What do you like more - to tap, to swipe, to tilt, ... ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AR Studio, Oct 22, 2012.

1. AR Studio

AR Studio Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Hi guys,
    It's interesting for us to know what kind of controls do prefer in mobile games? In other words, what do you like more - to tap, to swipe, to tilt your device? Or probably smth else :)
    Looking forward to your feedback!

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Personally I like tapping the most. But ideally you should leave more control options for your game so everyone can decide for themselves which controls work best for them

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree there should be alternative controls

Depends on the game but i wish devs would see what works well, a platformer like League of evil works best with on screen buttons. When a dev then creates a platformer and its swipe only its ridiculous.

Not a fan of swipe/tilt games but for some certain puzzle games it works well.

But again surely see whats worked well in the past. So often theres a platformer with crazy tilt controls and then (presume due to poor sales) they agree to add alternative controls in the next update.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #4 Bool Zero, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Personally I hate tilt controls with a passion. Even the most fun game gets deleted if it only has tilt controls for me, and there are not any games that come to mind that seem to get the feel right, though some are close. I can't stand it in other forms of gaming either. Then again I can't think of a game that utilizes the sixaxis controls on the PS3 since their launch titles.

I'm admittedly not the market for the control scheme though, I own an iPad not a phone, though I have played on them and iTouch and still found tilt controls to be too flighty for my liking...

(Edit): I do agree though, that players should have the option when possible as it applies to the game.

5. AR Studio

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks for opinions guys!
    Seems like no one likes to tilt :)

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It totally depends on what kind of game it is...

7. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    It depends on the game and the approach you take.

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This!

9. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Some tilt games work great like doodle jump, tilt to live, temple run, jet car stunts...

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Tilt is the worst control method ever. For every game that uses tilt effectively, there are over 10,000 that are unplayable because of it.

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Tilt was never meant to be used as a standalone control, but mainly as a special feature that can be or not be used to spice up the controls/gameplay a bit.

Some games couldn't exist without the accelerometer, so I wouldn't say it's the worst thing ever to happen to mobile controls...

12. Sky

Sky New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Geek Squad
    Two words: High Noon. Probably my favorite shooter of all time. Shame it doesn't have a campaign.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I prefer tap. Swipe works for certain games to me. Games like Fruit Ninja or Infinity Blade works fine with swipe for me. But I have a hard time with swipe for "platform"-ish games or games like Temple Run. I generally don't like tilt, but it works for certain games to me (ie: Tilt to Live, Dark Nebula 1/2).

But providing options, with sensitivity controls is always good since everyone has different preferences.

14. Depends on the type of game. Usually don't like tilt, but driving and motion games work great for it. So kind of depends.

15. AR Studio

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks for your feedback guys!
    We absolutely agree on the point that a lot depends on the type of game actually. Some kind of controls can work great while another one can turn out to be a disaster :)
    Also, great point about giving a player a possibility to choose controls type based on his/her preferences.
    In addition, trying different types of control in a game could probably help diversify the game process somehow.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I also think its absolutely necessary to beta test your game with people outside your own company. Might seem obvious but quite a few times now i see games where they've been stubborn and gone with one control system and havent listened to people

The game comes out, obviously doesnt sell well as they then agree to a new control system in the update.

Lots of people here will beta test your game and give you honest opinions, its worth doing, asking people to test. 'Some' devs can be too stubborn, insist their new fangled control system is the best and then fall flat on their face when it comes out and people arent impressed.

Its like putting your kid in a talent show, you'll think they're the best no matter how bad at singing they are!

17. AR Studio

Jul 5, 2012
    Absolutely! Beta-testing is an essential part of our strategy.

18. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Count me in! I dislike tilt controls! =p
    Plus, I always find it weird when i see people play games with tilt control on public transport. XD

19. AR Studio

Jul 5, 2012
    Agree, it may look really ridiculous :D