Classical/cinematic composer available (for free)

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by heathenpoet, Jan 23, 2010.

1. heathenpoet

heathenpoet Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    #1 heathenpoet, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Hi there,

I'm a music graduate and composer, looking to build a portfolio to eventually make the scary jump from office drone to freelance later this year.

I'd be interested in any opportunities to compose original music for upcoming games. I'm a classical composer and songwriter, and my orchestrations tend to be quite full/dramatic/cinematic, with a penchant for unusual time signatures and some dissonance. My composition and songwriting also tends to be quite narrative, and I have a passion for musical theatre/cabaret, so would be particularly interested in games requiring incidental music to assist in storytelling.

I can provide notated score and/or midi files - I'm not sure how music is usually supplied for games..? I guess it varies...

Please get in touch if you're interested - I'm really keen to get any projects on the go! I can send you some recent samples. I'm afraid I don't have a website to point you to yet, but it's in the pipeline...

All the best,

Matt

PS. Here is a recent track I've been working on orchestrating. It's in progress, but you get an idea... fuller orchestration kicks in around 2mins, change of feel around 3mins.

2. drewse

drewse Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Sent you a PM

It sounds good and I sent you a PM.

3. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    it definitely does vary! :) midi / mp3 / ogg / pcm (raw) so many ways - depending on how busy the games are; there may be different alternatives for music - you don't want to be spending 20% of your time decoding an mp3 if you need as many FPS as you can! :p i would say formats vary on a case by case basis - MIDI is good; as it lets it be small - but you can also convert to pcm, mp3 et al.

4. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks! I'll get back to you shortly :)

5. heathenpoet

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks very much for this. I plan to soon invest in some decent orchestral samples so I can output better-sounding MP3s if required (my friend made the above for me from a MIDI file) - I just need to look into how best to go about this.

This might be a stupid question - showing my lack of techy knowledge - but isn't a MIDI file just the information... sequence of notes/volume etc... without containing any actual sounds or samples? So the device needs to be able to playback midi and have a basic bank of synth sounds?

Thanks again for the advice!

Matt