Hi, im new here. How can i create an iPhone app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by KoOne23, Apr 20, 2010.

1. KoOne23

KoOne23 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi, im new here and i really want to create an iPhone app myself. I have no idea at all how to create one. The only thing i know is to buy the dev's software thing from Apple then does i need to learn OBJECTIVE-C? Will anyone tell me steps by steps and kindly don't refer me to sites. There's also one thing. Do we create game by typing codes? Im very curious about this, how can we create a game? by inserting codes or drawing the pasting.

Thx for those who helps. :):):):):)

:D:D

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Obviously we code. And you're asking too much. No one would bother to tell you step by step on how to code. You want to see sites like http://icodeblog.com, and you can search for threads like this.

A new one comes out every week or so.

3. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

There are a ton of books as well. Just go to Amazon and do a search - then you can see how well you can learn the language. Do that before you drop the $100

4. Teaching someone how to code would take hours a day for months just to get someone proficient enough in the language to be able to write a simple game on their own. There's no practical way anyone would be able to, or even want to do that without being paid for it. It isn't a simple matter of slapping a few codes together and pasting in some graphics. It doesn't work like that. The average game typically consists of thousands to tens of thousands of lines of code, to say nothing of the graphics, sound and music generally required.

To program iPhone games you need, at a bare minimum:

- An Intel-based Mac of some description,
    - A book on Objective C or a series of tutorials from websites,
    - Either a lot of free time in large chunks, or smaller chunks of free time over a longer period. Think months at a bare minimum
    - An aptitude for thinking logically, and for being able to approach logical problems creatively helps a lot.

Directing you to sites and/or books to buy is the only practical way to point you in the right direction to get started.

5. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Are you required to use objective c. I'm pretty proficient with java...

6. It isn't absolutely necessary to learn Objective C; you can use C/C++ if you're more comfortable with it. Java won't work though. There are also alternate languages/methods for creating iPhone apps, such as GameSalad and GLBasic, but you still need a Mac with the SDK installed to be able to compile to iPhone.

7. MilchMann

MilchMann Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany

Muhaha - I really laughed very good xD :D

8. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    As a systemengineer - not working with Apple products though - I'm WHAAAT :eek:
    Is that correct - that there is no SDK for Windows?

9. Yep there is no SDK for Windows or Linux.

That's a good thing actually... I just can't imagine coding for iPhone OS using VisualStudio :eek:

And answering to the main topic:
    I'm experienced programmer but it took me at least a year to really understand how to properly write apps for iPhone and that is without 3D...

10. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    Maybe gamesalad would be an better choice for you. I love it. But it has some limitations.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Everybody can tell that you are German... :p

12. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    What is gamesalad...nvr heard of it.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Why would there be? If you develop for Nintendo you buy Nintendo dev kit, if you develop for Sony you buy Sony dev kit, if you develop for Apple you buy Apple dev kit.

I hear that there's an amazing web site called "Goggle" or something that will get you answers to that sort of question instantly, without having to wait for replies on forums....

--Eric

14. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I love these posts. It's so cute! :D And I don't mean that in a derogatory way (but that's how it must seem). Usually, it probably goes down like this: kid loves to play games, is very enthusiastic about it, however has no programming skills whatsoever, and wants to make his own game. But doesn't realise how much talent, knowledge and hard work is required! You used to see that all the time on those free MMORPG forums or even game development forums.

Sorry, KoOne23, I don't know you and don't mean to patronize you. Maybe it's just your wording. Some clever people with absolutely no experience do end up creating amazing things!

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What is Google...nvr heard of it.

:p

16. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #16 amroc, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Being a bit pedantic... but the preferred development platform for both nintendo and sony consoles is actually on windows (VS), and although they do require devkits, those devkits could be thought of as analogous to an actual iDevice.

However I still don't agree that you should be able to dev for iDevices on windows machines. Apple have their own excellent OS and programming IDE, Sony and Nintendo don't.

There really is no sense in Apple spending loads of resources in developing and maintaining their entire xcode libraries for windows. What would the end result be of all that effort? They'd sell fewer macs...
    And also, it's not like developers need more convincing to develop for iDevices ;)

17. APP-MASTER-360

APP-MASTER-360 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    #17 APP-MASTER-360, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Anything cheaper than$15 bucks. A book would be easier for me, cos I can progress quicker, my dad can use the computer when he needs to and my parents think I'm into reading again. Win win situation. Can you provide the link if there is any? thnx.

Edit:

Found some :)

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-BEGINNING/dp/B001TM92AW/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272023199&sr=1-65

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-iPhone-Development/dp/161564010X/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272023199&sr=1-64

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I hear that there's an amazing web site called "Bong" or something that will get you answers to that sort of question instantly. ;) :D

The development environment being on Windows being the key point here...I think if you want to develop for the PS3 and your team just had Macs for some reason, you'd have to suck it up and buy Windows, yes?

--Eric

19. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

Hey! I remember your message from Twitter btw. :)

Since you don't have a background in coding, maybe you can try a simpler "rapid-application development" tool like GameSalad?