Ketchapp copy my last game. What can I do ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Honikou, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Honikou

Honikou Member

Sep 13, 2013
    #1 Honikou, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Hi,

My game Reverse Basket have been copied.

Original from Honikou : Reverse Basket
    Copy from Yuri Sanachev : Dunk hoop

What can I do ?

Apple's rule : 4.1 Copycats Come up with your own ideas. We know you have them, so make yours come to life. Don’t simply copy the latest popular app on the App Store, or make some minor changes to another app’s name or UI and pass it off as your own. In addition to risking an intellectual property infringement claim, it makes the App Store harder to navigate and just isn’t fair to your fellow developers.

2. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    This happened a lot especially with shall developers like yourself. Sad to say but I think u are pretty screwed here, I've seen it before with Ketchapp taking another's idea/game and using it, sadly will no doubt see it happen again. I hope it works out for you!

3. Honikou

Honikou Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Thank you for your reply. That isn't normal that apple don't remove copycat !

4. Ghulam_Jewel

Ghulam_Jewel Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Didn't know Ketchapp was owned by Ubisoft! I think you shouldn't dwell on it too much and move onto your next project. Since the idea itself is very basic you won't really able to do much about it as there are many clones or similar ideas that have been done already before.

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

There is really nothing you can do about it.

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

There is really nothing you can do about it. That being said, you should link to your game in a thread like this so people can see your game.

7. Potato Toot

Potato Toot Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Dec 25, 2017
    Male
    Indie Game Dev
    United States
    Sorry to hear that. It happens a lot. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Legally, I mean. You can keep posting about it and notifying as many people as possible, at least the alleged thieves will get some bad press and maybe a bad rep because of it. You can post in the game's reviews too...
    But, it is my understanding that stealing the mechanics of a game is not stealing. Only the art assets can legally be protected. At least you know you had come up with something that someone else thought was worth stealing (small consolation, sorry)
    I'd say move on and create another good game. You will eventually develop a reputation for being able to consistently put out good games. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

8. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Actually, there is no rules against idea copying. If there are no idea copying then we won't be seeing other car companies than Ford. Amirite. TBH, ideas should be allowed to be shared among mankind. That aside, what you can protect however is your IP (Intellectual property), ie what you create in your game, like a character design, world design and so on. Those are yours.

And you also could be looking at it on the positive side - Ketchapp game is probably going to help boost your game's rank since it is similar-genre. You could also post a comment on their appstore page with your game's name.

For me, I did similar thing back then when Dong Nguyen pulled out his Flappy Bird so I made a copycat game (more as a learning on Spritekit for myself really). It did not catch on at all. However, these days the game does not matter much it is the marketing that do the most job. So even your game is good and fun to play, if you don't spend on marketing, it'll just get buried anyways.

9. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

#9 antony.thai, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Did you send them the game then they decided to clone your game?

Sometime, the developer that copied your game wasn't Ketchapp but somebody else, they just published it. Some indie devs around me are prevented by Apple because of some similar points of their apps compare to another. The action of Apple was quite clear for me so far. However, after seeing Voodoo release a shitty clone of Impossible Road (which is my favorite game that inspiring me on creating Sky Dancer), I don't understand this world anymore. Sad.