Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh let's see, really?

REALLY?

Cough9MM ZOMBIE INFECTION BROTHERS IN ARMS SPLINTER CELL SILENT OPS GANGSTARCough must I go on?

THIS GAME TOPS THE OUTPUT OF EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE GAMELOFT GAMES.

No lie.

2. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I could be wrong here... but I think you're hinting that you maybe like the game? :D

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I seriously don't understand this post. How on earth did you get the impression that I was saying this game was inferior to those? I'm seriously confused.

4. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    To me, gameloft is synonymous with generic. You do have a valid point that I haven't had a ton of time to play it...but that point should also hold with every positive impression posted so far. People are hailing it as one of the best ever after a few minutes with it. I'll keep on playing it, and am open to changing my mind, but I just guess I don't think the iPad is very good at mimicking console style games.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Fair enough.

6. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

7. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    There are alot of little missing things that are kinda bugging me besides feeling like a slow slug. All games like this have a roll feature or sprint. I miss crouching and clicking to zoom. I'd like a dive to wall command like gears. Who didn't love slamming around walls. So maybe the gameloft mention was just about how the little things are missing like gameloft games which are always missing soul. If those elements could be tweaked like in the sequel it would lead to a more perfect console experience. I still love that I am able to play this game and it's very special. A new standard is hard to achieve and you guys did it.

8. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Forty minutes into the game and Im already stuck. Where do you go after you beat the first boss in the second level?

9. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    All I can figure is that maybe he's referring to a control scheme similar to Call of Duty Zombies (on iOS of course)? That does have a pretty good control mechanism in my opinion. For anyone unfamiliar, you move a fire/aim virtual button on the bottom right side of the screen and to fire you tap. If you haven't played CoDZ then it might not make sense but it does work out well. I for one would be happy for a similar control option made available in a future update to Shadowgun.

Anyone else playing this on Hard difficulty and getting their sack handed to them? I can't even get past the part in the first level after you take the elevator. Good stuff.

Glad for a game giving you the option to play on Hard difficulty WITHOUT first having to play through the entire damn game first.

10. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    No, but locking the movement pad allows you to aim by dragging anywhere on the screen that isn't the movement pad itself. I thought that was what he meant...

12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Thanks. I just thought that since I'm using an iTouch 3rd Gen, that the games text is worse...(?)

13. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree.

That's why I have a 360 as well as 3DS.

The funny thing (not a flame war, just a simple comparison don't get butthurt people, k?) is that games on the 3DS have dynamic lighting and shadows cast on walls. I've actually played one: Resident Evil: Revelations (demo is included on the RE: Mercenaries 3D game). Since, iOS is comparable, and more "powerful" I am left wanting for those techniques.

Quite puzzled why Shadowgun didn't incorporate them, I was hoping to see that used in the game.

14. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    The intro seems curiously low resolution as well, almost artifacted...:confused:

15. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Well, this isn't a console style game or trying to mimick a console game. It is a console quality game, meaning that it could be played on a console, not that it is trying to copy or mimick a game on a console. For iOS, this game is hard to beat right now.

16. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Im downloading right now, this is my first ios purchase in about a month or so. This may put me back into the ios gaming bandwagon.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Comprehension skills these days are going straight down the gutter!

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Shadowgun has dynamic lighting, but it doesn't have dynamic character shadows. But the fact is, most 3DS games don't have them either. I haven't played RE: Mercenaries (because, frankly, the game seemed like a warmed-over rip off at $39), but from what I saw on the reviews the game has low-poly enemies when they're at any distance, poor performance with multiple enemies on screen, and god-awful AI. Until we get the PSP Vita (according to the hype, anyway), handheld gaming is all about compromise. I think Madfinger chose the right things to focus on.

19. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #119 Pacificsun0481, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    I enjoyed this game, I can't wait to really dig into it full steam.

Here's a thought though:

I've been eager for Shadowgun since June. It's finally arrived, yet, I'm barely playing it.

The run up to the release was full of eager anticipation...the desire to savor this joyous experience on my powerful tablet.

But here I sit, critically on the message board neglecting the gem, I've been given by virtue of my income.

Why could this be?

As a gamer, since my formative years, I would play games feverishly and for hours. Adult life, hasn't dented that dynamic any less.

I ponder this thought, going back to my stack of wonderful experiences, left half played and never beaten to the core of their experience - by my articulate fingers, jumping from button to button with eyes transfixed in a stupor or glaze...

Has iOS diminished my hardcore? Ever since, I've become the collector. Buying up an entree of game, to merely chew and never taste the future bites. Leaving heaping leftovers, I'll never eat again.

This ADD gaming complex has me riddled? What's begotten my gaming ways?

Why can I not find the soft spot where I play, play and cherish the play some more?

Is it the addictive rush of the purchase, digitally transmitting for load up, sight see the mere virtual world only to close the tour, multitasking over to the next big thing?

Am I alone?

Madfinger deserves better than my unnerving practice, by virtue, a syndrome of instant gratification.

I really need to finish more games.

:eek:

20. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    #120 caltab, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    I just have alot more fun playing games like where's my water and jetpack joyride on my iPad. I love gears of war on xbox, but for whatever reason I just don't think that type of game has translated well to iOS, and this one is no different. I want to like it, I paid 8 bucks for it, but I just don't. Also, I haven't seen it mentioned but this game has really long load times on my iPad. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying. The game is a graphic marvel no doubt.