Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #721  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
tricket tricket is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack the Knife View Post
hey tricket,

i wouldn't feel cheated as you usually pay for additional content but i probably wouldn't invest as i've played this game lots, and like it allot, but i'm ready for something else, not more of the same if you get my meaning. simply put, how am i going to learn FTL or play the Hearthstone expansion if i play more of this? (this may be the same reason i can't keep a girlfriend very long )
Fair enough. I've been tempted to create a fake Australian iTunes account myself, so I can play the latest Hearthstone on my iPad.
Reply With Quote
  #722  
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Mack the Knife Mack the Knife is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 360
Default

on second thought , since the game is so cool i'd probably pony up 99 cents for new content but i'd probably revert back to my sheltered life if it were more.
Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old 04-12-2014, 02:17 AM
jicon jicon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricket View Post
Hey there, everyone! We had a question for you, since everyone here has been really helpful in helping us figure out how to advance the game.

We've added in a few Prestige Levels, and some simpler levels in the Tom's Travel Agency, but we'd love to do a full set of new content, that could have:
* A new map
* At least one new background theme (like ice, or swamps, or something)
* New monsters, with new powers
* New cards that come into play for the new levels
* Possibly new towers

.. in other words, lots of new stuff. However, we can't afford to do that right now as a free update. If we were to look into doing that, and see if we could do it as a $1 or $2 in-app purchase (which would work for any accounts you make on the device), would that be a good thing? Or would you feel cheated that you had paid for the game, and now we're charging you more? (That's a totally reasonable response, by the way -- it just means that we'd have to hold off on new content for now, since we can't afford to do it without charging.)

Anyway, let me know what you think!
For probably unfair reasons, I keep comparing this game to Monsters on PS3. I have a tonne of fun with both.

Pixeljunk ended up publishing a expansion, which was a new island, as long as the normal game for I think just slightly less than the full game, which I happily paid, and included a limitless game map, that was randomly generated. Still play it today.

So, I'd be up for say.. $5 it if it offered the same amount of maps as what comes with the game I think, with the new cards... Or charge whatever the gem equivalent is?

If it is a small set of levels only, maybe offer it for a buck, or 2000 gems?
Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old 04-12-2014, 02:41 AM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricket View Post
Hey there, everyone! We had a question for you, since everyone here has been really helpful in helping us figure out how to advance the game.

We've added in a few Prestige Levels, and some simpler levels in the Tom's Travel Agency, but we'd love to do a full set of new content, that could have:
* A new map
* At least one new background theme (like ice, or swamps, or something)
* New monsters, with new powers
* New cards that come into play for the new levels
* Possibly new towers

.. in other words, lots of new stuff. However, we can't afford to do that right now as a free update. If we were to look into doing that, and see if we could do it as a $1 or $2 in-app purchase (which would work for any accounts you make on the device), would that be a good thing? Or would you feel cheated that you had paid for the game, and now we're charging you more? (That's a totally reasonable response, by the way -- it just means that we'd have to hold off on new content for now, since we can't afford to do it without charging.)

Anyway, let me know what you think!

I love this game and the sheer mass of content in it - so if you're going to add loads of stuff like you've mentioned, shelling out another 2$ (or 3) for this expansion should be perfectly fine for me.

But I am already expecting the same rage as in Tiny Thief with all those cheapskates going like "noooo! I already paid for the product, why not a free update?" or "not more than a dollar!". Seriously, don't sell your product below its value. And a new map with several new levels, monsters, cards and stuff should take A FEW MONTHS to develop. This people are just sick and need some serious reality check treatment. Or just look up how much it costs to develop an iOS title over 3-6 months.
And sorry to sound harsh here, but you are so wrong. 'Cause feeling cheated would be a FRIGGIN' UNREASONABLE response from everybody who'd state that. I mean, what the heck? They already got a COMPLETE and HIGH-QUALITY product for the initial price - there's no reason NOT to sell additional stuff which took you months to design.
That would be like me asking 2k to give me all Borderlands 2 dlcs for free because I already bought the basic game.

But this is iOS gaming - home of the cheapest. I am not targetting anyone here, just the general attitude is getting more disgusting each month. It's embarrassing for me as a gamer to be part of it, sometimes. Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft would laugh at these people and just continue selling their additional stuff.

And you know what the most embarrassing fact is? My impression, that devs need to start asking people if it is ok to sell them additional content at a fair price.
That's the stinky topping on a nice cone of avar-ice.

Last edited by Vovin; 04-12-2014 at 03:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 AM
tricket tricket is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
I love this game and the sheer mass of content in it - so if you're going to add loads of stuff like you've mentioned, shelling out another 2$ (or 3) for this expansion should be perfectly fine for me.

