★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

To Developers : What do you think about Appstore ios 11?

10-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Iíve been thinking about this too.
On one hand, curation is good in promoting the quality games that are available out there. The less the AppStore looks like a dumping ground for hundreds of trash games and fart sound apps, and the more it is viewed as a marketplace for quality gaming experiences, the better it is for promoting iOS as a gaming platform on whole.
On the other hand, it puts even more concentrated power in Appleís hands. Thatís good for Appleís business, but it presents a huge challenge to indie developers, and it threatens the view of the AppStore as an open and accessible space where any developer can make an honest effort and honestly hope for success.
TA, and other sites, could provide a much more effective counter balance, and a window for discovery. But Apple likes to make things unnecessarily challenging with what would seem to be beneficial to all involved.

Honestly, Iím looking at Steam moving ahead of the AppStore again in terms of the place for game discovery and accessibility.
One benefit with the power of mobile devices catching up with computers is that more games are able to port from PCs and Steam to use mobile as a second market for exposure. iOS-only development looks like the bigger risk.
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zq7r View Post
I am actually pretty optimistic about the new store. I have been watching the "Today" section every day. This is providing many new opportunities to get featured. Also apple is regularly featuring games as old as 2 yrs in this sections. This means that after you release a game, if you don't initially get featured you still might get featured down the road.
I've been experiencing good things and think it's a big win for Indie developers. Now you don't have to compete as hard with apps like Facebook, Instagram and other non-games. Putting the "featured" games up first helps new games get more downloads. The separate top charts are easier to crack as well.

Cheers,

Dave
11-04-2017, 01:48 PM
I remember back in the day checking the new apps list every day. Obviously it has been a long time since that was feasible and discovery has become the biggest problem on the app store. I think aesthetically the iOS 11 app store is very nice, but I agree that it almost feels like discoverability has gotten even worse. That being said, it is an incredibly difficult problem to solve and I don't have the answer for that.
11-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Iíve been thinking about this too.
On one hand, curation is good in promoting the quality games that are available out there. The less the AppStore looks like a dumping ground for hundreds of trash games and fart sound apps, and the more it is viewed as a marketplace for quality gaming experiences, the better it is for promoting iOS as a gaming platform on whole.
On the other hand, it puts even more concentrated power in Appleís hands. Thatís good for Appleís business, but it presents a huge challenge to indie developers, and it threatens the view of the AppStore as an open and accessible space where any developer can make an honest effort and honestly hope for success.
TA, and other sites, could provide a much more effective counter balance, and a window for discovery. But Apple likes to make things unnecessarily challenging with what would seem to be beneficial to all involved.

Honestly, Iím looking at Steam moving ahead of the AppStore again in terms of the place for game discovery and accessibility.
One benefit with the power of mobile devices catching up with computers is that more games are able to port from PCs and Steam to use mobile as a second market for exposure. iOS-only development looks like the bigger risk.
I'm told that if you don't want to lose the Steam crowd, then you need to release your game on Steam first. If you release it on mobile first, then Steam, it'll give the Steam audience the impression that it's some "lousy, throwaway mobile game", and they won't bother with it. OTOH, iOS users have no such negative views on iOS games that were Steam first releases.