Starter RPGs?

11-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Starter RPGs?

Hello all.

I recently discovered I kind of like RPGs. However, they can be overwhelming for a newb like me, so what are some simple games to dip my proverbial toes in?

I like the kind where you die a lot and have to keep starting over with more upgrades and better stuff, like Infinity Blade and Dungelot. I guess that's called a "rouguelike"?

Free is good, as I'm still trying to figure out what I like at this point.

Any help?
11-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Cavern is great. Also the Kingturn (SRPG) games are free to download and try.

The following RPGs are more streamlined and might be better for beginners:
Dungeons & Such
QuestLord
Nameless: The Hackers RPG
Cthulhu Saves the World

AurumnBlade is a free action RPG; same with Dragon Knight IV.
WarlordRevival and Doom&Destiny are both more recent JRPG style games worth trying.

11-09-2013, 02:08 AM
There are a lot of good steamlined/simplified roguelikes or roguelikelikes on iOS if that's what you're looking for. Off the top of my head:

Cardinal Quest
100 Rogues
Endless Depths RPG
Cavern
Bit Dungeon
Dungeon Plunder
Minotaur Maze
11-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Try the shorter Kemco RPGs. They are quite easy and you won't really screw up your character build.
11-09-2013, 07:16 AM
No love for Wazhack?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
No love for Wazhack?
I wouldn't call that a simple or starter RPG.
11-10-2013, 11:45 AM
RPG Quest: Minimę fits the bill -- RPGs don't come much simpler. For a dawn of the App Store title, it's still getting updates.