music and audio fx from one of my games. I contacted Apple via this form: http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/appstorenotices/ From there, Apple sends an email CC'ing both devs in hopes they can work it out. Problem is the other dev never replied. A week later I told Apple I didn't get a reply and Apple sent a second email. No reply. Same deal week 3 and 4, after that Apple finally pulled the app at my request.

So, just keep bugging Apple ;)

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i know you have a contact button.. but thats like a bell on a door without a name ,on a house without a number and on a street without a name ;)

as for eu regulations look for 98/48/EG and corresponding. of course your countrys implementation can vary but somehow i doubt the spanish law differs much from the german variation in this case, but since i cant read spanish i cant proove or disproove.