Virtual Joystick for Jumping Too?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fermenter, May 15, 2014.

1. Fermenter

Fermenter Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Hey Touchers, I'm working on some virtual joystick controls for my game, David. To anyone who has played David, or any 2-D platformer really: Should jumping be handled by the joystick as well, or should it still have a separate button? Right now I have it so that the joystick handles it all, but it just feels weird. I'm not sure if other games even do this or not. Feels weird though. Really loose and clunky. The point of the joystick in my game was to free up a hand, but I don't think one hand can handle both left/right movement AND jumping. SO, I'm starting to lean towards keeping a jump button, but I can be persuaded. Any opinions? The joystick definitely feels better (for left/right movement) than the D-Pad option on a bigger-screened device; no more stretchin' them thumbs!

Any help/advice/opinions/cake is appreciated!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm surprised devs dont check out other similar action platformers to see what they do.

100% think you should have a jump button, i cant think of one platformer i've got where up on the joystick also acts as jump.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What he said ^^

4. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I got used to that kind of controller with Terraria.

But i strongly suggest a separate jump button.

5. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm blown away by this. Also, Denton is very specific, I guess you're a student.

6. Have you ever considered ios 7 game controller support or icade support? These are much better options than touch controls for many games, and one thing in your game that I would like is an option too for smaller buttons closer. Or better yet, joystick controls. Thanks.