GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #221 mkaen, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

2. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    There are a lot of platforms and high ground areas that are just out of Mikey's reach. We didn't mean for it to be too tricky. We just want Mikey to take another path. :eek:

3. oddryan

oddryan Member

Aug 24, 2012
    #223 oddryan, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Went through every challenge level and polished my times, now it seems impossible to beat my total score. #1, baby!!

4. oddryan

oddryan Member

Aug 24, 2012
    #224 oddryan, Aug 25, 2012
    SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!(!!!)

Theyre around 6% through the level, you can jump upward through a narrow gap, then slide to the right.

SPOILERS OVER :)

5. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Spoiler tag, man! ;)

6. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    If you do a lite version I would recommend putting new levels in because you will get people who have bought the paid version to download it because they want new content. This will help push the lite up the charts. Also if you do this leave Game Center on so people can compete.

And last but least after the lite version has been out for a couple of months bring those levels back into the game. We did this for Jet Car Stunts and it certainly helped sales dramatically.

I not sure if this would alienate people (we never tried it) but you could add some ads into the lite version to gain extra revenue.

I would also look at Jet Car Stunts for features you could add to the game. Like a challenge mode, ghost racing connected to peoples high scores so people can see how other people compete. This maybe difficult now to do because Openfeint no longer exists but it maybe worth looking into the GREE sdk. By adding more features in you will gain more frontpage news and you may also grab Apple's attention for a future feature.

This game is brilliant and deserves all the success it can get :)

7. oddryan

oddryan Member

Aug 24, 2012
    My bad, it didn't even occur to me

8. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I think this is a terrific idea. I was a skeptic after watching a video, but decided to give the game a chance for a buck. The videos do not do justice to just how perfect the controls feel. You guys have done a marvelous job with what is sure to become one of my favorite iOS games.

9. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    #229 qpawn, Aug 25, 2012
    It's okay, but there's an actual spoiler tag you can use from: http://forums.toucharcade.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Like this: [spoiler]I'm a ghost.[/spoiler]

Highlight this:
    I'm a ghost.

10. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I'm so glad/stupid I got this. I needed to get through 40 pages of my APUSH textbook tonight, but that's not happening...:D

Seriously though. This game is incredibly fun. It's the epitome of an iOS platformer. I finally broke through to the top 10 on 2-2 (~30 minutes of fun, hard work).

11. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Yeah, I definitely support this. A separate lite version is always absolutely fine xP

12. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for all of the great ideas! Unfortunately, given our scarce amount of time, I think we are shooting for a simple lite version using the existing Area 1 levels. So far, those levels - especially level 1-1 - have proven to be really popular amongst all of you, and really show off what the game is about.

But I do like the idea of new levels. Just a lot of work at the moment. We will definitely leave GC enabled so people can battle it out in the lite version. Note that those lite GC leaderboards will be different from the full version.

And I think we'll stay away from ads. They might prove useful, but I'm guessing the extra work isn't worth what we'd make back (which is probably not a whole lot).

Great, thanks! And your story is the exact reason we want to create a lite version, because I'm guessing a lot of people are on the fence, but choose not to buy. I also think that given all of the glowing 5 star reviews we've gotten, and the fact that this thread already has 11k+ views on it.

Thanks for the input! And since I'm responding to you, we are still looking into the GC bug. There is something really weird about submitting to GC, while offline and it succeeding. It shouldn't! We're working on that, but we are hoping to now get a lite version out as quick as possible. It shouldn't take too long to for that.

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    Thanks! I'd tried that jump numerous times but didn't think it was possible! Thank you :)

14. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Never say never a guy a few days ago said it would be impossible to get 27.16 on level 1-1 now look ;)

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Woke up this morning to find my 10 year old son had beaten all my level one times on his mum's ipod so i cracked it on on my phone and then caught sight of my 5 year old looking for the hidden shorts on my iPad. We have never all played the same game at once. Fantastic. An absolute gem of a game.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    What a great game this is.
    I've tried a lot of speedrunners on the Appstore, but none of them really held my attention for very long.

This one did!

The only minor complaint I have is with the iPad controls..
    I really wish the buttons were bigger, or that we had an opportunity in settings to alter the size of the of the buttons.

I miss a lot of moves when trying to slide, and jumps instead, or vice versa. Looking at screenshots, the buttons have a good size on the iPhone.
    On the iPad, the buttons are tiny compared to the much bigger screen.

Other than that, I'm having a blast with the game.

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Cool, I just stole the local crown from the 2 creators of the game? didn't even know that.. Lcb12321

Rank #1 challenge mode local.. Only 30 global though :/ (it's ok I haven't even 3 starred all the challenges yet)

Never saw any golden shorts? Guess I'll have to look for those...

Wearing my crown right now :) (#1 local to unlock). I wonder what #1 global gets? Think I saw him post here...?

18. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Lol local is scores on your idevice only and people who play on your device , the other names are there just so list is not blank and they are just made up times with 1/2 second difference between them ;) sorry to burst you bubble but least your the best that plays your device :D

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Probably he's the only one playing on his device so it's not that hard :D

20. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    I was trying to make him
    Feel better for walking round in his crown and not feel so stupid lol ;)