Need help on best way to start

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Adrenaline, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Adrenaline

Adrenaline New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hi all,
    I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time to read this in advance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Okay, here goes:

I have been kicking around this idea for an iPhone game for a while. I've been developing the ideas, the way the game should function, etc. I'm getting to the point where I need to see it action to proceed. Of course, I know I will need to hire a developer to make the final product for me but here's the issue right now: it's a physics-based puzzle game, and I need to play with it in order to create the puzzles. I need a game that functions as a level-editor, right?
    Should I be hiring a developer to make the bare bones of the elements and create a level-editor? That means I'll be paying for almost 2 complete games --- the level-editor and then the final product after I make the puzzles. Or is there some other way around this part of the process that I'm not aware of?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You might want to post this in the Developer Services and Trade section - http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 - I think it'd be a good idea to get feedback from developers who are out for hire as to what they can do for you in your particular situation.

And just off the top of my head - if there are going to be a huge number of levels, which by the sound of things, there will be - depending on what program their using to write the game in, or if they're going to write it all from scratch - they would probably be creating a level editor anyway...

3. Adrenaline

Adrenaline New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks!

I assumed there would be some kind of level-editor in order for the puzzles to be created, but does that imply that there would an interface for me to use and freely work on the levels? It seems like a logical assumption, but since I haven't done this before I can never be sure.