Sword & Penguin: Top-Down D&D Themed Action Puzzler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stroffolino, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    We're looking to enlist some beta testers.

The game features a collection of single-screen hand crafted puzzles, with a dash of real-time action and fantasy theme. It includes a built-in level editor and email-powered level sharing/challenge system.

Please reach out to me if interested. I'm happy to share more info via PM.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Any pictures or videos?

3. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Malaysia
    Yeah, need more info like some screenshots and video.

4. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not planning to post screenshots or video publically in the near future, but am happy to share via PM for any folk that may be interested in this type of game. From a gameplay perspective, the game is largely complete but there is currently a great deal of placeholder art using Zelda and Gauntlet assets that I need to modify before producing a public trailer.

I will post more details tonight and follow up with the folk that have already reached out to me via PM. My main purpose in wanting to bring in beta tester now is to get feedback on the core game and level design, and to collect preferences on graphics style.

Phil

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah well you would get more testers if you would show at least some so we would understand what is this game about. Cause honestly, I think I'll pass this beta test as I don't wanna jump in too many betas especially blind-folded.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You had me at D&D.

7. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Here's the some of the text from the private page shared with the folk that followed instructions and shot me a PM. Hopefully some of them will be up for giving it a spin and providing feedback.

Gameplay Overview:

The goal of each stage is to collect a key, then get to the exit. Keys may be guarded by monsters and/or traps. Items must be collected and used to deal with traps. There are over a dozen unique enemies that may appear on levels.

Controls:

The hero is currently controlled with a 4-way dpad, though other control options (including line drawing) have been tested and could (pending feedback) be re-enabled. Some powerups let you interact directly with the playfield - for example, if you've collected bombs, you can tap the play area to place bombs wherever you like.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Okay now I'm interested! Still taking testers? And when will beta start as I am awat for a week

9. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Now Coming SOON!

Well, things sure have changed since we put up this post oh so long ago, but hey! Here we are! We are currently just jumping through some submission hoops still hoping to release the game soon.. like REALLY soon! So to get folks caught up on what we've been doing these many months, I thought I would post the first public screenshots of the game! Hooray! The game mixes action and puzzling and is filled with tons of really great challenges... I can say that because Phil made most of the levels. ^_^

Attached Files:

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow! Epic thread-necro but with progress like that I'm not complaining. The gameplay in those images seems small, it's hard to tell but I get the sense this will be awesome.

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Sword & Penguin - Coming Soon!

The polar bears have invaded the penguin kingdom and egg-napped your younglings! Use your wits and agility to become the legendary hero. Solve hundreds of quirky puzzles. Defeat the mighty bear army and its bosses!

Sword & Penguin features a level editor for showcasing your own creations & ability to solve them.

Supports touch, swipe and MFI controller input.

Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPad, and newer devices.

Sword & Penguin has been approved by Apple, and is scheduled for a July 2nd release. Video and other goodies coming soon.

[​IMG]

12. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    #12 Louard, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014