using admob to make lite version full+ads

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by vbovio, Oct 1, 2009.

1. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    question for devs:

have any of you tried to make your lite version of your game full + ads ??, if so, can you share your experiences ?

thanks.

2. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore

Well I ran the numbers last week and it seemed like I would make 1/2 as much per month.

Any how the numbers are roughly like.

1000 Ad impressions = 1$ earnings

so to make 100$ a month you need 100,000 ad impressions.

Do you have metrics on how many people a day play your game now?

Or run your lite version as is?

3. ziggyeye

ziggyeye Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    My app is not a game but it has 300,000 impressions a day and makes about $50 a day.
    It all varies depending on the CTR and stuff for the day.

4. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Just from a consumers perspective if I have a lite version and it is completely fully functional only ad-supported then I will not even consider buying the full version. I am far more likely to buy your full version if the lite version has annoying time/score limits that make me want to play more rather than just ads. Now if you had limits *and* ads that would be a real incentive to buy the full version, but not a fully functional but ad-supported lite version.

5. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks for the replies,

my game runs in landscape and uses all the screen (480x320) as playable area, you move a ship by touching anywhere on the screen, at any speed/direction.. so I was thinking on placing the ad (320x48) in one corner with transparency, so you would be seeing the ad all the time, and given that it would share playable area, it would be annoying..

I have only had less than 50 paid downloads which is pretty poor for me, and the lite has been downloaded like 500 times.. thats why I'm thinking on turning the lite full+ads..

comments ?..

6. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    You'll make pennies, unless you do have 300,000 impressions/day.

But admob has "houseads" which are custom ads you can design and point to any URL or even another app. It's a good way to provide an ingame link to your paid version.

7. Black Hive Media

Black Hive Media Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    We have a free app that at one point was at 250 downloads in one day. That day, we made $0.10 from AdMob. 10 cents. You have to have SERIOUS traffic to make anything worth a damn, and 250 downloads in a day is decent traffic, but not for AdMob since only a fraction of a fraction of the people actually click the ads.

8. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm averaging about 75 dollars a day with WL3D free. Peanuts compared to the paid version, but it's something. This with around 160k impressions a day and by using mobclix (fullscreenish ads).

Considering how much it lowered the conversion rate, it wasn't worth it. But I'd have to resubmit and everything.... Xmas season should be better anyway. :)

9. ziggyeye

ziggyeye Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I have to say it really all depends on the app.
    My app with 200K CPC Impressions make $60 a day pretty consistently (banner ads). It's more of a user generated content app so I don't have to do much.
    I don't know a paid version would do as well since there's already paid version by competitors. My advantage is to give all features away for free instead of a lite version.
    My lite games on Greystripe don't do nearly as well.
    I'm still investigating other ad services. Quattro? Mobclix?
    I'm trying to maximize revenue but not rock the boat too much since $60 a day for not doing much is pretty good.

10. vbovio

vbovio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    very interesting... so with admob you earn by clicks, and with mobclix by impressions (fullscreen) ?

$60 or $75 sounds pretty good for me..

11. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Mobclix seems to be a better service than admob on my initial research. It's difficult to find out how much mobclix pay.

The biggest complaint I've heard with admob is that while an advertiser might be paying 60¢ per click, the publisher (developer) receives about 5¢ of that 60¢ (8.3%), the rest going to admob. Not a very sizeable share when compared to something like google adsense, where the publisher (developer) generally receives 78%.

12. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore