Duo Pinball controller pairs in Blutrol BUT...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sold, Feb 7, 2013.

1. sold

sold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    The controller is recognised and Blutrol connects the device through BTStack when using the connection options for the iControlpad, Zeemote, PhoneJoy, and Bluetooth keyboard, but even after setting up the on screen controls, no button presses register. Icade mode would not connect because a PIN was required.

Obviously the device is not supported at this time, but it is promising that the current controller profiles allow it to be connected. Is there an official board for Blutrol anywhere?

It would kick so much ass if the devs supported this controller. Screw Discovery Bay and Gameprom. More people would buy their products if they weren't being so greedy and locking down their devices. In the end, it's two buttons and a slider. (Don't even get me started on the Duo Gamer.) Blutrol support would make the Duo Pinball controller so much more awesome if it could be used on all the ios pinball games.

2. Unfortunately, all joysticks in ios are basically tech demos. At least the duo pinball and duo gamer do show a lot of promise, but unless Apple comes out with something, we are probably doomed with all these joysticks that aren't universal for all games. Too bad.

3. sold

sold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    #3 sold, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    I have the sneaking suspicion that the Duo devices are just mapped differently to the other devices currently supported by Blutrol. If that is the case, the Blutrol devs could probably add support quite easily. Nobody is reinventing he wheel here:) But there is a bunch of money to be made by keeping consumers in the dark. Aren't all of Apple's products running off some kind of tweaked out version of unix after all?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that IMHO Ion are going about things the right way with the iCade products and the All Star Guitar (previously known as Guitar Apprentice if I recall correctly.) E.g. The All Star Guitar is Core Midi compliant and works with pre existing music apps when configured correctly though Midibridge as well as their own free app. If their products are merely "tech demos", then they are showing their competitors how to do it right. For all we know, the Duo products might even use the same key map as the iCade, but their devices won't connect when you select iCade in Blutrol without a PIN.

4. Iphoenix

Iphoenix Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Any news on this? Hope i can use it for pinball arcade and zen.

Then i will buy this.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    That's true, and with that being said, I won't be buying any of these garbage controllers until if and when that happens.

6. Iphoenix

Iphoenix Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Is this dead? Or still a chance i can get this to work with other pinballgames?

7. sold

sold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    #7 sold, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    First, I asked the blutrol guys through twitter about Duo Pinball support and got no reply. Then I gave up waiting and modded my Duo Pinball controller using a board from an MSI BGP100. It now works with all the pinball games available on iOS using the Phonejoy settings in blutrol. It also works with PC games too using the software that comes on the BGP100 installation disc.

The trade-off is that the plunger no longer works because there was no way I could figure out to connect it to the contacts on the donor board. But on the up side, it is powered off the Duo's battery pack :) I will start a new thread with instructions if you guys are interested, but my work is pretty rough, so I don't have pics of the internals.

Edit: An added bonus of replacing the board in the Duo Pinball is you can use an app like hipporemote and an appropriately modified gamepad profile to control pc pinball games with nudge/tilt and camera controls all from the Duo Pinball with your iPad. You can map two buttons to the Duo with Blutrol, which means you don't need to pair to the pc via bluetooth at all :) I'll post a video soon of some pinball arcade on ipad and future pinball and pro pinball on the PC using this setup.

Edit2: As awesome as HippoRemote Pro is, it suffers from just enough lag to be sucky for gaming input. Maybe the devs will fix this in the future, but for now Blutrol coupled with Joypad Legacy is a much better option. The Duo and the iPad together make for a kick-ass pinball controller for PC. And Joypad Legacy has accelerometer support for mouse which may mean more realistic nudge/tilt controls, but I haven't tried it yet. I think this topic needs a new thread now :)