But I am already expecting the same rage as in Tiny Thief with all those cheapskates going like "noooo! I already paid for the product, why not a free update?" or "not more than a dollar!". Seriously, don't sell your product below its value. And a new map with several new levels, monsters, cards and stuff should take A FEW MONTHS to develop. This people are just sick and need some serious reality check treatment. Or just look up how much it costs to develop an iOS title over 3-6 months.
And sorry to sound harsh here, but you are so wrong. 'Cause feeling cheated would be a FRIGGIN' UNREASONABLE response from everybody who'd state that. I mean, what the heck? They already got a COMPLETE and HIGH-QUALITY product for the initial price - there's no reason NOT to sell additional stuff which took you months to design.
That would be like me asking 2k to give me all Borderlands 2 dlcs for free because I already bought the basic game.

But this is iOS gaming - home of the cheapest. I am not targetting anyone here, just the general attitude is getting more disgusting each month. It's embarrassing for me as a gamer to be part of it, sometimes. Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft would laugh at these people and just continue selling their additional stuff.

And you know what the most embarrassing fact is? My impression, that devs need to start asking people if it is ok to sell them additional content at a fair price.
That's the stinky topping on a nice cone of avar-ice.
Thanks, everyone -- and Vovin, you made me laugh with your note and examples (better than crying, right?).

I do try to see both sides of the payment stuff ... as a developer, we obviously need money to live, and sometimes people do seem to think we're driving sports cars lined with platinum. I really like to try to figure out a reasonable "cost per entertainment unit," whatever that might be ... like, how many hours of enjoyment should you get for $1, or whatever.

As you say, though, no matter what we'll end up getting some people to rage at us. I remember a few years ago, we released a game called Fingerzilla that was popular. We noticed that it got put up on a pirated site and got millions of free downloads (we could tell from the difference between Apple sales and OpenFeint accounts for the game). We kind of shrugged and figured, "oh well," until the owner of the freebies site put up a, "Please pay for our site! Don't just download the games for free! It costs money to host them!" I (very unwisely) posted on their forums that perhaps it was a bit hypocritical to host pirate games, but then complain that you aren't getting paid for it ... and man, did they tear me a new one! Funny, really, in hindsight.

Anyway, back on topic -- we'll probably try to release smaller batches of content, for smaller prices, so that people can do more sampling of it. If you think of the existing game as three short chapters, each with a visual theme (desert / forest / haunted), and maybe 8-10 initial levels ... then try a new "chapter" for a buck, or something, providing a new theme and new monsters and whatnot. That way people could buy (say) three new chapters for $3 or so, and roughly double what the initial game has ... or they could just buy one chapter's worth, and decide that was enough for them.
Reply With Quote
  #726  
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricket View Post
Thanks, everyone -- and Vovin, you made me laugh with your note and examples (better than crying, right?).

I do try to see both sides of the payment stuff ... as a developer, we obviously need money to live, and sometimes people do seem to think we're driving sports cars lined with platinum. I really like to try to figure out a reasonable "cost per entertainment unit," whatever that might be ... like, how many hours of enjoyment should you get for $1, or whatever.

As you say, though, no matter what we'll end up getting some people to rage at us. I remember a few years ago, we released a game called Fingerzilla that was popular. We noticed that it got put up on a pirated site and got millions of free downloads (we could tell from the difference between Apple sales and OpenFeint accounts for the game). We kind of shrugged and figured, "oh well," until the owner of the freebies site put up a, "Please pay for our site! Don't just download the games for free! It costs money to host them!" I (very unwisely) posted on their forums that perhaps it was a bit hypocritical to host pirate games, but then complain that you aren't getting paid for it ... and man, did they tear me a new one! Funny, really, in hindsight.

Anyway, back on topic -- we'll probably try to release smaller batches of content, for smaller prices, so that people can do more sampling of it. If you think of the existing game as three short chapters, each with a visual theme (desert / forest / haunted), and maybe 8-10 initial levels ... then try a new "chapter" for a buck, or something, providing a new theme and new monsters and whatnot. That way people could buy (say) three new chapters for $3 or so, and roughly double what the initial game has ... or they could just buy one chapter's worth, and decide that was enough for them.

Good reply, well-chosen words; thanks.

Yeah, I remember Fingerzilla very well and the pirate debacle.
Was a nice lesson in "how to screw up a screw once more"... yeah, you live = you learn.

About the monetization... why don't you use a system like Steam does, like in "give the people options to chose"? Like a "Seasons Pass" for all three chapters (which unlocks the episodes for free after release) for $2 and at the same time offering every new content update for $1 as soon as it is available, for the rest?
This way, you'd also give the people. This would also be a fair move for the early adopters. And nobody can complain because it was his/her choice.

Last edited by Vovin; 04-12-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #727  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
shaymon shaymon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 158
Default

I would easily pay a couple bucks for an entire campaign. I know some will be offended but hey, you guys need to make money. I'd rather pay a few bucks every few months and get some updates versus no updates. My only concern is most of us will have pretty insane decks by then so I think some things need to be added so it's not so easy for us. I also think there needs to be some bosses added . the prestige levels did an ok job at making them more challenging so I know you guys can pull it off.

As to the pixel junk monsters mention. That is still one of the best TD games out there IMO. Might be a good game to get some inspiration for your next venture
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent